DVDs hanging

vbimport

Hi,

This is my first post on here so am sorry if ive posted this in the incorrect place.

I copy some dvds from time to time and find that where as most are fine sometimes i get batches of DVDs that hang mid movie or dont start at all.

I use DVD Platinum to copy them using Infiniti DVD Media Single media.
Most of the movies are strunk to size. Most copies are good but find that sometimes they dont work, i burn at slowest speed and check there ok on normal Xbox.

This current one that is failing is hanging on dvd menu on the xbox, though on the xbox 360 its 100% fine. Tried in laptop aswell and its ok most of it though some areas fail, but dvd menu is fine.

Is this just a simple fact that the xbox player is a little limited?
Or do you think that its a issue with the DVD media/copying program?
When they failed on normal xbox before i just re copied and then it was OK but i am starting to think its the xbox player as the 360 seems to be ok.

The xbox doesnt have issues with the media as some copies are 100% fine.

Please help! :bow:

Read and implement: http://forum.digital-digest.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=49635

I second the link[B] linx05 [/B]gave you.
Pay attention to point #1. I think that is your biggest problem, not the Xbox.

Thanks for your help.
#3 I thought Infiniti media is good stuff, is this cheap rubbish media then? I always thought was media but looked around and didnt see any reason not to buy it.

It took you a long time to figure out, but glad if it worked for you. :slight_smile:

Yeah sorry about that! I do get a fair good set of burns and havent copied many for a while… though i was just going to raise a new thread thinking this one may have been put to the bottom what with its age.

Still getting burn success and problems with playback :frowning:
I checked the media after your reply and found it to be MCC media code, which seems to be good media?

Strange thing is DVD platinum burns fine. The disc is fine in say the xbox 360 but not in the normal, but okay in the laptop.

Other times the xbox normal reads them fine.
Also finding DVD fab sometimes doesnt verify the DVDs correctly, (just hangs and doesnt do anything once burned)

Also got myself a new LG GH20NS10 20X hoping it would help. My reader is a little dated though but longs its reads the DVD, cant see that being the cause

I know stuttering etc… could be allll sorts of causes, any clues? Burn on slowest speed and have latest version of DVD platinum :doh::bow::confused:

[quote=Daxe;2090921]

I know stuttering etc… could be allll sorts of causes, any clues?[B] Burn on slowest speed[/B] and have latest version of DVD platinum :doh::bow::confused:[/quote]
burn at [B]half[/B] the rated speed of your blank discs not the [B]slowest[/B]

With media type is really not easy to say what works.
I use Taiyo Yuden DVD-R/SL, no problem there, burning at rated speed (8x).
Usualy 1/2 rated speed works in general.
I would try to use ImgBurn for burning, it is very good software for that.

ahh okay, never relised that, always burnt slowest thinking if it had longer to figure stuff out, it couldnt be so dumm in doing dud burns! lol :disagree:

With media type is really not easy to say what works.

Yeah though i was lucky as i brought like 10s of spindles of these infiniti at the time, and seems according to this guide to be good stuff. I think its easy enough to say that some brands are not worth even bothering, the type ud get 10 packs for tenner of the market. Found this online and seems MCC comes in the first block :bigsmile:

1ST CLASS MEDIA
Almost flawless burns with 95-100% reliable results:
TAIYOYUDEN, YUDEN, TYG01, TYG02 = Taiyo Yuden = (-R)(+R) … be aware of fakes
MXLRG01, MXLRG02 = Maxell = (-R)(-RW) … be aware of fakes
MCC = Mitsubishi Chemicals = (-R)(-RW)(+R)(+RW)
TDKG02, TTG01 = TDK Corp = (-R)(-RW) … be aware of fakes

2ND CLASS MEDIA
Decent discs, though not perfect, about 80-95% success rate:
PRODISC = Prodisc Media = (-R)(+R)
INFODISC = Infodisc Media = (+RW)
SONYD04 = Sony = (-R) … be aware of fakes
RICOHJPN = Ritek or Ricoh = (+R)(+RW)
RITEK = Ritek = (+R)(-R)(-RW)(+RW)
OPTODISC = Optodisc = (-R)
FUJIFILM = Fuji = (-R)(+R)

3RD CLASS MEDIA
Quality can be very questionable, about 50-80% success rate:
LEADDATA, LD01, LD, LEDA = Lead Data = (-R)(-RW)
BEALL = Samsung BeAll = (-R)(+R)
MBI = Moser Beaur (India) = (-R)(+R)(+RW)
PRINCO, fake TDK = Princo = (-R)(-RW)
ONIDTECH = Unknown OEM = (-R)
MUST = Unknown OEM = (-R)
GSC001, GSC002 = Unknown OEM = (-R)(+R)

4TH CLASS MEDIA
Pathetic garbage media, landfill material, about 0-50% success rate:
RITEKG01, RITEKG02 = Ritek = (-R)
CMC, CMCMAG = CMC Magnetics = (+R)(-R)
PIODATA, PIO = LeadData, Ritek = (-R) … once sold as “Pioneer” but that’s false
Fake SONY, MXL = Fake Sony/Maxell from Hong Kong OEM (Infosmart?) = (-R)
OPTODISC = Optodisc = (+R)(+RW)
AN31, AN32, ANWELL, AN30 = Hong Kong OEM (Infosmart?) = (-R)
INFOSMART = Hong Kong OEM = (-R)(+R)
VANGUARD = Unknown OEM = (-R)
YIJHAN = Hong Kong OEM = (-R)
MATRIX = Hong Kong OEM = (-R)
VDSPMS = Unknown OEM = (-R)(+R)
LONGTEN = Hong Kong OEM = (-R)

ANYTHING ELSE = Unknown OEM or NEW
New medias to watch for: MXLRG03

I was sure it was CMC media but phew!!

Is their any particular settings in DVD fab that i should be changing? I set booktype to DVD-ROM or something, & been using Nero as the burner, might give Img burn a try though :wink:

Any tips on the best way to test a DVD? sick of flicking through a movie at x4 to find a stutter! Its that or watch another time and be half way through your popcorn and baam!! no more dvd :sad:

Thanks in advance :bow:

[quote=Daxe;2090985]
Is their any particular settings in DVD fab that i should be changing? I set booktype to DVD-ROM or something, & been using Nero as the burner, might give Img burn a try though :wink:

Any tips on the best way to test a DVD? sick of flicking through a movie at x4 to find a stutter! Its that or watch another time and be half way through your popcorn and baam!! no more dvd :sad:

Thanks in advance :bow:[/quote]
my dvdfab settings: read= retry 5 times, Write= burning engine VSO: Speed= depends on blank media used but 16x verb at 12x, 8x ty at 8x, 16x ty at 12x, DL verb at recomended. These are what I have for blank media and the speeds I burn them at. Write type= SAO writing: dvd5 size 4472: dvd9 size 8152 for +r: Booktype checked: protection everything checked: Pathplayer always enabled.

[QUOTE=Daxe;2090985]Any tips on the best way to test a DVD? sick of flicking through a movie at x4 to find a stutter! Its that or watch another time and be half way through your popcorn and baam!! no more dvd :sad:
Thanks in advance :bow:[/QUOTE]

To test burned DVD, you can download Nero Speed (free download). Only problem is that not all burners support all the testing options.
You can check this forum in Blank Media section, there is more there on testing.

my dvdfab settings: read= retry 5 times, Write= burning engine VSO: Speed= depends on blank media used but 16x verb at 12x, 8x ty at 8x, 16x ty at 12x, DL verb at recomended. These are what I have for blank media and the speeds I burn them at. Write type= SAO writing: dvd5 size 4472: dvd9 size 8152 for +r: Booktype checked: protection everything checked: Pathplayer always enabled.

Thanks for that, ill change settings & try. Though SAO im not to sure about, supposidly less chance of household DVD audio equipment reading this format as well or something.

To test burned DVD, you can download Nero Speed

Yeah i got Nero 7 on here at the moment, came with the new drive, though like you say on wont work on all… Disc Quality the start is greyed out and wont let me test it when a DVD movie is put in; just downloaded 350mb update for it :Z as well still no joy. Is this the right test that is needed to check a DVD movie will playback fine? Or maybe surface scan?

Maybe their is an alternative to the Nero tester!I wud of thought this is something many ppl wud enjoy having to ensure there burns are good!

SAO is for session at once. This setting will close(finalize) the disc.
It is important on Audio CD to be able to play them in a player.
DVD has to be finalized also, but it should be part of burning software setting.

Check this site for Nero Test
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f96/cd-dvd-speed-user-guide-192563/

Like I said not all burners will do all the tests, just see which one you can do.
There are other testing software, but also work in only couple burner brands.

Daxe,

What brand/model burner are you using? (“Also got myself a new LG GH20NS10 20X”…missed that one.)

BTW I burn with Nero DiscSpeed (the free download) with great results using the “create disc” tab. You can “see” the speed your discs are being written to as a graph. This could possibly show you where your problems are occurring.

Also I usually don’t go lower than one step the highest rated burn speed. E.G. my Verbatim MCC’s can burn at 16X so I use 12X. Some YUDEN000 T02’s I burned at 4X instead of 8X had horrible results, and these are the best quality discs I’ve ever owned. So I 2nd what CDuncle has already said here.

Sorry for the delay!
#14 Using LG GH20NS10 20X SATA DVD±RW/DL/RAM Burner

Read the reviews and comments on here and many people think its a nice burner, so decided to get it as was always burning with a External USB 2 Liteon one.

I am only really using the burner for DVD copying, so we are using DVD Fab Platinum for that which is a nice easy all in 1 package. I’ve always burnt at slowest speed thinking slower the better so will be burning future ones at 8x or even 1 step down as you suggested.

#13 As for the testing. Disc quality is not an option on this LG drive likely as its not supported; i linked up my ext dvdrw and it was an option but seem to get to many failures even on originals, maybe thats because its a poor drive. That guide is extremely detailed and was more after something a little simplier; ive tried to follow it. Thanks 4 help every1 :))