DVDs Ripped with DVDFab 4.0.6.2 Crash VideoLAN

vbimport

Hello,

I contacted support about this a few days ago, but have not yet had a response. Is was wondering if anyone else is able to reproduce the problem.

All my DVDs are ripped in FullDisc mode, with ‘Change DVD Playback Order (Jump to first menu)’, and ‘Remove PGCs’ enabled. The ripped data is stored on a network share, and played by by various devices around the house.

Since upgrading to 4.0.6.2, all newly ripped DVDs crash VideoLAN when I try to play them back (It’s actually an assertion failing in libdvdread). They silently fail to play in the OS X dvd player. PowerDVD will play them, but doesn’t skip straight to the main menu, and finally Vista Media Center appears absolutely fine.

In version 4.0.5.5, apart from a few exceptions, everything seemed fine.

Can anyone else reproduce this problem?

Regards,

Chris

Hi Chris,

Bummer…:sad:
I haven’t tried any Full Disc rips with 4.0.6.2 yet.
VLC is my favorite player and Full Disc, one of my favorite modes since the addition of PP and it’s capability to alter playback order.
I generally burn these rips to DL media, but still watch 'em on my rig…on occasion, anyway. This stinks.

I’ll give it a shot and post back

I have no idea if it is related, but I noticed that latest versions of VLC player are not able to play some video files that previous versions are able to play.

Some times I’m forced to use a previous version of VLC to play these files. Luckily, I can do this using the portable version of VLC. I’m not sure that is possible to install more than a single version.

I just ripped and burned Michael Clayton.
I realize that you’re using 4.0.6.2, but I’ve already updated to 4.0.6.5 Beta.
Although I generally can revert to a previous version without a problem, I have encountered issues 2-3X over the past several years and since all seems well with this version, I’m hesitant to experiment.
My son has also “borrowed” my older rig (great for experiments)…I’m not sure why, since he has a new build as of 06/07…:bigsmile:

Michael Clayton, R1, Full Disc with PP and navigation features enabled
(screenshot attached).
Anyway, here’s what I found.

VLC opens the movie (hdd) without issue. Opens to first menu (I believe this is normal with software players even though [B]Jump to main title when disc inserted [/B]is enabled). Here, I can either wait for the menu to play (takes about 25 seconds) and then the main title simply starts or just click start from the menu.
I’m able to navigate the files in a normal fashion.
Just an FYI… apparently, the blurred image of George (in the main menu) is intentional. Both the original and bkup demonstrate this. The flick is crystal clear.

Burned disc plays without issues…plays main title when inserted into standalone player (no action taken by the user). This is normal behavior.

Perhaps a simple update to 4.0.6.5 Beta would resolve your problem?
Hope this helps.

[QUOTE=geno888;2004759]I have no idea if it is related, but I noticed that latest versions of VLC player are not able to play some video files that previous versions are able to play.
[/QUOTE]
Hey geno, appreciate the info.
I’m not able to reproduce any of the problems that either you or the OP describe.
I’m using version 0.8.6a. I see version 0.8.6d is the most current.
Anything specific about the previous files or which version you began to see the problem?

I have an old .flv file file that only version 0.8.6a is able to read. All other subsequent versions are not able to read the video :frowning:

Hello,

Thanks for the replies. I’ve upgrade to 4.0.6.5b, but the problem persists. I’ve ripped ‘One Foot in the Grave, Series 4 disc2’ (dvdid 5c628b76|3cfa6fb6) using 4.0.1.2, 4.0.6.2 and 4.0.6.5b with identical options (Skip to first menu, remove annoying PGCs) in FullDisc mode. 4.0.1.2 plays just fine everywhere, whilst 4.0.6.2 and 4.0.6.5b both crash VideoLAN in exactly the same way,and neither will play on the OS X dvd player. I’ve no hardware players to experiment on unfortunately.

Comparing all three versions VIDEO_TS.ifo using IfoEdit, something has changed betweem 4.0.6.2 and 4.0.6.5, but I’m not familiar enough with DVD technology to know what.

I don’t think this is related to your problem, gino. The crash occurs in libdvdnav, so is dvd specific. Are you able to generate any new flv video that show the same symptoms?

Regards,

Chris

[quote=cjk32;2004684]Hello,

I contacted support about this a few days ago, but have not yet had a response. Is was wondering if anyone else is able to reproduce the problem.

All my DVDs are ripped in FullDisc mode, with ‘Change DVD Playback Order (Jump to first menu)’, and ‘Remove PGCs’ enabled. The ripped data is stored on a network share, and played by by various devices around the house.

Since upgrading to 4.0.6.2, all newly ripped DVDs crash VideoLAN when I try to play them back (It’s actually an assertion failing in libdvdread). They silently fail to play in the OS X dvd player. PowerDVD will play them, but doesn’t skip straight to the main menu, and finally Vista Media Center appears absolutely fine.

In version 4.0.5.5, apart from a few exceptions, everything seemed fine.

Can anyone else reproduce this problem?

Regards,

Chris[/quote]

The problem persists in both 4.0.6.5b and 4.0.8.0b. Is no-one else experiencing this?

Chris.

I just ripped White Noise 2 in full disk mode using 4.0.8.0b and opened the folder up with VLC 0.8.6e and it worked just fine.
So I am not seeing the issue that you are seeing. :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=DaGeekster;2011345]I just ripped White Noise 2 in full disk mode using 4.0.8.0b and opened the folder up with VLC 0.8.6e and it worked just fine.
So I am not seeing the issue that you are seeing. :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

Update - I just finished ripping 30 Days of Nights (R1) using pathplayer and selected the same options of removing annoying PGC’s and Jump to main title. I opened the folder just fine with VLC 0.8.6e and it did just what is should do. It jumped straight to the movie with out any problems and it is playing in the background right now just fine. I actually copied the folder over to a network share to see if maybe that had any effect. It still is working fine.
I suggest that you do a clean uninstall per StormJumpers signature link then uninstall VLC. Once VLC is uninstalled make sure that you do a clean up of the registry then reboot, reinstall DVDFab and VLC the recheck by doing another burn to see if maybe that fixed the issue.

:slight_smile:

[quote=DaGeekster;2011369]Update - I just finished ripping 30 Days of Nights (R1) using pathplayer and selected the same options of removing annoying PGC’s and Jump to main title. I opened the folder just fine with VLC 0.8.6e and it did just what is should do. It jumped straight to the movie with out any problems and it is playing in the background right now just fine. I actually copied the folder over to a network share to see if maybe that had any effect. It still is working fine.
I suggest that you do a clean uninstall per StormJumpers signature link then uninstall VLC. Once VLC is uninstalled make sure that you do a clean up of the registry then reboot, reinstall DVDFab and VLC the recheck by doing another burn to see if maybe that fixed the issue.

:)[/quote]

Hello,

Thanks very much for trying to reproduce this, and for the pointers on what to try.

Using ‘Jump to main title’ works just fine for me, the problem only occurs when I rip with ‘Just to first menu’ selected. Would you mind trying one more test, doing a FullDisc rip with PathPlayer and ‘Jump to first menu’ selected, and seeing if that works with VideoLAN?

I’ve done a clean update of VideoLAN to 0.8.6e and that didn’t affect anything. I’m just about to try a full uninstall and reinstall of DVDFab, and will report back on whether that has any effect.

Regards,

Chris

[QUOTE=cjk32;2011889]Hello,

Thanks very much for trying to reproduce this, and for the pointers on what to try.

Using ‘Jump to main title’ works just fine for me, the problem only occurs when I rip with ‘Just to first menu’ selected. Would you mind trying one more test, doing a FullDisc rip with PathPlayer and ‘Jump to first menu’ selected, and seeing if that works with VideoLAN?

I’ve done a clean update of VideoLAN to 0.8.6e and that didn’t affect anything. I’m just about to try a full uninstall and reinstall of DVDFab, and will report back on whether that has any effect.

Regards,

Chris[/QUOTE]

Hi Chris,
I was able to duplicate the issue with VideoLan 0.8.6.e when selecting “Jump to 1st Menu”. Now I am not sure which is the problem but I suspect that Fengtao or Ting will have to look at this one to see what is going on.

Regards,

Larry

[quote=DaGeekster;2012012]Hi Chris,
I was able to duplicate the issue with VideoLan 0.8.6.e when selecting “Jump to 1st Menu”. Now I am not sure which is the problem but I suspect that Fengtao or Ting will have to look at this one to see what is going on.

Regards,

Larry[/quote]

Hi Larry,

Once again, many thanks for your time and effort.

I did try doing a full uninstall, clean, reinstall of DVDFab just in case, but it didn’t help any. As you say, hopefully Fengtao or Ting will get round to looking at this. I’ve emailed support a few times, but not heard anything back yet.

Regards,

Chris.

Hi Chris,
A little bit more information for this one. I tried AVS DVD Player 2.1 and it just keeps repeating over and over again loading DVD video then pops up with “path\folder\VIDEO_TS”. It never plays the DVD folder.
I then tried PowerDVD and it jumps straight to the menu after a short delay.
I tried Nero Showtime and opened the folder with it, what happens there is that nothing will play but you can select root menu and then play movie and it works then.
In AutoGK it gives “A field order transition was detected.” and recommends to use Fix D2V tool to repair the stream.
So I really think that it is an issue with DVDFab not setting the VIDEO_TS file correctly but I am not totally sure.

Regards,
Larry

Wow, Thanks,

I don’t have quite such a wide range of players to try here, but of the four I did manage, two had problems.

I’m not too familiar with the DVD format, but am intending to try and have a play with IfoEdit and see if I can a) understand it a bit better, and b) identify what the problem actually is.

An ideal long term solution would be to roll something myself to do the PathPlayer bit with a bit more flexibilty. I was imagining something that would the allow user to specify which cells to skip, and which options to select from any of the menus, then to rewrite the DVD exactly as if they had been pressed.

Regards,

Chris

Hi Chris, I have the same problem you reported with VLC being unable to read an ISO image produced by DVDFab Platinum.

In addition to the VLC issue, I found another symptom. I want to use DVDFab Platinum to transcode an ISO of one of my disks for use in a portable player. When I try to select the ISO image as input, it fails. So, DVDFab Platinum can’t read its own output. If I use the original disc, it works.

Larry

[QUOTE=cjk32;2013314]I was imagining something that would the allow user to specify which cells to skip, and which options to select from any of the menus, then to rewrite the DVD exactly as if they had been pressed.[/QUOTE]

Chris,
Check out DVD-Rebuilder (http://www.jdobbs.com/) it might be just what you are looking for. It seems to work pretty well.

Bump

[quote=DaGeekster;2013491]Chris,
Check out DVD-Rebuilder (http://www.jdobbs.com/) it might be just what you are looking for. It seems to work pretty well.[/quote]

Thanks,

I’ve only had a chance to take a very quick look, as I’m pretty busy at the moment. I does look quite promising though.

The problem still persists in 4.1.0.2 by the way.

Regards,

Chris

[QUOTE=digiphotog;2013410]Hi Chris, I have the same problem you reported with VLC being unable to read an ISO image produced by DVDFab Platinum.

In addition to the VLC issue, I found another symptom. I want to use DVDFab Platinum to transcode an ISO of one of my disks for use in a portable player. When I try to select the ISO image as input, it fails. So, DVDFab Platinum can’t read its own output. If I use the original disc, it works.

Larry[/QUOTE]

not sure if anyone is testing this. im gonna do test this right now. using dvdfab platinum 4102, pathplayer always enabled, clone mode iso, convert to generic, default mobile settings. season three part 2 entourage disc 1.

oh and vlc 086b win32