DVDs are not working

vbimport

I have been using this software along with AnyDVD for some time now, all of a sudden 80% of the DVDs I am burning are messed up. They usually start playing like normal, but at random intervals throughout the movie, it locks up and halts playing.

Upon looking at the DVD, there are large gaps between the movie data. For example, the first half of the DVD will be normal (solid data), then all of a sudden there will be a centimeter-wide section that contains no data. Then it after the gap it goes back to solid data like normal.

I have no idea why this is happening, it only recently started. I have went as far as going through the entire process without touching my computer at all, I have checked and DMA is on, I am using memorex DVDs, from the exact same spindle from BEFORE I had these problems. So inless the 2nd half of the spindle was messed up, I doubt its the DVDs themselves causing it.

Any other ideas? Its getting very annoying going through 3-4 DVDs just to get one that burns correctly.

Trying to copy hard drive and then try to play. If it plays well then it’s your media.

HINT: [B][U]Memorex[/U][/B] DVD are [U][B]junk[/B][/U] media. Use only

CD-Rs = Maxell CD-R Pro (these are Taiyo Yudens with a protective coating), Verbatim Datalife Plus, Taiyo Yuden
DVD±Rs = Maxell Broadcast Quality Series 8x (not regular junk Maxells you find everywhere), Verbatim 8x & 16x, Taiyo Yuden (not Valueline) 8x
DVD+R DLs = Verbatim made in Singapore (not India), MAM-A 8x (Avoid the ones made in India (by Moser Baer).

Also in some places Ritek is being sold under Verbatim’s label (Be Careful not to buy those)

Also burn at half the speed of orignal.

For example 16x should be burned 8x
12x should be burn at 6x
8x should be burn at 4x

[QUOTE=012;2092463]Trying to copy hard drive and then try to play. If it plays well then it’s your media.

HINT: [B][U]Memorex[/U][/B] DVD are [U][B]junk[/B][/U] media. Use only

CD-Rs = Maxell CD-R Pro (these are Taiyo Yudens with a protective coating), Verbatim Datalife Plus, Taiyo Yuden
DVD±Rs = Maxell Broadcast Quality Series 8x (not regular junk Maxells you find everywhere), Verbatim 8x & 16x, Taiyo Yuden (not Valueline) 8x
DVD+R DLs = Verbatim made in Singapore (not India), MAM-A 8x (Avoid the ones made in India (by Moser Baer).

Also in some places Ritek is being sold under Verbatim’s label (Be Careful not to buy those)

Also burn at half the speed of orignal.

For example 16x should be burned 8x
12x should be burn at 6x
8x should be burn at 4x[/QUOTE]

Copying it just to my HD right now and I’ll check how it plays. Gonna pick up a small Verbatim 8x pack tomorrow to see if they work any better. Thanks for the suggestions.

Ok, just finished burning the movie onto a sony + r at 4x, it did the same exact thing as the memorex.

I dont know but 3 DVDs that got messed up, 1 of which from a different brand, and they all did the same thing? I’m starting to doubt them being the cause.

Is it possible my DVD burner is going out? Its an old Memorex 8x +/- RW, and I even tried burning the movie onto a Philips - R 16x dvd, CloneDVD gave an error and said it was likely caused by bad media, but I just used that same DVD to backup another movie I have on another computer and it worked perfectly fine…if the Verbatim DVDs I pickup tomorrow dont work I’m going to guess its the DVD drive…gonna try burning the same DVD with Nero to rule out it being the software.

EDIT: I actually doubt its the DVD Drive as just putting the blank Philips DVD in, it shows up like any other DVD (shows the free space and that it is a recordable medium), what are the chances that CloneDVD would not be able to see perfectly fine blank media as usable even though my computer itself can see and burn to it, and recently is failing to properly burn most of the movies I try?

Sorry to post yet again but the edit button is only there for a short time.

I burned the same files as before with Nero and it seemed to burn flawlessly…no spaces of missing data, looks like the DVDs looked like before I was having this problem. Dont know if it just took 4 attempts to get a good DVD, but it seems Nero burns much better than CloneDVD does. Any thoughts of why?

[QUOTE=mwpeck;2092537]Sorry to post yet again but the edit button is only there for a short time.

I burned the same files as before with Nero and it seemed to burn flawlessly…no spaces of missing data, looks like the DVDs looked like before I was having this problem. Dont know if it just took 4 attempts to get a good DVD, but it seems Nero burns much better than CloneDVD does. Any thoughts of why?[/QUOTE]

Well first off you never tell us what version of the software you have so that gives us no basis for comparisons??? Majority of bad burns results in bad media or mutiltasking when you should let computer finish up the burns and also burning to fast rather should burn at least 16x=8x and so on. Those gaps your referring to sounds like your burning way to fast like your going max and that creates bad burns. This is from experience I had as well til I slowed down the burns.

The media is capable of 16x, my burner is 8x, I am burning at 4x.

As for version, ClondDVD is version 2.9.1.9, I believe the latest…doesnt tell me theres new updates when I run it.

AnyDVD is version 6.4.5.0, same case, no alerts of updates available.

The nero one, I actually burned at 8x (my max burning speed) on the Memorex DVDs (the ones that give me problems when burned with CloneDVD), with version 8.3.1.2 which I also think is the latest.

Basically it goes like this:

Burn movie with CloneDVD, it has gaps and does not play all the way through.

Burn movie with Nero, (on the SAME media), it has no gaps and plays all the way through.

I let both burns run while I was away from my computer with no other programs running, so I was not multitasking at all.

I would love to get this fixed as I do not want to have to use two different programs to backup movies, but I have to use whatever works (which is currently Nero for burning, CloneDVD for backing up).

EDIT: Reguardless I will be picking up Verbatim DVDs tomorrow…like I said in my original post its not ALL the movies I try to back up, just like 80% of them or so, so it could just be coincidence that I got a decent DVD when I burned it with Nero.

Don’t know since I don’t know your burner model and specs. But from past experience rings showing up on burned dvd are indicators of bad burns from going to fast and multitasking when you have limited resources causing rings on the disc. Could be as well you got bad batch of media or a few of the media within the batch you bought didn’t get well made as well.

Yeah, like I said, I burn at 4x while my burner has a max of 8x, the DVDs are 16x. As for multitasking, I run a dual core CPU (upgrading to quad soon) and as I said I tried not even being at my computer while it was burning and it still happened. I’m thinking it might be the media but seeing as Nero worked I am uncertain, as I said I will be picking up Verbatim DVDs later today and trying those out.

I am unsure of the exact model, all I know is the make and speed (Memorex 8x +/- RW). I do know it is a few years old, I bought it when I first built my computer years ago.

[QUOTE=mwpeck;2092762]Yeah, like I said, I burn at 4x while my burner has a max of 8x, the DVDs are 16x. As for multitasking, I run a dual core CPU (upgrading to quad soon) and as I said I tried not even being at my computer while it was burning and it still happened. I’m thinking it might be the media but seeing as Nero worked I am uncertain, as I said I will be picking up Verbatim DVDs later today and trying those out.

I am unsure of the exact model, all I know is the make and speed (Memorex 8x +/- RW). I do know it is a few years old, I bought it when I first built my computer years ago.[/QUOTE]

So the burner is a Memorex burner? Hmm…I have nero 6 and Clonedvd 2.9.1.9 and it works fine on my drives they are both Liteon units though.

Yes it is a Memorex burner, like I said burning the DVD with Nero, it worked fine, but using the same media, but burning with CloneDVD, it had the gaps and doesnt work right.

As for the Verbatim, it seems none of the stores in my area carry them…tried Walmart, Staples and a few others and could not find them. Going to have to order them through newegg or something before I can verify its the media. :confused:

Have you tried switching back to it using the windows file system instead of the new one they just put in a couple of updates ago? I am talking about clonedvd.

I’m not sure I understand what your asking. Have I tried switching what back to the windows file system one?

http://www.elby.ch/products/clone_dvd/revision.html

I’m assuming thats the “Use File System instead of Internal I/O” setting? Would that make a difference for burning? I had that unchecked and copied the DVD files to my computer instead of burning to a DVD, then tried burning those files with both CloneDVD and Nero. The revisions say:

New: CloneDVD no longer uses the Windows filesystem, when [B]reading from a Video DVD[/B]. It has now its own UDF parser / reader.

Which leads me to believe that setting would only affect copying the video files (either burning to a DVD or putting them on the HD). Since the files on my HD work fine when I burn them with Nero, I am not sure if this setting would change anything as CloneDVD would not be reading anything from a Video DVD, instead its reading from my HD.

Like I said, the files on my HD seem to be fine as they work when burned with Nero, they just dont work when burned with CloneDVD.

If you think that setting could be causing the problem still, I can try burning another copy through CloneDVD with the setting checked (it was unchecked before).

Give it a try and see.

[quote=mwpeck;2092571]The media is capable of 16x, my burner is 8x, I am burning at 4x.

As for version, ClondDVD is version 2.9.1.9, I believe the latest…doesnt tell me theres new updates when I run it.

AnyDVD is version 6.4.5.0, same case, no alerts of updates available.

The nero one, I actually burned at 8x (my max burning speed) on the Memorex DVDs (the ones that give me problems when burned with CloneDVD), with version 8.3.1.2 which I also think is the latest.

Basically it goes like this:

Burn movie with CloneDVD, it has gaps and does not play all the way through.

Burn movie with Nero, (on the SAME media), it has no gaps and plays all the way through.

I let both burns run while I was away from my computer with no other programs running, so I was not multitasking at all.

I would love to get this fixed as I do not want to have to use two different programs to backup movies, but I have to use whatever works (which is currently Nero for burning, CloneDVD for backing up).

EDIT: Reguardless I will be picking up Verbatim DVDs tomorrow…like I said in my original post its not ALL the movies I try to back up, just like 80% of them or so, so it could just be coincidence that I got a decent DVD when I burned it with Nero.[/quote]Please try the V6.4.5.3 located here
http://sandbox.slysoft.com/beta/SetupAnyDVD6453.exe with the new Verbatim discs you want to buy.

[QUOTE=~Jethro~;2092953]Give it a try and see.[/QUOTE]

Hmmmm…burned 1 DVD with that option disabled (as a control test because I accidently deleted the original files I was working with when I started this thread), it was messed up…enabled that option and it appears to be perfectly fine…I will try backing up the next few DVDs with this option enabled and see if everything goes ok, Thanks!

And come to think of it, this problem didnt start until a few months ago…shorty after they made this change you mentioned.

EDIT:

Ok, just burned it again on the same media I have been having trouble with (the memorex ones), this time I loaded a game up in window-mode, browsed the net as well, finished burning and it had NO gaps on it like before. I think its pretty safe to say the problem was that change to not using the windows filesystem to read the DVDs. It seems with it checked (to use the old method) it is working fine.

Still went ahead and ordered some Verbatim DVDs though (had to order them, NO local stores carried them), so that should even better the odds of not getting a messed up DVD.

Glad it help you fix your problem.

Well, here I am 2 weeks after “fixing” the problem and it has returned. The last 2 DVDs I have tried to backup have done the same as my original problem. I have tried unchecking/checking the setting that helped earlier, and had the same problem both times. I have tried on the Verbatim disks and it does the same thing still. Only this time it seems to not be a problem with the actual burning, but something with the decoding process. I saved the files on my computer like I did before, and tried burning with nero which worked in the past, now however it did not work, and caused the same problem as before.

Can it be possible that my DVD burner is bad or something? Going to try burning the same files on another computer and see what happens, though if the files themselves are messed up from a bad DVD drive, I would have to redo the whole process on the other computer.

Aside from that, anyone have any idea what could be causing this issue again? I have looked at recent updates and they do not appear to contain anything that should affect it.