DVDRanger has been banned - explanation

vbimport

Hi everyone,

Some of you might have noticed that the user DVDRanger has been banned. This was our last resort after spending a lot of time trying make him behave on our forums.

For the long time readers of DVDRanger threads it’s been obvious that he had difficulties in dealing with criticism on his software. The result was that many threads featuring DVDRanger were closed or took a lot of work from our side to monitor and moderate.

I’ve been in contact with DVDRanger for a long time by e-mail, as a first contact person for him to complain to, in the hope I could calm him down and to explain our actions.

In some occasions I received insulting messages back, which I ignored as I could also understand that if you develop something you spent a lot of time on and in which you believe, it’s hard to take criticism.

Unfortunately the last mail he sent me, as a reply to a mail from me in which I tried to explained why we took an action on a thread, he answered me with a ‘go to hell’ and given the fact that he previously insulted other (staff) members and consumed a lot of our time, me and the team have decided to let him go.

His ban is - for now - forever, and should hopefully be the end of an era of a lot of bad mouthing and rants. We’ve tried to make him last as long as possible, but the situation got worse and worse.

We believe in freedom of speech as much as we can, and we won’t make any concessions in removing criticism as DVDRanger asked us several times which would probably have been the only way to comfort him.

We did delete posts that (debatable) contained libel and deformation as we try to stick to the law and our rules and as we have no hidden agenda to hurt DVDRanger.

He also asked us to no longer report on his software. We feel it’s our freedom to report on that and as long as we have members interested in his software, we’ll try to continue reporting on it as we’ve done before.

Given the fact that this has been a long time issue on the forums, I thought it would be good to inform everyone about our decision of which we hope you respect. Banning people that have been here for a long time and have a decent amount of posts is not something we easily do, everyone makes mistakes or has bad days, but this went on for too long.

Regards,

DoMiN8ToR

THX for letting us know how and why this decision was made,DoMi !
Too bad that Ranger has such a short fuse,as he’s a real capable programmer…:frowning:
However, IMHO,sometimes things were stirred up because some liked to see him explode…:bigsmile::wink:
But it’s his own fault that he got trapped everytime…I guess it’s the case of the frog and the scorpion…he couldn’t help himself to keep his temper down…:disagree:

[QUOTE=roadworker;2737689]sometimes things were stirred up because some liked to see him explode.
[/QUOTE]

I didn’t quite see it that way. I felt he was arrogant at times. Some users questioned him…and he responded in a pretentious manner. Most of his hissy fits were uncalled for. He felt he had authority. I thought he would improve…he didn’t. I do wish the guy the best of luck to him.

I am sorry to hear this news but I understand too that this had gone on for way too long I accept your decsion Dom thank you for explaining things further.:flower:

I had stopped posting updates for the program here because I got sick and tired of all the fighting the program in my eyes is great software it is too bad it came to this.

Regards,

ILLP:)

He also asked us to no longer report on his software. We feel it’s our freedom to report on that and as long as we have members interested in his software, we’ll try to continue reporting on it as we’ve done before.

Does this mean that when you report on the software that a few members will be able to bad mouth his software without repercussions. Just a question. I really do agree with the decision to ban him. But how about the members that keeps/kept bad mouthing his software that set him off. and will this post get me penalized?

I really am not trying to start anything, I just want to see equality

Marty

[QUOTE=thor21344;2737721]Does this mean that when you report on the software that a few members will be able to bad mouth his software without repercussions. Just a question. I really do agree with the decision to ban him. But how about the members that keeps/kept bad mouthing his software that set him off. and will this post get me penalized?

I really am not trying to start anything, I just want to see equality

Marty[/QUOTE]

Normal forum rules will still apply Marty and equality is something we very much support.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions but although free speech is something very dear to our hearts, it isn’t a licence to act unreasonably so, as it is with any of the forums here, there are situations when the forum staff will have to step in if things get out of hand.

These sorts of things are always a judgement call for us though because it depends on the individual circumstances of each case and the perceived impact of what has been said.

[B]Wombler[/B]

I decided to only post in this thread on a limited basis.

The difference is there are members like me that sometimes walk the line close to the outer edge of forum rules. When a specific request is made by administration or even a moderator we try to comply. If we don’t like the request it can be taken all the way to the site owner.

Keep in mind not all criticism is “bad mouthing” & an alternate way of doing a part of the process isn’t always wrong .

That was & I suspect still is DVDranger’s aka Ingo Foerster’s problem .
Any criticism or alternate methods he automatically dismissed as wrong or at the least an inferior way to do it.
If that assessment was questioned it set him off.
IMO This is an even worse reaction by a software author & businessman (that is selling the software or in some other way uses it for financial gain.) that is a member than a member that isn’t in that category.
Most members like myself are here to learn & help when we can.
Sometimes criticize what in their opinion is wrong.
It may not just be that members opinion as what they criticize may in [B]fact[/B] be wrong.

[QUOTE=ILLP;2737712]I am sorry to hear this news but I understand too that this had gone on for way too long I accept your decsion Dom thank you for explaining things further.:flower:

I had stopped posting updates for the program here because I got sick and tired of all the fighting the program in my eyes is great software it is too bad it came to this.

Regards,

ILLP:)[/QUOTE]

I would also like to state that this has nothing to do with the quality of the software. It works and for many people it’s an excellent solution.

I also want to add that his ban wasn’t decided on easily. There has been a lot of stuff going on before this happened and if you’re not a spammer or new here with obvious bad intentions then you never have to fear we will ban you (forever) without getting clear warnings. We will first try to warn and/or sinbin (temporarily ban) and if things then still don’t change a ban is really the ultimate decision we make.

I hope that will comfort anyone here that a ban isn’t something to be afraid for, you’ll have opportunities to appeal, to change behavior (we all have a bad day/time once in a while) etc.

In this case there have been warnings, a sin bin and a lot of communication before the decision was made and please don’t let this stop you from discussing the software. It’s by no means a banned subject neither positive or negative remarks.

Our goal is to provide our members with information that is relevant to them and their hobby, simply stopping to report about this software would not meet that goal as it simply works.

Cholla, and all members of this forum, I understand that the right to criticize. and maybe I just see and remember the bad post, but it seems to me that on every post that was written on ranger there were negative post put on. some one would say that more titles were added and it would turn into a contest because some members wanted to get it started. Yes he had a temper and could n ot control it. not once do I REMEMBER any one saying to the other posters that they needed to stop. some of the posters bordered on defimation(sp) implying that he received money and then did not return it when the program did not come out on time. I do not use DVDFAB nor have I ever tried it, not that there is any thing wrong with it, I just never bought it, but what would you do if I just up and said that I had bought it and did not like it but DVDFAB would not return my money in the prescribed time period. I would assume (ass u me) you would defend them. I am not saying that the admin staff was wrong, I do agree with the action, I’m just saying that other people should at least be centured for there part.
Disagreeing with a software and not liking it is one thing, but I believe that certain individuals went on a witch hunt, not because the software did not do as it says but because 1, they asked for their money back and lost out on the $19.99 lifetime licence 2. just wanted to see how far they could push a person 3. see if they could BULLY a person so far as to get him banned.

Marty

@ Marty, My agreement with the site owner is to not discuss DVD-Ranger refunds .
I will abide by that .

AFAIK DVDFab hasn’t been in the hypothetical situation you posted .
The only connection I have with DVDFab is as a software customer with lifetime license on some of their software . I have gotten to know signals through this forum.
I think he also answered some posts I made on the DVDFab web site forum .I seldom use that forum as I’m happy here. So I would need to log on to make sure.
If they did fail to refund & some members posted that & I believed the facts were
correct . I would hold their rear end over the fire .
There are some threads were I posted dissatisfaction with some of what DVDFab was doing . I will see if those are still around. Some of those may have been removed as well. If Fengtao remembers me he would tell you I wasn’t any easier on him.
If I can find some of those I will post a few links.

Now for what I didn’t want to do. I found DVDranger to be the BULLY . That’s my opinion & all I plan to post about it.

[QUOTE=DoMiN8ToR;2737655]We’ve just posted the following news: DVD-Ranger CinEx HD removes Cinavia from 8 more Blu-ray movies[newsimage]http://static.myce.com//images_posts/2014/06/myce-cinexhd_utility-screenshot-95x75.png[/newsimage]

Read the full article here: http://www.myce.com/news/dvd-ranger-cinex-hd-removes-cinavia-from-8-more-blu-ray-movies-72793

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.[/QUOTE

Ok DVDRANGERFORUM has been banned and I think all agree that it was time. However I did a search on DVDRANGERFORUM, I found 27 threads Most stated like the quote above. That thread should have just been thanks or even no thanks, but I found out that with in the first page some one started in with the how does it work, or you don’t really, or why do I need a database. at no place did I find any bad mouthing from him. Yes he usually went ballistic and it finely got him banned. I have not and DO NOT bad mouth or even hint that any program is bad, Why was it that 6 or 7 members decided to get DVDRANGERFORUM heated up. You know part of bulling is telling someone that they are inferior(sp) and not worth anything, and do not do what they say they can do. DVDRANGERFORUM defended his program, should have hired a PR man but still was defending it. And probley sending me a PM telling me that I should stop it or chill out I might get peterbed(sp) also. I am expressing my opinion here also. Like you I have come down on him for what he said and did. Everyone (it seems) is pointing at DVDRANGERFORUM as the total bad guy and no one is saying anything about the people that usually started it.

Again just my opinion
And please cholla and staff, no offence intended or ment, I just think that someone ought to stand up for DVDRANGERFORUM as he is not the only responsible party here.

Marty

:o :o :o OK well OLD STUPID me misread that can not see his hands in front of his face even with glasses on, read it wrong. It was DVDRANGER that was banned MY BAD. I am so sorry please forgive :o :o :o

But I was talking about DVDRANGER, and with that I made a mistake, there are 75 threads out of witch I read 27. with the same results

Thank You … for PM’ing me about my mistake

Marty

DVD-Ranger has mailed us a statement on this, you can read it here:

@ Marty , a bit off topic for this thread but Take a look at my posts in these threads .
Then decide if I’m always a DVDFab supporter.
I only searched quickly but I think there are some posts elsewhere at club.myce where I posted Fengtao & DVDFab didn’t support blu-ray updates for lifeime purchasers of DVDFab Platinum as was originall advertised on the DVDFab website . That advertising disappeared. I wish I had printed a copy but I didn’t.
This doesn’t effect me much since I’m not working with blu-ray .
Still I like to get what I pay for. I only bring this up to make the point I have posted negatively about DVDFab in the past. I have no plans to try to resolve this issue because only a lawsuit against a Chinese company in China might do this. & that’s A BIG might. Like I posted above I didn’t save the proof . I know what the website advertised I just can’t prove it.

http://club.myce.com/f116/5-0-1-5-win-98-a-244547/#post2053622

Hell! This place is getting too clean for me. I’m not saying that I agree with THE Ranger, but I tend to favor his “one man army” over the masses: He’s not infecting the board as a whole, so why ban this passionate man.

Sorry, just being viciously truthful.

Passionate he was for sure and I could fully understand he got hotheaded once in a while, as we were all talking about something he created (his baby so to say), that’s also why I took a lot of insults and didn’t do any repercussion. I’m not easily offended so everytime he mailed me a rant I tried to tell him he should cool down and accept that people criticize his software and that he should only reply to incorrect information and not to opinions (advice I’ve given to many other software developers, which always worked).

After legal threats, announcements he wouldn’t post here anymore, a demand to not post about this software and final ‘go to hell’ out of the blue I felt that it was time to do what lots of other staff members adviced me to months ago, a ban.

Warnings never helped, and he consumed about 80% of our time with this actions, we have to draw the line somewhere. I sincerely don’t take these decisions easily, and I really want everyone to know that, but the situation went worse every week.

DoMiN8ToR, like I said, “I am not against what you did” just the fact that other people were also responsible for what went on and there were some insults and innuendo about his honesty and nothing was said about that. Semantics was used in some of the post.

Cholla, I never said that you did not have adverse things to say about DVDFAB, I did not say anything about any post that you May or may not have made on the program in THIS post, You seem to be taking this personnel. And you seem to be the only one responding to this post, we all know you are not the big culprit here. And if you check some of the post you will see that I backed you up against DVDRANGER. You are most welcome to your opinion. But can you honestly say that there was not a hate compagn(sp) here. and people baiting him, knowing that he would get mad and eventually be banned.
Where are the others that do not want to BE knoticed to admit that they wanted him off the board, and that does not mean YOU wanted him off.

Marty

Hi Marty , I didn’t mean to over-explain. I do that sometimes.
That can make it seem I’m taking it personal.

It is also that I did go “toe to toe” with DVDranger at times.
You can see how I might assume I was one of the one’s that set DVDranger off.
Especially because what I posted did set DVDranger off sometimes.

As you seem to know I didn’t do that to bait DVDranger .
I actually hoped he would learn to have some self control .
I will be the first to admit I had a part in his temper tantrums .
I don’t think DVDranger knew how to handle someone who stands their ground without getting mad & shouting back or having a tantrum themselves.
That does their best to explain their actions .
Sometimes a little too intensely.

[QUOTE=DoMiN8ToR;2737762]as we were all talking about something he created (his baby so to say)I’m not easily offended so everytime he mailed me a rant I tried to tell him he should cool down and accept that people criticize his software and that he should only reply to incorrect information and not to opinions (advice I’ve given to many other software developers, which always worked).[/QUOTE]

While I agree with your POV,I can understand his behavior in some sort of way…I’m curious about how other people would react when there are lots of people saying that you have an ‘ugly baby’…:wink:

[QUOTE=DoMiN8ToR;2737762]After legal threats, announcements he wouldn’t post here anymore, a demand to not post about this software and final ‘go to hell’ out of the blue I felt that it was time to do what lots of other staff members adviced me to months ago, a ban.
Warnings never helped, and he consumed about 80% of our time with this actions, we have to draw the line somewhere. I sincerely don’t take these decisions easily, and I really want everyone to know that, but the situation went worse every week.[/QUOTE]

Don’t get me wrong,I don’t wanna criticize your decision,it’s just that IMHO some people succeeded to discredit his fine software…:wink:

[QUOTE=thor21344;2737769]

But can you honestly say that there was not a hate compagn(sp) here. and people baiting him, knowing that he would get mad and eventually be banned.
Where are the others that do not want to BE knoticed to admit that they wanted him off the board, and that does not mean YOU wanted him off.

Marty[/QUOTE]

Excellent post,Marty!!!:bow:

What’s wrong with telling someone they have a snuggly baby ? :wink: :smiley:

@ roadworker , Above is supposed to be a joke. A play on words.
I know your main language isn’t English so I added this.