DVD's are turning brown. Please help

vbimport

Hello all. I seem to have a problem with some of my DVD’s. Some of them have turned brown and spotty. They are no longer readable. Anyone know what is going on with them?

Thank you

Hi [B]centerwall[/B], welcome to CD Freaks! :slight_smile:
What kind of media did you use?

Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

Sounds like deterioration - what brands are these discs, and how old?

Also, how are you storing them?

Thank you for responding.

They are Memorex dvd’s. They are only about a month old. I store them in paper sleeves

I would love to have pics of these to show to all the people who show up using Memorex! :slight_smile:

Try putting one of the dvds that still works in the dvd drive and use Nero CD/DVD Speed to identify the MID code (manufacturer id code). Use the Disk Info tab. http://www.cdspeed2000.com/
This will give us a clear idea of exactly what you have.

Nothing can be done for the deteriorated disks I’m afraid. You might be able to get the data off with ISOBuster, but I seriously doubt it.

Buy Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden as safe bets for media.

In future you may want to consider storing them in jewel cases if the data is important to you. And use better media.

Is it hot or humid where the discs are stored?

If you or a friend has a LiteOn or Samsung drive, try reading the discs in one of those. They’re your best chance of getting the data back off those discs.

I had some Ritek G05 discs, notorious for their deterioration, and I was able to recover the data and back it up to Verbatim discs, with an older LiteOn drive.

I am at work right now, but I will do all that and get back to the forum as soon as I can.

Thank you all so much.

[QUOTE=centerwall;2008131]Hello all. I seem to have a problem with some of my DVD’s. Some of them have turned brown and spotty. They are no longer readable. Anyone know what is going on with them?

Thank you[/QUOTE]

Sun burnout. :frowning: