DVDR3365: teething problems

Have Philips DVDR-3365

I’m Not all that happy with it.

1. Takes a while to start up which isn’t great when you remember at the last minute you need to record something :doh: (cant leave it powered up all the time as it gets extremely hot after couple of hours)
  2. The clock on it skips the 3’s but still keeps in time… ie; when it’s 11:29am it will sit on that time for 11mins and then change to 11:40am. (found it makes it impossible to set the timer to record anything that has a 3 in the time, yes i know i can always set it earlier but when i’ve got one show on at 8:30 to 9:30 and then another on a different channel from 9:30 to 10:30 i end up missing the first 10 minutes of the second show) :sad:
  3. Playback of store bought DVDs are fine, BUT anything recorded off TV or copied DVDs are not real good. After watching for approx just over an hour it starts to jump, blurr, distort, lose some sound, freeze etc

Will go have a look on the website to see if there are any firmware upgrades to help these problems, hopefully there is or i think i will go back and get a refund.

Cheers :flower:

Check your firmwareversion with the description below:
Step 1:
First check your current firmware version to see if you need to upgrade:

1. Keep no disc in DVD tray.
  2. Press <0>, <0>, <0>, <9>, <OK> on the Remote Control.
  3. The software version is “DVDR33XX_XX_BTX_X, 43.0X.XX” displayed on the TV screen.
  4. Compare the version shown on screen with this firmware upgrade version, BT6_4, 43.02.19/43.03.10.
    If the current software is lower than BT6_4, proceed to step 2.
    If the loader version shown on the screen is 43.02.XX and XX is lower than 19, proceed to step 2.
    If the loader version shown on the screen is 43.03.XX and XX is lower than 10, proceed to step 2.
    Otherwise, no upgrade is required, and you should return the unit ASAP. :confused:

Step 2:
http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/dcbint/cpcontent.pl?slg=ENG&mid=Link_Software&cat=DVD_PLAYERS_RECORDERS_CA&sct=DVD_RECORDERS_SU&session=20060616103925_194.151.74.94&grp=HOME_AUDIO_VIDEO_GR&ctn=DVDR3365/19&dct=FUS&did=ENG&file=/files/d/dvdr3365_19/dvdr3365_19_fur_eng.pdf
:iagree:

This last problem sounds like a media issue. What is the brand of recordable discs you are using?

1. Takes a while to start up which isn’t great when you remember at the last minute you need to record something (cant leave it powered up all the time as it gets extremely hot after couple of hours)

The Philips 3365 does take around 15 seconds or so to boot up. It has no fan but you should not be having heat issues if you leave it powered on, especially if you follow the guidelines in the user’s manual.

1. The clock on it skips the 3’s but still keeps in time… ie; when it’s 11:29am it will sit on that time for 11mins and then change to 11:40am. (found it makes it impossible to set the timer to record anything that has a 3 in the time, yes i know i can always set it earlier but when i’ve got one show on at 8:30 to 9:30 and then another on a different channel from 9:30 to 10:30 i end up missing the first 10 minutes of the second show)

My 3365 does not behave like this. There is a good chance that you have a lemon - return it.

1. Playback of store bought DVDs are fine, BUT anything recorded off TV or copied DVDs are not real good. After watching for approx just over an hour it starts to jump, blurr, distort, lose some sound, freeze etc

Again, I don’t have this issue with my 3365. I agree with imkidd87, this sounds more like a media issue than a problem with the recorder.

The recorder does have some idiotic software/design niggles that make it pretty frustrating to use.

1. The recorder does not send the auto 16:9 detection signal to a WS compatible TV set if it is set to 16:9 widescreen in the menu.

2. You have to FORCE the recorder to output either Pal or NTSC, this is frustrating for a purist who prefers to view a DVD in it’s native format. Hasn’t Philips heard of the “Auto” mode?

3. Although the menu has an option that enables the user to select a default input source, the recorder completely ignores it and one has to set it manually every time one does a recording - Philips should realise that not all of us use the in-built tuner. Some of us like to connect DTH Reciever boxes to the rear of the recorder. :frowning:

4. Lack of a battery backup in case of a power cut. I don’t get it, if National Panasonic could do this 15+ years ago in their ultra cheap VCR’s, then what is preventing Philips from doing the same with the 3365?

I do have the same problem of slow start and default input source. My model number reads DVDR3365/97, does the firmware dvdr3365_19_fus_eng at above link compatible for model number? please help…

I did some digging and found the version I want on the same site. Thanks for the weblink…