DVDFabHDDecrypter5.2.3.2 vs. Valkyrie WS R1 in XPHSP3

I’ve backed up hundreds of other DVDs (including immediately before this one), so it isn’t a system or operator error.
NEC ND-3550A DMA
HP Pavilion 325c + 2GB RAM
I’ve ripped the source twice now, and each time, DVDFab fails to copy VTS_02_0.VOB (10KB). This error isn’t detected by PGCEdit8.6, FixVTS1.25, or DVDShrink3.2.0.15 - all process the files & even preview the full movie. But when Shrink attempts to burn (using native Nero), file reallocation fails due to the absence of VTS_02_0.VOB. Even using Nero6.6.0.14(Plextor) directly requires ignoring the error, and a fully playable DVD is produced, but the movie is missing at least one large segment.

I can drag&drop VTS_02_0.VOB from the original into the destination folder through Windows Explorer, but will that produce a good backup? VTS_02_1.VOB is 420KB in both the source & destination, so it appears the missing file contains little or no data, but the burn apparently won’t work without it.

Is installing 6.0.1.0 a fix?

EDIT*****
I just re-opened it with PGCEdit after dropping in the missing file, and got the message:
“There are some VOB files in your DVD folder that are not referenced by the current IFOs: VTS_02_0.VOB You should remove them now. (Recommended)”

So it would seem that Fab isn’t the real source of the error - it’s the DVD’s structure. Is this a new form of DRM?

[QUOTE=Steve83;2284743]I’ve backed up hundreds of other DVDs (including immediately before this one), so it isn’t a system or operator error.
NEC ND-3550A DMA
HP Pavilion 325c + 2GB RAM
I’ve ripped the source twice now, and each time, DVDFab fails to copy VTS_02_0.VOB (10KB). This error isn’t detected by PGCEdit8.6, FixVTS1.25, or DVDShrink3.2.0.15 - all process the files & even preview the full movie. But when Shrink attempts to burn (using native Nero), file reallocation fails due to the absence of VTS_02_0.VOB. Even using Nero6.6.0.14(Plextor) directly requires ignoring the error, and a fully playable DVD is produced, but the movie is missing at least one large segment.

I can drag&drop VTS_02_0.VOB from the original into the destination folder through Windows Explorer, but will that produce a good backup? VTS_02_1.VOB is 420KB in both the source & destination, so it appears the missing file contains little or no data, but the burn apparently won’t work without it.

Is installing 6.0.1.0 a fix?

EDIT*****
I just re-opened it with PGCEdit after dropping in the missing file, and got the message:
“There are some VOB files in your DVD folder that are not referenced by the current IFOs: VTS_02_0.VOB You should remove them now. (Recommended)”

So it would seem that Fab isn’t the real source of the error - it’s the DVD’s structure. Is this a new form of DRM?[/QUOTE]

I see you’re trying to scrape by using the freebie Fab (DVDFab HD Decrypter) along with DVD Shrink to compress the files and Nero to burn them… OK, I guess…I’d use Imgburn in place of Nero, though…

VTS, as you may, or may not, have surmised, stands for Video Title Set - meaning menu, and not part of the actual film…If anything from the film itself is missing after the burn, blame the burner…(Nero)

No…nothing new in that kinda scam to fool would-be copiers…same kind as the kind that puts several movie files of the same film on the same disc, all incomplete and fake except 1, which drives a dual layer disc to show a size of around 50 GB (they monkey with other values on the disc, too, to get things to look like that), but Fab has been able to take care of that.

I do suggest, however, that you update to the newest version, to make sure there aren’t other Hollywood scams on discs that any older versions of Fab might miss.

OC

:slight_smile:

Thanks, but my understanding of filenames isn’t what’s causing this, and yes: I know a VTS from a VCD. :wink: But it’s not Nero, and this isn’t happening AFTER the burn. It’s happening after the RIP. Nero is the only thing detecting the error, but it can’t fix it. I just tried again dropping the file into the Shrink destination folder while Shrink was encoding, but Nero (thru Shrink) still couldn’t find it, even though WinExplorer shows it’s there. I’m about to try one more time using Nero directly.

But I have a hard time understanding why ImgBurn would succeed since this VOB isn’t referenced in the IFOs.

As to ‘scraping by’… I’ve ‘scraped’ together a library of ~2,000 DVDs so far using basically this same process. But I’ll install Fab6.0.1,0 and try again if Nero fails this time.

The version you’re using is not officially supported any longer and most of us in the forum have moved on to v6.0.1.0 as well, so it is hard for us to try to duplicate the problem. If you think it’s a protection gimmick (no one else has reported this exact symptom) the best thing to do is make sure PathPlayer is in Always Enable mode and let DVDFab analyze the disc, then click on the Send IFO files button on the Info page. Include a link to this thread in the message box at the bottom of the form. I would try updating to 6010 first though.

[QUOTE=Steve83;2284827]Thanks, but my understanding of filenames isn’t what’s causing this, and yes: I know a VTS from a VCD. :wink: But it’s not Nero, and this isn’t happening AFTER the burn. It’s happening after the RIP. Nero is the only thing detecting the error, but it can’t fix it. I just tried again dropping the file into the Shrink destination folder while Shrink was encoding, but Nero (thru Shrink) still couldn’t find it, even though WinExplorer shows it’s there. I’m about to try one more time using Nero directly.

But I have a hard time understanding why ImgBurn would succeed since this VOB isn’t referenced in the IFOs.

As to ‘scraping by’… I’ve ‘scraped’ together a library of ~2,000 DVDs so far using basically this same process. But I’ll install Fab6.0.1,0 and try again if Nero fails this time.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your comments, and I [B]DO[/B] realize something is screwy right after the rip, and not the burn.

That’s why I suggested Imgburn:
a.) It’s simply a better burner
b.) It does the file reallocation more accurately than Nero
c.) Its error reporting is more accurate and more descriptive than Nero’s.

Have you tried previewing the just-ripped and just-compressed files with VLC to ensure they’re what you’re expecting before you try a burn? (with either burner…) - (and both with and without the VTS in question…)

That may help you zero in on certain problems…

OC

I don’t recognize “VLC”, so I probably don’t have it installed. But as I said: I can preview the entire movie without problems in those programs I do use. None of them cares that the 02_0.VOB is missing - only Nero. And I don’t compress during ripping, so “just-compressed” is quite a while & a few steps after “just-ripped”.

Nero still complained about reallocation (despite the file being in the folder & on the list to be burned), but the DVD plays smoothly, so: problem sidestepped & I have my backup.

I have PP set to use when needed; is that good enough? I guess I’ll install 6010 since I’ve dl’ed it.

I realize I’m not using the preferred method or software, but it works for me without fail (sometimes it takes a few attempts), so I’m sticking with it for a while longer, at least. Thanks for the advice so far. Even if I don’t follow it 100%, I still appreciate it.

[QUOTE=Steve83;2284935]I don’t recognize “VLC”, so I probably don’t have it installed. But as I said: I can preview the entire movie without problems in those programs I do use. None of them cares that the 02_0.VOB is missing - only Nero. And I don’t compress during ripping, so “just-compressed” is quite a while & a few steps after “just-ripped”.

Nero still complained about reallocation (despite the file being in the folder & on the list to be burned), but the DVD plays smoothly, so: problem sidestepped & I have my backup.

I have PP set to use when needed; is that good enough? I guess I’ll install 6010 since I’ve dl’ed it.

I realize I’m not using the preferred method or software, but it works for me without fail (sometimes it takes a few attempts), so I’m sticking with it for a while longer, at least. Thanks for the advice so far. Even if I don’t follow it 100%, I still appreciate it.[/QUOTE]

Before I overcame my natural cheapness and splurged for the full version of this program, I used to use exactly the same software you do to copy and compress data to fit on a single layer DVD.

I am quite familiar with the process, and earlier, I even used Nero to do my writes. (got an OEM version of Nero 6 with my computer, and it just happened to fit DVD Shrink).

When you do finally decide to blow some money, the full version of this program is, in my opinion, money not wasted. It’ll serve you long and well - long after you’ve stopped missing the spent money.

Good luck!

OC