DVDRW IDE 16X Burn issues

Hey guys. Thanks for viewing this. your help is really appreciated.

I have a DVDRW IDE 16X dvd burner. its a dual layer and double format.

Recently my drive has been acting up and it wont read blank dvd’s. I have tried DVD-RW and DVD+R but nothing works. All my firmware, IDE drivers, and everything else is up to date.

Please Help!!!

Hey guys. Thanks for viewing this. your help is really appreciated.

I have a DVDRW IDE 16X dvd burner. its a dual layer and double format.

Recently my drive has been acting up and it wont read blank dvd’s. I have tried DVD-RW and DVD+R but nothing works. All my firmware, IDE drivers, and everything else is up to date.

Please Help!!!

Do you mean it doesnt recognise the disk?

Yeah. I am trying to burn an Iso to a dvd using imgburn but it says no media present. also on nero and anything else.

Make sure your drive supports the media your using. ie, 16X-r. I had this trouble once.

well my drive is 16X and i have successfully burned to this media before.

I am using two different kinds of media. Niether work.

Sony DVD-RW
Memorex DVD+R
My dvd drive can read and burn all dvd+/- RW/R

It can read blank cd’s but not dvd’s.

This is the blank media section, go to the section realated to your burner brand.

Jaken81, welcome to CDFreaks! :slight_smile:

You have posted the same question in two threads which is called cross-posting and is against our forum rules because it creates unnecessary work for people participating in the threads.

Please don’t cross-post again.

• Threads merged * *

I think your questions could be answered better in the relevant forum for your particular drive, so I can move the thread there.

Which brand of DVD burner do you have?

^Sounds like the drive is identifying itself as “IDE DVDRW 16X”.
Probably an AOpen or BTC.

I apologize for “cross posting.”

My dvd drive brand is I/O Magic.

I have contacted them but they just tell me a load of crap about my media. My media is fine its just my burner wont recognize blank dvds now.

Thanks guys

It’s likely BenQ then. :slight_smile:

First, try some higher quality media (Sony [B]MIJ[/B] media, Maxell [B]MIJ[/B] media, and Verbatim are good choices.)
This usually works.

Memorex are often switching suppliers so it is possible that you have got a bad batch or media from another manufacturer with lower quality…

If your warranty has already expired, you may crossflash with BenQ firmware.
Keep in mind that if you crossflash with BenQ firmware, and you flash the wrong firmware, the drive is dead. BenQ drives don’t have recovery features, unlike LiteOn and LG.

First things first.

I will try new media. Are TDK, Maxell, Verbatim, Pioneer, Ritek or Princo good media?

If that doesnt work, i will flash the drive. (whatever the hell that means)

And if the media doesnt work, could somone tell me what flashing a drive is and a step by step process to do it?

Thanks for helping.

TDK: Average
Maxell: Made in Japan is excellent, Made in Taiwan is average
Verbatim: Good
Pioneer: Made in Japan is excellent, if it’s not MIJ it is average
Ritek: Not good
Princo: Not good!!

Do you still have warranty on that drive? If yes, you should use it instead. :slight_smile:

Thanks Guys! if the new media doesnt work, could somone help me flash my drive? what does that mean?

Flashing the drive: updating the firmware (software saved on a solid-state flash chip on the drive, containing information for the drive about how to burn different types of media).

Crossflashing means upgrading the drive to a firmware which was originally not intended for usage with the specific drive model, usually a higher or lower model. This will only be successful if the drives are hardware compatible.

Maybe, whilst the thread is in this section, we should concentrate on the media side of things.

If using quality media doesn’t help, perhaps the thread could be moved to the main optical drives form, where you can ask any flashing questions? Since before crossflashing, you’ll need help to identify what your drive really is - flashing it with the wrong firmware will kill it.

:slight_smile:

Re: media. Try Verbatim first :wink:

I have new media but havent tried it yet but i will post the results.

I have the box to my DVD drive and all it says is:

Internal DVD+ or - RW/ + or - R
Dual Format Double Layer
16X16X8
Burn DVDs and CDs in all popular formats including +R, +RW, -R, -RW, and +R double layer.

New media doesnt work.

Maxell DVD+RW
Pioneer DVD-RW
Both made in japan.