DVDRW 1008IM problems with speeds

I recently purchased an Emprex 8x dual DVD burner and am experiencing some difficulties… My buddy has an Emprex 4x burner and is encoding and burning dvd’s much faster than i can… the only thing is is that my computer is much better than his and has a faster processor and more RAM… I have an AMD 2800+ processor, 768mb of RAM, 1200gb hardrive… Its a new computer…

Anyway, I use DVD Shrink and it takes me about an hour and a half to encode (backup) the dvd and about another hour and a half to burn it. I’m not sure what the problem is… I also tried to update using the latest firmware and approached an error concerning something about flash types… Please let me know if you have any tips on how to correct this problem, because i know its not my system slowing the burner down… Perhaps its just a dud drive that i need to take back… Are there any tests i can do? Any help would be greatly appreciated… THANX EVERYONE!!!

Enable DMA on your drive.
See the NEC troubleshooting guide linked in my sig.
It contains many items that apply to all DVDRW burners. :wink:

Thankyou very much for your response, What exactly is DMA and what does it do?

DMA stands for Direct Memory Access… Meaning it Communicates Directly with your Hardware 768MB (Fast)… Instead of Cacheing off your Hard Disk (Slower)…