DVDs Have No Free Space

Hi all,

Got a new PC with Sony Q30 DVD rewriter, which says it can write to DVD-RWs, so I bought some cheap DVD-RWs from PC World (PC Line is the make). It says 1-2x speed on the packaging as well.

The problem is when I put them in the DVD drive, they appear on XP with “0 bytes free”. Is this because the DVDs are crap or is it a problem with the drive? - I can play games, DVD movies and copy stuff to CD-RWs fine, it’s just these DVD-RWs that don’t appear to work properly.

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

I think that’s normal. Have you tried to actually burn to them yet? My CD-Rs show up as zero bytes but still work.

I don’t have any DVD burning software yet but have tried it using Windows XP. When I try to copy a file to the DVD window (where, with a CD-RW it would normally appear as a temporary file), the file doesn’t get pasted.

Also, when I put a new CD-RW in, it shows up 702mb available, whereas with a DVD it just shows 0.

Try some real burning software, they should be fine.

yes everything (amost) that windows says about dvd is idiotic :(, you need a burning program like nero

Thanks, I’ll try and get hold of one or at least d/l a trial and see how it goes.

I don’t have any DVD burning software yet but have tried it using Windows XP. When I try to copy a file to the DVD window (where, with a CD-RW it would normally appear as a temporary file), the file doesn’t get pasted.

To write to a dvd/±/rw disc in the explorer window the disc has to be formatted for packet writing. This allows you to add and delete files from the disc almost like it’s a mini slower hard drive.

Windows XP built in burning does not support DVDs, only CDs. Also, it only supports packet writing if the disc has been formatted for packet writing by another program, such as InCD.

That’s true jssilva.
It’s funny how Windows packet writing is under license from Roxio. I guess they didn’t want to allow microsoft to cut into their DVD writing product Drag-To-Disc (formerly Direct CD).

Just to follow this thread up, I got hold of Nero and tested burning a couple of mp3’s to a DVD which it did fine. :slight_smile:

I have been burning dvds for a long time but for some reason it won’t work anymore. Using same software & hardware it comes up now and says “Insert disc” but I already had but it would’nt read it.
So checking it our under properties for my dvd drive I found it to be full with no space (bytes) to use. I need some help in how to clear out some space. Have search the net and tried many things but nothing has helped. If anyone knows I would appreciate any help.
Thanks, betlou