DVDFab won't open or completely download

I have been using DVDFAb a lot since last July. All of a sudden i went to open it to copy a disc and it wouldn’t open. I tried installing the newest version over the old version, then completely uninstalling the old version and installing the new version from scratch and nothing works. When I install the new version it gets to the final stage where it says “Finishing Installation…” and then gets hung up it never completes that and i still can’t open the program. I have gone through several anti-virus cleaning stuff and this is the only program i am having a problem with so i assume there is a glitch somewhere. What should my next step be to get the program to work? I am on a tight deadline and would really like to be able to use the program now. Thank you for any information.

Sorry - I should also note that I followed the directions for the clean uninstall in another post -except the regeditor section and then opened the program to download and had the same results. I tried to do another clean uninstall and i could not delete the DVDFab folder in the Program Files folder because it said avcodec.dll was in use and then i could not proceed. Thanks again for any help.

Hi Therese68 and welcome to the forum and CDFreaks ! T he first thing I would do is look thru the threads and find StormJumper’s thread and look at his signature. There you will find two title’s on how to do a clean uninstall of DVDFab. One is for a Vista system the other is for windows XP. He is very smart let me tell ya. Follow his instructions for which ever you are running, download a fresh version of 5.3.0.6 from this site and see if that doesn’t help. It sounds like something might have been corrupted in your program. The clean uninstall will remove Everything that was there so that you can start anew ok. Remember to have a backup of your Key for Fab. Try that and then get back to us. Good luck. ~ Mike

Hi, you posted while I was typing lol. I’m not real fast. Have you tried to reinstall Fab since the aborted clean uninstall ? ~ Mike

Thanks Mike - Yes I did try to re-install and it still gets hung up on the “finishing installation…” stage. It doesn’t seem to want to go past that. I am going to uninstall and hope I can follow StormJumper’s directions again. I am using Windows XP. I didn’t do the regeditor last time only because when i went to run and typed regedit nothing happened. I am not sure what is happening there either, never had that problem before. Any other suggestions?

Do you have a registry cleaner app that you can run ? If you do I’d try running that. Also I’d defrag your HDD if you haven’t in a while. But I really think its in your reg. ~ Mike

Hi Therese68
Welcome to CD Freaks and the DVDFab forum :flower:
I see you are the reason for my ears burning guess I should try and help before they become toast :bigsmile: LOL

Please try the following steps in order…
1…Run the Disk Cleanup Utility that is found under “Accessories”->"System Tools"
2…Run the Disck Defragmenter that is also located at “Accessories”->"System Tools"
3…Download a registry cleaner called “CCleaner” which is freeware and very good
4…Do the clean unintsall again and after doing so run CCleaner again
5…Download a new install package for DVDFab DON’T use the one you already have on your system just delete that one
6…Now re-install the program

Thank you Mike and StormJumper. I had actually run CCleaner since my last post, but I went ahead and followed your steps from scratch. I had to run CCleaner several times in a row before it didn’t find anything to fix. HOWEVER, I am still getting hung up at the same spot: “finishing Installation…” and then nothing happens and of course I can’t open the program because it doesn’t actually finish. I am downloading version 5306 beta from the first post in this thread. I am also downloading from the first page, I didn’t read all 4 pages of posts. I assume that the first link is still a good one. I realize that something is interfering with the download, but I don’t know how to find it. Any suggestions??? Thanks again…

Let me guess…Vista home? Sorry just saw you are using XP, try downloading and installing with your firewall and anti-virus turned off.

Windows XP Home

[QUOTE=Therese68;2247482]Windows XP Home[/QUOTE]

Can you do me a favor and go to dvdfab.com and download and install version 5232

Same result. On a side note. I can’t do a clean uninstall until i restart my computer. I can do everything except delete the DVDFab folder in Program Files. It gives me the same error that I reported earlier that one of the files is in use and i can’t delete it. After I restart my computer then I have no problem deleting the folder. This is just very frustrating because I use this program a lot and it is just weird that it worked fine one day and then I can’t do anything the next. My original version was very old by the way. I don’t think I updated it since last July. Do you guys have anything else up your sleeve? AGain it seems okay until it gets to the “Finishing Installation…” then i have all green bars and nothing happens. I don’t get error messages or anything it just stops everything.

[QUOTE=Therese68;2247585]Same result. On a side note. I can’t do a clean uninstall until i restart my computer. I can do everything except delete the DVDFab folder in Program Files. It gives me the same error that I reported earlier that one of the files is in use and i can’t delete it. After I restart my computer then I have no problem deleting the folder. This is just very frustrating because I use this program a lot and it is just weird that it worked fine one day and then I can’t do anything the next. My original version was very old by the way. I don’t think I updated it since last July. Do you guys have anything else up your sleeve? AGain it seems okay until it gets to the “Finishing Installation…” then i have all green bars and nothing happens. I don’t get error messages or anything it just stops everything.[/QUOTE]

OK[B]!![/B]… I have been going over this thread to see if something was over looked and ran into something got me to thinking, you stated in your first post [B]"[/B]it gets to the final stage where it says “Finishing Installation” [B]"[/B]
That last stage of the installation is when the install package installs the VSO software driver[B](Burn engine)[/B], do you have any program that monitors the installation of software program and/or drivers ?

Please do a test installation of DVDFaband make the following change during the install…when you get to the screen where you are given the options
Install VSO burn engine
Create a desktop icon
Create a Quick Launch icon

Remove the check mark next to “Install VSO burn engine” to see what happens
please note that the screen that states “Finishing Installation” may take up to a minute or two so just wait

No luck. I waited 15 minutes at the “Finishing Installation…” screen. Should I have waited longer? In the past I waited while I did other stuff and nothing happened, I guess now I am not as optimistic that things are going to change. Tech Support suggested installing after turning my firewall, spyware, etc… off. I think I have tried that but I will try again. I can download other software so whatever is blocking this is blocking something specific to DVDFab. They asked if I have any other DVD Decryptors on my machine. I have something called DVD Decryptor on it, but I am not sure it is ever in use. It seems to me I removed something like that and then couldn’t play DVDs on my computer so I don’t know if I should remove that. I bet you wish you could sit at my computer yourself and figure it out, it must be so much harder trying to tell someone else what to look for. Again, I appreciate all the time you have spent thinking about this.

[QUOTE=Therese68;2247995]No luck. I waited 15 minutes at the “Finishing Installation…” screen. Should I have waited longer? In the past I waited while I did other stuff and nothing happened, I guess now I am not as optimistic that things are going to change. Tech Support suggested installing after turning my firewall, spyware, etc… off. I think I have tried that but I will try again. I can download other software so whatever is blocking this is blocking something specific to DVDFab. They asked if I have any other DVD Decryptors on my machine. I have something called DVD Decryptor on it, but I am not sure it is ever in use. It seems to me I removed something like that and then couldn’t play DVDs on my computer so I don’t know if I should remove that. I bet you wish you could sit at my computer yourself and figure it out, it must be so much harder trying to tell someone else what to look for. Again, I appreciate all the time you have spent thinking about this.[/QUOTE]

If turning off your firewall and other security programs don’t work, try doing a system restore back before you started having this problem