DVDs in the sun - UV Test - MBI VS Umedisc VS Verbatim VS Maxell Protek

How fast will a DVD degrade when lying in direct sunlight with the data surface Up?

Tested in July/August 2016 with 8 hours of direct sunlight a day

Picture 1: scan after burning
Picture 2: 1 week
Picture 3: 2 weeks
Picture 4: 3 weeks

Platinum 16x MBIPG101 R05

Intenso 16x Umedisc AML 003

Verbatim 16x Made In Taiwan MCC 004

Maxell XTreme Protek Maxell 003

Wow, unfortunately I never get Maxell 003.

Normal DVDs never like sunlight, BD-Rs don´t like high temps

Test (German)

https://www.test.de/filestore/4119083_t201008040.pdf?path=/protected/14/36/c0347785-057b-4056-9f3a-74186a18b444-protectedfile.pdf&key=99826E059A7DB66641BD6AAE6C303B84F90662B6

The results of MAXELL 003 are impressive.

There are special kinds of archival DVDRs that can handle exposure to UV light, high or freezing temperatures or even boiling water, like M-Disc or Data Tresor Disc (all tests are in Czech laguage):
http://diit.cz/tagy/data-tresor-disc

Nice tests!

The Maxell Proteks have a special UV protection I read somewhere. And it’s very hard to make scratches on them, they have a surface similar to a Blu-ray.
In the first and oldest DVD drives they are sometimes not readable because of the special protection.

Indeed! :iagree:

3 weeks = death for the other media it seems.

In the old days when I burned and tested a lot of DVDs, I used a VHS-DVD combo player to test playability, because it really disliked bad burns and bad media more than other players. So anything that played in that player would also work anywhere else. That player did NOT like the Maxell Xtreme ProTek 16x DVD+R (MXL 003) and would refuse to play them. It had no problem playing Maxell Xtreme ProTek 16x DVD-R (MXL RG04), however.

Why is the error spike at the inner edge in this graph, and at the outer edge in some others?

Thank you for this interesting experiment, Bird Scare.

I will do similar quality test experiments, but I will go swimming one day at the pool with a CD-R.

CD-R is more suitable than DVD for the swimmingpool test due to the exposed data layer, where degradation becomes visible more easily.

Try scanning the disc using IsoBuster.
How many LBAs had uncorrectable reading errors?

Are these ISO10995 like Verbatim Archival Grade?

Try leaving it under sun for an even longer time.
How far does the error count increase?

@Vogelschreck Do you do something with optical discs occupationally?

I already threw the bad discs away.
Except the Maxell Protek, which is still good.

Maybe the dye is a bit thinner where the errors get high first.

No, I don’t do something with optical media at work.

Does it have an ISO/IEC 10995 certification? It performed very well!

I just wonder about how high the errors could have gotten before the first errors were not correctable, how many PIF/PIE errors the disc still could have had, and which drives would fail to read it first.

The BE14NU40 even failed at an undamaged ISY DVD-R and PrincoBudget.