DVDFab with External DVDRW

I purchased a Lacie external DVD-RW to compliment my single internal DVD-RW. I was thinking it would be easier to read the DVD from one, and record to the other without switching disks. However, I can’t get DVDFab 6.0.2 (I also tried 6.0.3 Beta) to do anything. As soon as I select the new external drive as the Target, the program locks up and won’t respond. It still works fine with the single internal drive, by reading, switching disks, and writing. The external drive writes and reads fine with Roxio and other copying software.

Anyone else have the same problem?

[QUOTE=azpilot;2407681]I purchased a Lacie external DVD-RW to compliment my single internal DVD-RW. I was thinking it would be easier to read the DVD from one, and record to the other without switching disks. However, I can’t get DVDFab 6.0.2 (I also tried 6.0.3 Beta) to do anything. As soon as I select the new external drive as the Target, the program locks up and won’t respond. It still works fine with the single internal drive, by reading, switching disks, and writing. The external drive writes and reads fine with Roxio and other copying software.

Anyone else have the same problem?[/QUOTE]

I have a LG external and DVDFab works great with that and my internal drives. Have you tried to use the external as the source and the internal as the target?

I did try using it as the source. It didn’t lock up the program, but it only moved about 2% in about 10 minutes. I also thought about the blanks I am using, since it seems a lot of the problems come from those, but the disks I am using work fine in the internal drive.

Thanks for asking.

[QUOTE=azpilot;2407777]I did try using it as the source. It didn’t lock up the program, but it only moved about 2% in about 10 minutes. I also thought about the blanks I am using, since it seems a lot of the problems come from those, but the disks I am using work fine in the internal drive.

Thanks for asking.[/QUOTE]

Does the external drive work when used by itself? (as both the read and write drive…).

Have you checked the La Cie website to see if any further software or drivers are needed to go with this external drive?

OC

:slight_smile:

Actually, I have not tried it by itself. That is a good idea. I have checked with the website, but can’t locate any drivers or firmware updates that work. I thought the drivers needed updating, because it appears to be using generic Windows drivers for the drive, but can’t locate any.

Just tried the drive by itself, as source and target. It will recognize the DVD source, and appears ready to copy. After I hit start, it does nothing for about 30 seconds, then I get the “not responding” error message and have to close the program.

This sounds like a conflict with Roxio.

I uninstalled Roxio, and ANYTHING that had something to do with DVD playback or recording. I then uninstalled and reinstalled DVDFab, but still does the same thing. Thanks for the suggestion.

The Roxio uninstall may not have cleaned out the device filters in the registry that Roxio places. If you haven’t done so, check that (with devfilter.exe (google it) or ImgBurn->Tools->Filter driver load order).

signals…I have never used devfilter.exe before. I have located it, but am not sure how to use it. Suggestions? Thanks.

As for firmware update for your drives you can use[B]VSO inspector[/B]to check if you need any and it is a free tool

I ran VSO Inspector, and it says the firmware is up to date. I hate to do this, because I love DVDFab, but does anyone know of some other DVD Backup software that I might be able to try?

[QUOTE=azpilot;2408287]I ran VSO Inspector, and it says the firmware is up to date. I hate to do this, because I love DVDFab, but does anyone know of some other DVD Backup software that I might be able to try?[/QUOTE]

Before you try that, as it may not prove to be a solution…if Fab is having a problem, other ripping software may have the same problem…

Do you have, or know anyone that has, an external DVD drive you can mount on your system for trial purposes?

The problem may be with the drive you bought, and not any software or internal conflicts. The fact that the drive doesn’t work alone kinda points that way, (as well as to possible internal conflicts).

Or, does the store you bought the drive from have the facilities to test the drive and make sure it’s functioning correctly?

OC

:slight_smile:

[QUOTE=OCanada;2408313]Before you try that, as it may not prove to be a solution…if Fab is having a problem, other ripping software may have the same problem…
[/QUOTE]
An excellent thought, but did you miss this comment?

[QUOTE=azpilot;2407681] The external drive writes and reads fine with Roxio and other copying software.
[/QUOTE]
:wink:
Like signals and probably you as well, I suspect some sort of I/O conflict. As signals suggested, Roxio seems like the lead suspect. Although the OP seems to have cleaned it up a bit, Roxio is notorious for not completely uninstalling.
I don’t have time to look right now, but I believe the solution can be found on the roxio forum.

[QUOTE=azpilot;2408033]signals…I have never used devfilter.exe before. I have located it, but am not sure how to use it. Suggestions? Thanks.[/QUOTE]Just download it and double cllick on the exe file. Click “Run” on the box that opens, then you will see a screen like that below. Single click on the drive you want to inspect on the left; its filters will show in the upper right window; click on each filter to see what software installed it and other details in the lower window. The version of this that is in ImgBurn has a handy Delete button.

Please don’t ask for recommendations for other software here. Many DVDFab users are here to help you get it running.

Well, as I agreed that it sounded like a software conflict, I re-did my entire computer. I reinstalled a fresh copy of windows, and only installed the software that I needed to run it. I then downloaded DVDFab, and tried it again. The same exact thing happened.

To make a long story short, I tried different software. (I won’t say which one) I tried it, and it worked fine. I hate to change my loyalty to DVDFab, but in this case, I have no choice.