DVDFab

Hi, 1st Forum, 1st Post, Please bare with me.
I have Windows Vista Home Premium 32bit, 250 HD, 3GB Ram, 2GB mem.
When I copy DVD movies to my HD with DVDFab the extention is .VOB. I can’t play that extention. Is that the correct ext. when coping DVD movies?
Is there a way to change the ext. or play them on WMPlayer 11 ?
Thank You

VOB is the extension of the original DVDs (along with IFO and BUP files). I think WMP will play them if you download and install ffdshow (free, google it), but a better alternative may be the WinDVD or PowerDVD players (not free) or the free and excellent VLC media player. If you have the paid version of DVDFab with the DVD to Mobile option, you can convert the DVDs to smaller MPEG-4 files (AVI, MP4 etc.) that can be played with WMP. You can find VLC media player [B]here[/B].

[QUOTE=chastjr52;2303574]Hi, 1st Forum, 1st Post, Please bare with me.
I have Windows Vista Home Premium 32bit, 250 HD, 3GB Ram, 2GB mem.
When I copy DVD movies to my HD with DVDFab the extention is .VOB. I can’t play that extention. Is that the correct ext. when coping DVD movies?
Is there a way to change the ext. or play them on WMPlayer 11 ?
Thank You[/QUOTE]

Yes, that is the correct extension. There are two ways of playing those files once you have them on your HD…

WMP11 should be able to handle those…try playing either the VIDEO_TS folder, or if that doesn’t work, try playing the VTS_0_0.IFO file.

If that fails, Google ffdshow - and download it (a set of A/V codecs that WMP11 can use) and it should work OK.

Unless you’re wedded to WMP11, you might find a utility called VLC Media Player might prove to be a better tool…It’ll play almost every kind of video file, as well as DVDs, and doesn’t require any extra codecs to do this.

It’s a freebie on the web. Try it.

OC

:slight_smile:

Darn my SLOW fingers!!

Excellent advice from my good friends signals and OC.
I also recommend installing

VLC <—click on the link

It’s free, will play darn near anything and does not rely on external codecs.

WMP is perfectly capable of playing .vob files, but you would have tweak it to search for and open the .vob files and not just “media” files.
Since you ripped the disc to your hdd in typical dvd file structure, you’re not going to want to play individual .vob files anyway.

You’re probably going to want to play the file from the menu, assuming it has one, or at least from the beginning of the movie and thus, be able to navigate as you would on a disc.

After installing VLC, open it >
File > Open Directory
and then navigate to your folder containing the movie , click on it and then click
Ok
The movie will play in a “normal” fashion.

FYI,
Compliant dvd file structure will contain the following:
(the AUDIO_TS Folder is typically empty)

Ok, ok…I get the prize for the slowest (and oldest) fingers.
Sorry OC, didn’t see your comments on VLC until after I posted…:doh:
And sorry signals, I didn’t see your link either…:doh::doh:

Thanks
Some reason they play now.

Thanks
Got ffdshow no problem

got ffdshow no problem
Thanks

you can do this also http://apcmag.com/how_to_play_ripped_dvds_on_vista_media_center.htm

Or just install my movies