DVDs: +R vs -R

I’m still trying to figure out which is best for what.

I’ve read a post here about how +R are technically better, but that isn’t too helpful for the use department…

So far, I have concluded that:

-R = Better for things you want to load into a standalone DVD player (i.e. video and audio)
+R = Better for everything else (i.e. Data, anything computer-read.)

Would this be a fairly accurate rule of thumb…?

I would say so, also consoles seem to like DVD-Rs better than DVD+R.

\\VH////
:slight_smile:

Neither of my standalones will play +Rs so I have no use for them.

Well my aging writer only can write DVD-Rs so its all iv ever used.

\\VH////
:slight_smile:

This is the same old on going question that gets the same answer. 6 of one, 1/2 dozen of the other. In my case I have to dissagree with VirusHack as all 5 of my standalones will play +R media. And thats Bitset and not Bitset. My stand alones are 2 Sony’s and 3 CyberHomes. But I’m for sure not saying this holds true for every player. It does however hold true for me. It’s just a matter of trial and error. But I’ve yet to see a stand alone not play a +R disc that was set to Bitset for the burn but that’s just me.

And thats Bitset and not Bitset.
Huh?
also consoles seem to like DVD-Rs better than DVD+R
Are you referring to standalone players?

Well I’ve never actually tried but the manual to my Toshiba DVD says that +R disc don’t work

I will paste a older post i made

First of all i thought bitsetting was bullshit made up to make people purchase those +R discs, but after seeing devices with my own eyes play +R set as DVD-ROM while -R and +R (+R) would not even be detected, i was impressed.

PS2:

Plays -R but does not like +R (+R) but +R (DVD-ROM) zero problems.

Sisters DVD rom drive:

Reads -R very slow, struggles to read +R (+R) but +R (DVD-ROM) reads at its max speed (16x).

Friends old dvd player:

-R = no disc
+R = no disc
+R (DVD-ROM) = Film plays fine without freezing/skipping.

+R is the clear winner for my needs but everyone to their own.

Most (not all) newer players will play both just fine. Dvd -r used to be more compatible for the plain and simple reason, dvd-r has been out on tha market longer so standalone manufactures made players compatible with it sooner. In a few instances (like playstation 2) it was intentional that it did not play +r for copy guard reasons. In a few other instances the manufacture may have just chose not to include +r or -r support. Many of these players were capable of playing a +r but didn’t even try. They saw the +r id, said this is not a compatible disk and didn’t even try to read it. A bitset dvd+r identifies as a dvd-rom. Every standalone player will try to read a bitset dvd+r as it is identifying as a dvd-rom (same as a retail purchased dvd). In some instances it will still not be able to read it but it will always try if it is bit set. Some players may still say, this is a dvd-r which is an unrecognizsed/unsuported format and will not even try to play it. That is why a bitset dvd+r is more compatible than a dvd-r. With older players dvd-r is more compatible than a non-bitset +r (because -r has been on the market longer so they included support for it earlier). With new players, you have about the same chances of it supporting a dvd-r or a non-bitset dvd+r but the best compatibility is still the bitset dvd+r.
Outside of compatibility, their is no real advantge to +r or -r though some burners may like one beter than the other (it would seem that in a few instances, even with the same model burner, diffrent drives might like diffrent medias).
Personally I use more + media but that is because my first burner was 4x-r, 8x+r. I wanted the faster burning speed so my favorite medias wound up being +. Thier are - medias that burn just as well for me as + does (though I have used less of these disks and or less types for the above reason).

just buy a bunch of + media and make sure you have a drive that can bitset and you should walk away a winner.

Oh ripit…

Your in for some heat now. Even though you know I agree with you 100%, when the Old Salty Dog sees this he’ll be barking up a storm with his negativeness. Thats OK though, I’m ready for my Sunday laugh.:bigsmile:

Mark

I have a Ricoh RW 5240 +R+RW, its burns perfect everytime with good media and the backups play in my pioneer 105 Rom as well as My Xbox (Samsung HD) also every other stand alone i can find to try

Cheers Win

I’ve always loved Ricoh drives. They have always made some of the strongest optics in the industry. I still have an old SCSI 6201 that works, lol. I just can’t wait 40 min to burn a CD-R anymore, lol.

Anyway, some of the real cheap standalone players will play DVD+R, but they don’t mention the capability to do so in the manual. This suggests that it may or may not read them, mostly likely depending on the DVD+R used (dye type used). The same may be true for the console systems, certain disk brands work better than others rather than disk type (DVD+R/-R).

I remember when I was still backing up my Playstation 1 games and certain brands did work better than others. Ricoh CD-R media (using they’re own special dye back then) would take longer to read or at times would not read at all, while Verbatim media (Mitsui or Mitsubishi chemicals, I can’t remember) never ever had a problem. It would make sense to me that this could carry over to DVD media and reading devices.

No, videogame consoles (ie PS2, XBOX). :wink:

Yo-

I use -R medias 'cause my setup and burners respond to them better with quality burns without coasters - which is perfect for me-

I get marginal results with +R medias - even Taiyo Yuden 8x +R which is supposed to be bullet proof-

On the other hand - I have a very good friend that has a Sony based burning system that responds well to +R medias and not -R medias-

So it seems that a lot of factors go into the equasion to determine the best for any particular user-

One constant:

“Good Media = Good Burns” “Crap Media = Crap Burns”

Mike

how do AI “bitset” my burner?

What type of drive do you have?

Nero has a box somehwere that you can tick, and it will do the “booktype bitset” to DVD-ROM. If the writer supports it, of course.

There are other programs that will do it.

sorry im late in replying I have a sony 710 DL which is a liteon 1633s.

You should be able to just tick the “Booktype Bitset,” box in Nero when doing your burns as Mikie said. If you’re using different software, or just want to “Auto-Bitset,” all your +R’s to DVD-ROM, (which alot of people prefer), search the Lite-On forum and I’m sure you’ll have your answer in NO TIME.

JD