DVDs scanned with SH-S182D, not supported but can something be said about scans?

I have a Samsung SH-S182D DVD burner and Samsung DVD player (from the year 2003). Although this burner is not recommended for scanning can something be said about these scans? Or are they totaly worthless?

I’m a bit worried that my dvds are not ok because I get a lot of PI errors (4281764) PI failures (502544). I have made backupimages of my HD so I really would like to know if they are allright! Unfortunate I don’t have a Plextor DVD drive to scan them.

From time to time burned dvds (DL +R, +R) can’t be read by both drives and DVD changes to CD-rom station. I burned one DL DVD but verification failed in Nero because of too many errors.

It is all new for me so forgive me if these are stupid questions.

I can post the scans here if necessary.

Many thanks in advance! :bow:

That would be great. Also you could tell what type of media do you use

From your description i guess that you’re getting very high PIE/PIFs at the beginning of the disc, right ? In this case your particular drive is a very lousy scanner.

DVD Burner: SH-S182D, Firmware SB04
All media burned with Nero 7.5.22.2

1. Philips 16x DVD+R MBIP6101 R05 (DVD #1)
    Scanned with Samsung SH-S182D:

Scanned with Samsung DVD drive

1. Philips 16x DVD+R MBIP6101 R05 (DVD #2)
    Scanned with Samsung SH-s182D:

Scanned with Samsung DVD drive:

1. Philips 2.4x DVD+R DL RICOHJPN D01 (DVD #3)
    Scanned with Samsung Sh-S182D:

No report from Samsung DVD drive, computer crashed, drive probably doesn’t support DL disks.

1. Fujifilm 16x DVD-R MBI 03RG40 (DVD #4)
    Scanned with Samsung SH-S182D:

Scanned with Samsung drive:

Your worries about the media are legitimate. Try to get some real dvd media like Verbatim

Thanks! So the Philips dvds are crap? Good to know!

These results are too bad even for Philips and Fuji discs. Something’s not right with your drive or setup IMO. I wouldn’t waste time testing with the DVD-ROM, the results don’t look very useful.

That’s strange, i’ve burned a Mmore dvd+r 16x @16x with sh-182m and these are the results:

And i’ve got the same id, that those discs… pretty good IMO.

btw: you’ve got a old firmware, i believe there’s the 06 version for your drive.

Can you scan it in your Samsung, rakter?

I also scanned with the Samsung DVD player from 2003, I thought this one was more reliable because it is older but these results can’t also be trusted?
How do I find out if the setup is wrong? I really need to know if my backups are safe!

I would appreciate it if you could do that! :flower:

Hi,

The easiest way is, to try copying them back to the harddisc. No scanning capable drive is needed for that.
You might also do a “benchmark test” (aka TRT) withing CD/DVD Speed. Any slowdown in the read curve might indicate issues with the readability of your discs.
A “quality scan” might only give you a rough indication, if any (and your DVD-ROM doesn’t provide useful results at all). Together with the TRT (transfer rate test) you can estimate the state of your discs.
Since none of your TRTs are flawless, I’d reburn the discs onto good known media. I wouldn’t consider your backups safe at all.

Michael

Don’t forget that a samsung scanner isn’t as reliable as a LiteOn, Plextor or BenQ.

I’ll post the samsung scan asap, and i believe that my samsung scanner is pretty similar to the Liteon.

Scanned @8x on the samsung, very similar results.

I will do that asap.

You might also do a “benchmark test” (aka TRT) withing CD/DVD Speed. Any slowdown in the read curve might indicate issues with the readability of your discs.

I have done that, see pics above. The SH-S812D is showing hickups, the Samsung drive doesn’t.

Another question, if the dvds turn out to be fine but the burner can’t read dvds properly, can I safely use this for installing software/my backups? I guess it will produce errors also?

Hi,

The 182 is one of the best drives to read back bad discs. If any slowdowns are shown when reading a disc with this drive, I would not trust this disc at all. You are lucky to have that old DVD-ROM drive, that has less issues (perhaps since it reads at slower speeds), but this drive can go bad sooner or later.

Another question, if the dvds turn out to be fine but the burner can’t read dvds properly, can I safely use this for installing software/my backups? I guess it will produce errors also?
See above. These discs [I]are [/I]bad, I would not trust them at all. Provided, your 182 is not defective, of course. But to rule this out, you’ll have to try the discs with a 3rd drive (maybe from a friend).

Michael

Thanks.

Really? I thought that Samsung drives were useless for this. They are blocked in Nero by default.

I can’t get Verbatim here (only brands like TDK, Sony, MMore, Platinum, Philips), and through the internet it will take too long.

I went back to my retailer, and I can return it for testing. I think I wil do that instead instead of waisting a few more dvds.

Give it one more try: first “Create Disk” tab in CDSpeed and then “Disc Quality” + post results (screenshots) for both.

P.S. Samsung is blocked for scanning, not reading :wink:

I think it will be useless I guess when I use the Philips dvds.

P.S. Samsung is blocked for scanning, not reading :wink:

Now I’m confused. So the Benchmark and the Quality Disk are scans? So I need to read them? When I did that I got green blocks.

Copying the data back to the HD from the burner also works fine. Or do I also need to recover my data?

The results you posted are not typical for your combination of drive and media. That’s why I’m trying to determine whether it’s possibly a problem with your setup.

Now I’m confused. So the Benchmark and the Quality Disk are scans? So I need to read them? When I did that I got green blocks.

Copying the data back to the HD from the burner also works fine. Or do I also need to recover my data?

“Scanning” in our jargon only refers to the “Disc Quality” tab and its PIE/PIF error scans. Reading would be what happens when you copy the data from the DVD to your Hard Drive for example. Your discs are still readable, but only marginally so (which is confirmed by the scan results and TRT slowdowns).

Thank you all for your help so far. Here are the results: