DVDs burned with 2x-only-fast-fwd, & NO rewind

I’ve had a problem, through my time burning DVDs from AVI and MPG file on my computer (usually with Nero 6), getting results that only allow me to “fast forward” the disc at 2X and no “rewind” function at all (this is, of course, during playback on DVD players). Any attempt to do anything other than 2X-forward causes the DVD to freeze, and I’m forced to go back to the main menu.

Can anyone explain to me why this happens? Is it my computer? Is it Nero (I also have similar crappy results using the program that came with the computer, “Sonic”).

It hasn’t always happened (it’s been more frequent lately, it seems), and I can’t understand why it happens when it does. Can anyone shed a light on this for me?

Problem:

I burn AVI/MPG, etc., files to DVD, mostly using Nero 7 (though, at times, I’ve used Sonic ‘My DVD’, with less satisfactory results). Lately, I’ve been getting results that [B]play[/B] on DVD players okay, but:

1. can only scan forward at 2X (not the normal 8X capacity)

2. cannot scan back (rewind) [B]AT ALL[/B]!

3. when I try to use more than 2X forward, or try scanning back, the disc
    freezes, and I have to shut the DVD player off and reset.

Can anyone explain to me why this happens? Is it my computer? Is it Nero? (I’ve had many satisfactory results in the past, though “Sonic” burns have never had the 8X forward capability, only 2X, from the day I got the computer).

I can’t understand why it happens when it does. Can anyone shed a light on this for me?

The forward scanning which causes the player to freeze could be down to the media you’re using.

What discs are you using , what speed do you burn at and what burner do you have?

Bad media, bad burn and most of all, bad conversion.

[B][I]@bobbilse:[/I][/B] Please don’t double post…

[I]Two threads merged.[/I]

try apollo divx to dvd creator works pretty good for me. although i dont expect high quality out of this process.

not saying it will solve your problem but i have various issues when i use nero for making dvd slide shows and divx to dvd conversions, sometimes nero works and sometimes it dont.

I’ve been using GQ discs (purchased at FRY’s) and an external USB-connected burner - HP dvd740 - and I burn at 4X, the slowest I can manage.

Mind you, I’ve gotten plenty of satisfactory results with this combination.

What are causes of bad conversion?

Such like you described.

Use a proper transcoding tool, eg. TMPGEnc.

My problem has been solved.

Though I’d usually had success with Nero, it turned out that something was keeping it from working properly on my computer (I even tried re-loading it several times, to no avail).

I loaded a friend’s Nero disc, and now it works fine again.