Dvdr3480/58

vbimport

Hi. I have a big problem. My DVD player always displays external subtitles in dark green colour a they’re very small. Is it capable to display subbtitles in other colours and sizes?

I know that some subtitle formats support colour tags etc… but I don’t know which of them work on philips players/recorders. I’ve already tried several formats (made by SubtitleWorks), but the subtitles are still green and small.

I’ve searched this forum and found that someone have similiar problem but that weren’t external subtitles but DVD subtitles.

I’m desperate, please help me someone. :sad:

and sorry for my english

Welcome to CD Freaks :slight_smile:

Firstly, have you investigated the options under the Setup Menu? There is a ‘Playback Settings’ tab which leads to ‘DivX subtitle fonts’ and their characteristics.

I can look on my 3480/05 but am not next to it at the moment. Will try and check tonight.

Any news here?

I looked and there is an option for the fonts and characteristics. Is there one on your edition?

Otherwise you may have to edit and change the subtitle fonts yourself, with something like Subtitle Workshop (freeware).

In my font menu there is only 4 options (standart, central europe, asia, etc…).
No size, font, or color settings. :confused:
I’ve already tried Subtitle Workshop. (see my first post).

What do you mean by “external subtitles”? Ones that are with DivX or XviD files?

The only other solution I know is to an old problem that occurred when using IFOedit, but that is obviously only for DVD-Video.

[quote=imkidd57;2032300]What do you mean by “external subtitles”? Ones that are with DivX or XviD files?

The only other solution I know is to an old problem that occurred when using IFOedit, but that is obviously only for DVD-Video.[/quote]

I mean subtitles which are in separate file, usually ending with .srt or .sub extension.
I never use DivX, just pure Xvid video streams with FAAC or AAC or MP3 audio in AVI file.

OK some of your own observations or experiences would be helpful (and BTW your English is just fine :slight_smile: )

For example:

[ul]
[li]Do you notice any pattern to it; I mean do all your external subtitles play on the DVDR3480 in green/small font?[/li][li]How about if they are multiplexed in the .avi file… same thing?[/li][li]I presume the subtitles behave normally on other players or the PC…?[/li][/ul]
I’m not suggesting you convert all the files again but it would help us to track down the reasons for any differences. It may be the Philips subtitle rendering that is not right but it would be nice to find a way around that without getting into firmware patching.

I see on a couple of other forums people having the green colour when using external subtitles on the PC video player VLC, but that does have different rendering options.

If you look here there are several subtitle tools that will multiplex or allow editing of the subtitle text. You may like to try some of them…

i have the same problem with subtitles-> font is very small and the colour is green when playing divx movies. it happens with both external subtitles and those “integrated” in the .avi file. i have the new firmware already installed on player.
the last post was more that 6months ago, so i hope this problem is solved!

help anyone?

I also got “green” “small” subs when i watch Xvid files. We just have to hope that Philips put out a new firmware soon, that solves the problem. :sad:

Ive found a temporary solution :slight_smile: Download this program http://www.calcitapp.com/getaviaddxsubs.php Its called AVIAddXSubs. It ads permanet subs to the avi file. Its really easy and its fast. When its done just rename it to avi instead of divx. Put it in the player, start and choose subs, all done. You can have any color or subs you want. Good luck.