DVDs burned by LiteOn burner only read by certain DVD readers

[qanda]This thread is about the Lite-On DH-20A4P. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]I just received a LiteOn DH-20A4P DVD burner yesterday at my office. After using DVDFab to rip a DVD movie for one user and IMGBurn to copy a bunch of music files for another, I discovered that the resulting DVDs can only be read on certain readers. I’m using Tayo Yuden blank DVD media.

The ripped DVD movie has no problems in my set top box.

I have an LG DVD burner in one of my desktops running Vista and it treats both of the above mentioned DVDs as blank an prompts me to format it. If I try to read the DVD with the music files in the very drive that produced it, nothing happens. I couldn’t see the music files at all. But it can see the video files from the ripped DVD movie. Although it takes quite a long time before they are recognized.

Neither the music files nor the movie can be read in an NEC DVD +/-RW drive but it can be read in a Phillips drive.

On the flip side, CD media has no problems on any drive.

I suspect there is something weird about how the data is written to the DVD media that only makes it readable on certain drives.

Has anyone run into this before?