DVDRW IDE1004 unable to read/write DVD after F/W update

vbimport

I got the 1004 a few weeks ago and was very happy with it all along, apart from it being unable to write certain DVD+R media (labeled as SKY, never was able to get an MID with DVDInfoPro) at speeds higher than 1x and writing the DVD+RW that came with the Drive. the SKY DVDs burned at 1x were only readable by the BTC drive too.

the real problems started when the drive suddenly refused to delete data from a CD-RW (labeled BASF), which it had done only a week before.
shortly after it started to refuse to read the SKY media (successfully burned and used in that drive).

all that sounded to me like enough reason to update the drives firmware. I got the 0049 from here and updated. after the update the 1004 was unable to read any DVD media (neither the SKY DVD+R burned on this very drive, nor other DVD+/-R media labeled as ‘Verbatim’, also burned on the drive, nor store bought movie DVDs).

after a bit of reading, I decided that I should try a F/W by The Dangerous Brothers. versions 0043, 0045, 0047, 0048, 0049 did no good at all.
sadly enough this didn’t help either.

no matter what I did, the problem of not reading any DVDs remained.

so now I’m pretty much at a loss what to do and really hope someone can throw a few ideas at me how to fix this.

any help greatly appretiated and thanks in advance.

edit: forgot to mention that the drive still burns and reads CD-Rs/audio CDs.

bumping my own thread since BTCs techsupport still has not replied with anything but a auto-reply to the form they made me fill out …

any ideas? anyone? please? :confused:

Return it to the supplier & get another one or a refund.

Originally posted by contrex
Return it to the supplier & get another one or a refund.

I would if I could find the receipt for it (luckily enough I still have receipts for other hardware, like the old ISDN modem that I gave a friend of mine years ago … go figure).

You can’t be in the UK then, where we don’t have to show a receipt. Have you not got a credit card statement, bank statement, etc?

true, I’m in Germany.

and no, I paid cash, nothing from my creditcard company or my bank involved … I better get back to searching my flat for that damn receipt :wink:

god damn it… i have the same problem… it worked fine and then of all a sudden it stopped accepting empty dvd;s, dvdrw, and also cdrw… what the fuck happened to the drive.

did you solve the problem?

Originally posted by jefcam
i have the same problem… it worked fine and then of all a sudden it stopped accepting empty dvd;s, dvdrw, and also cdrw… what the fuck happened to the drive.
What version of firmware were in these burners before you all upgraded them? BTW, it is ALWAYS a good idea to save a copy of the current FW before you upgrade it - most flashers will provide a method for doing that. If you don’t know the original level, it’s on a sticker on the box - something like “FW:0040”.

Some of the really old firmware versions were known to damage the burners. Search through the posts in this forum. If you’re still under warranty, call BTC for help.

i do not know what version number it was originally. i throwed away the box…cause i bought it while on holiday in poland. i just upgraded the firmware to 50 just now after the trouble with the hope to solve it…but nothing happend…

i’ve contacted the company btc… hope they reply… btc is shit… this problem seems to be a global problem, cause many had the same problem… why do btc take responsability for this shit happening…

i want to know if there is hope for this dvd… cause if not i go and buy another one… what do you prefer a pionner or a sony… for sure not btc crap!

Just call the manufaturer and let them know you’re trying to do a firmware update. THey’ll go through a process with you and if you get so far and they can’t do anything for you, they usually just do an RMA, no questions asked. Not sure on the part of you being in Germany, but I had them replace mine and they didn’t even ask me for my receipt or any kind of statement. I’m in the US.

deadlink,

i´would contact marco (pm or mail), i´m sure that he has a solution