I just bought a second hand Philips DVDR1000 (DVDR1000/171 Nov 2001) that will read audio CDs fine, but not DVDs of any kind. I tried commercial movies from USA and Australia, +R, +RW, -R, VCD, CD data and DVD data discs. All display ‘NO DISC’. Interestingly, when I put in a blank DVD+RW it says ‘EMPTY DISC’ and recognises it as a DVD+RW disc.
I have upgraded the firmware to ff9p but it didnt help. My questions:
- Is that the latest version?
- The thread above recommends the revision before (ffpo) why?
- Is it possible to get/install a new laser?
- Why does the Philips site tout v6.3 as the latest version, is that later than ff9p?
- How can I tell what the region it is set to read DVDs for ?
My Firmware version details is:
BASE_SYS 20030703_FF9p 20030704_1330zp.
Maybe its just plain broken? I bought it cheap unseen accepting the risk, but I would really like to try and get it going. I have even tried to use a laser lens cleaner, but it just acts like all the other discs and reads ‘NO DISC’. So it doesnt display the diagnostic info on the disc, or get to the cleaning track.
Any suggestions would be very welcome and appreciated.