DVDR 3480 USB Problem

vbimport

I was just wondering if anyone can help me.

I bought this unit last night and finally got round to setting it up tonight.
The main selling point for this unit was the fact I can playback from an external source via USB.

I have a 500gb external hard drive with loadsa stuff on (about 120gb free) and when the machine tries to read from the external drive it just stops responding. The little timer on the right of the screen (4 little dots) just stops moving after a few minutes! It always seems to stop at a different point as well.

I’m really getting wound up trying to get this sorted.

Can anyone help me?

You can play from an external HDD as long as it is formatted as FAT32. However you can’t fast-forward or fast-reverse or it will lock up. Probably related to it being a USB1.1 rather than 2.0.

What sort of files are you trying to play; DVD-Video, MPEG2 or XviD/DivX?

I’m trying to play DivX.

It won’t even let me choose a file to play as when it’s reading/scanning the drive the machine just seems to crash.
Only way to get it to do anything is to unplug the DVD recorder from the mains!

Some things which may be involved are:

[ol]
[li]Is the drive formatted as FAT32?
[/li][li]Have you upgraded the firmware to the most recent? This includes a fix for locking up which didn’t help in the review machine, but may in your case with loads of files.
[/li][li]How many files do you have on the drive?
[/li][li]Does it help if you organise them into folders?
[/li][/ol]

Blimey I didn’t realise there was so much on my hard drive till I went to see how many files and folders there are…
142,555 Files
9,357 Folders

It is formatted as FAT32

I haven’t upgraded the firmware on the burner yet, do you think that may help?

EDIT -
Just checked my firmware version and it’s the latest version (03_08)
Would it be possible to downgrade?
I’m just wondering as you mentioned that it didn’t help upgrading for the reviewer.

To be honest, the drive used in the review didn’t have that many files on it; maybe 50 or so. That’s why I thought the firmware upgrade might help, but it appears you have the latest version.

I don’t know what else to suggest, since it looks like the sheer number of files - or the time taken to read them - is what’s locking up the recorder. I’ll try and see if I can get the time to check the review machine with a load more files on the external drive. At least being able to replicate the problem would be something.

Thanks dude!