DVDFab5 - How do I start a recording at a specific point?

vbimport

I hope this is the correct forum. I initially posted in another forum but was referred here.

I’m a new DVDFab5 Platinum user and don’t know much about DVD recording. I don’t understand a lot of what I’ve read on the forums but I’ve been reading and trying to pick up info from the context. Before I retired, I did mainframe and PC support for a Fortune 500 company, so I have some knowledge of computers. DVDs weren’t part of my reality back then. LOL

I have managed to use DVDFab5 to backup a few of my movies and they play on other DVD players, so I know it works! :slight_smile:

I’ve searched & searched the forum and the Guide but can’t seem to find an answer to my question: How do I start a recording at a specific point, i.e., I recorded a program onto a DVD, then copied it to my hard drive. It has 25 chapters. By trial and error, I found that where I want to start is a few minutes into Chapter 6.

Is there any way I can tell DVDFab to start at X-minutes into the recording? (I want to eliminate chapters 1-5 and some of chapter 6.)

Thank you for any help or guidance anyone can provide.

Regards, Susan (a VERY DVD newbie!)

System: Vista Home Premium with a DVD burner that uses single-layer discs.

I know via the “Customize” Function that you can select a starting and ending chapter within a title. So if a title contains 12 chapters, you can choose to record chapters 6 through 12 only.

But I do not believe there is any way via DVDFab to start recording a few minutes into a chapter.

There might be some editing software out there which would enable you to divide a chapter in two. But someone else would have to guide you as I have no need myself to do such editing.

Thank you so much, CaptainVideo. As much as I searched, I wasn’t able to find any option for selecting “minutes” rather than “chapters”. I’m hopeful that someone will let me know if I can use other software to edit out unwanted stuff.

[QUOTE=sewlady_1;2175720]Thank you so much, CaptainVideo. As much as I searched, I wasn’t able to find any option for selecting “minutes” rather than “chapters”. I’m hopeful that someone will let me know if I can use other software to edit out unwanted stuff.[/QUOTE]

Yes - there are ways of doing what you want.

I use (if I can mention Program names on this forum) VideoReDo Plus extensively to do editing of .mpg files to isolate only the parts I want. The program will handle .VOB files (which are the DVD’s multiplexed video, audio and NavPackets data), and will save the file as an .mpg file (minus the NavPacket data). If you get the VideoReDo TV Suite package, it will allow you to take that .mpg file, and re-write it back to a blank DVD in a format playable on set-top players (with NavPacket data suited to the files you’ve selected).

Sorry if I sound like an ad for the program, but I have found it simple to use and well supported by the authors.

Good luck.

Hi Susan,

While Fab is not capable of re-authoring anything smaller than a chapter,
this is fairly easy to accomplish with other software.
I’m not familiar with VideoReDo, but it sounds like solid software and comes well recommended by O’Canada…perhaps a bit pricey at $30 and $74.99, but I guess that depends upon your needs.

Another option for you and it’s free, is good old [B]DVD Shrink[/B]. While it’s no longer developed, this won’t matter since you’re not decrypting with it, but simply re-authoring the dvd.

Here’s a great guide for shrink:

http://www.dvdshrink.info/guides.php

Just scroll down the page to [B]Re-author[/B].
(Included are several tutorials for re-authoring).

If you don’t already have shrink, don’t pay to download it…these sites are scams since it’s freeware.
If you have trouble with any of this, just post back and we’ll help you out.

Hope this helps

Susan

Maineman is absolutely right - I have DVD Shrink, but I’ve found, for my needs, it doesn’t have the precision I want for edits. But, it’s still a very efffective tool, and you can’t beat the price!

VideoReDO, for the price you pay, allows you frame by frame accuracy for editing videos, and among options, allows you to re-sync audio and video should the need arise because of edits made, or problems with the source material.

If you can get away with the editing capabilities of DVD Shrink, that would be by far your best (and least expensive) bet.

:bigsmile:

Thank you so much, Maineman and O’Canada! Now I can stop wondering why I can’t find the right option in DVDFab :smiley: and pursue other options.

I believe I might try DVD Shrink first and see what happens. I just googled it and see there might be some issues with Vista, but some people have it working with Vista.

Thank you again! It is so appreciated.

Regards, Susan

it is very easy to do this in dvdshrink - .

1. rip with DVDfab to your hard drive, using one of the DVD to dvd options,
  2. then open the hard drive files with dvdshrink & select reauthor option then select set start & end points and postion them where you want them. there’s a preview window as well as a timer so you can see exactly where you are starting from.
  3. burn the dvdshrink output video_TS folder to a blank DVD with IMGburn

cybmole, thank you SO much for the step-by-step instructions! I really appreciate your taking the time to do this. I have downloaded DVDShrink and will be installing it soon.

Regards, Susan

[QUOTE=sewlady_1;2176898]cybmole, thank you SO much for the step-by-step instructions! I really appreciate your taking the time to do this. I have downloaded DVDShrink and will be installing it soon.

Regards, Susan[/QUOTE]

no problem - just ask if you get stuck at any point.

DVDfab (to rip)+ DVD shrink ( to edit) + imgburn (to burn) is a very powerful combination - you can do achieve just about anything by using what each program does best, & the latter two are both freeware!