DVDR Double-Sided Writer/Burner

vbimport

The idea came out as there is a speed bottleneck when accessing the DVD disc. When CD writer was first introduced, the speed is 1x. Then it gradually increased to 2x, 4x, and now 24x for writing. At certain stage, there will be a speed bottleneck because of the CD-R media limitation.

Then DVD writers were introduced. They will follow the same path as their counterpart. 1x, 2x, now is 8x. At certain stage, although technology will keep improving, it will arrives to a certain speed bottleneck. Since DVDR is having bigger capacity, slow recording speed will become a problem.

Because of the above reason, it would be nice to have a DVDR Double-Sided Writer. Conceptually, the writer will have 2 laser beams, one on the top, one at the bottom. Therefore, the writer read and record the DVDR disc on both sides simultaneously and no need to flip the disc. The positioning of the beams can be arranged 180 degree away from one another so that if the disc sides are misplaced one side of the other, still it can be read properly.

The benefits of dual-beam writer are:
(1) Faster reading and recording. The data are stored into both sides at the same time. Therefore it is twice faster than common single-beam writer.
(2) Provide security. Since the data are stored simultaneously on both sides, it cannot be read on common single-beam writer.
(3) Compatibility. It can still be recorded on single-beam writer. When it is read on double-sided DVD drive, either laser beam can read the information recorded. No need to worry on which sides it is stored.
(4) Greater capacity. Using the above concept, the disc therefore can have greater storage capacity.

Currently, there are already double-sided media sold in the market. However, there is just no DVD writer at the moment that maximize the features of the double-sided DVDRs. We hope manufacturers can think about this new concept and start developing the writer pretty soon. I am sure there will be a huge market in this area.

I don’t think these players and writers will become available in the market. Technicallly it could be possible, but it’d require about 50% more hardware in the same housing. This means a much higher price (compacting hardware is expensive), more heat etc etc.

And what about the safety of your data? If data is written on two sides at the same time, it is stored like in a RAID-0 array: data is spread over the two sides? That’d mean that a single scratch can ruin about 17Gb of data…

And euh… the blueray recorders will enter the market quite soon. Around 2005 they can do about 50Gb on a disc. That’s even better, so why create another standard?

Originally posted by Dee-ehn
Technicallly it could be possible, but it’d require about 50% more hardware in the same housing. This means a much higher price (compacting hardware is expensive),

Well, I suppose that they could make the drive full hight instead of half hight, but I doubt customers would like that.

But like you said, the discs would also have to endure alot of heat.

DVD is already a “dead” format. HD-DVD and blue-ray technology will replace it, and coincidently make dual-layer DVD obsolete too.

Originally posted by rdgrimes
DVD is already a “dead” format. HD-DVD and blue-ray technology will replace it, and coincidently make dual-layer DVD obsolete too.

I suppose every “latest technology” has a replacement just around the corner.