DVDIdentifier oddity

vbimport

As I have been made aware that 'Identifier doesn’t identify certain aspects of DVD discs, still I don’t understand that when inserting some DVD’s, my version 4.3.0 'Identifier fails at identifying the discs.

What it usually says is “ERROR : Unsupported Medium Detected” and “INFO : Disc Identification Requires DVD, HD DVD or Blu-Ray Recorder And Matching Media” regardless that the DVD proceeds to play back using both the same reader that 'Identifier won’t identify the disc with and plays back using Sony (ya I know) VAIO’s Intervideo WinDVD 5’s player.

I just don’t get it. 'Identifier is supposed to help users do what? It certainly isn’t identifying playable discs.

I’m trying to narrow down some issues I experience with why my OEM optical drive won’t play a lot of DVD+RW and -R discs, yet the same discs will play back using my external rewriter.

Ref. OEM installed Intervideo WinDVD 5 and the optical drive by Pioneer, model DVD+RW DVR-12KD optical drive (reads/writes CD, CD-R and CD-RW and DVD DVD+R and DVD+RW and “most” DVD-R and DVD-RW discs.

And the rewriter (LG Electronics GSA-5156D) reads/writes CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+RW & DVD-RAM discs. And the only difference the LG’ has/is it reads/writes DVD-RAM discs.

DVD Decrypter reports the external multi-writer as “HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-5160D” and the OEM drive as “Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-K12D”.

As both drives seem to use the exact same sets of drivers, and from what I can determine, the only noteable difference between the two (drives) is that the 'Identifier reports the drives as capable of supporting DVD+R/+RW/-R/-RW and DVD-R DL and DVD-RAM (whereas the Pioneer lacks only supporting DVD-R DL and DVD-RAM).

Aside from trying to get it through my head why 'Identifier reports errors on certain discs, why my OEM optical drive doesn’t even see these discs when inserted (manual or auto-play), any other expertise shared is appreciated.

It makes no sense to “see” or “read” a blank media - the drive only needs to recognize the media to be able to burn to it.