DVDFab Weirdness

vbimport

Windows XP 64
8gb RAM
Registered DVDFab v5.0.75
140gb free on DVDFab temporary drive
Lite-ON DH-20A4P (M: drive, reading original disc)
Lite-ON SHW-160P6S (N: drive, writing to backup disc)

While trying to backup my SAW 4 DVD last night, I experienced some weirdness. I was trying to write from the original disc to the backup disc in one step (as opposed to writing to the hard drive, and then writing from the hard drive to the backup disc manually). Since I was getting so many unrecoverable read errors, I decided to just copy the main movie.

During the reading phase, I experienced a number of errors that I successfully “retried”, and the temporary file was written successfully. During the write phase (writing to the new disc), DVDFab continued reading the original disc, and kept generating the read error dialog box that I had to keep hitting Retry on.

I tried the same thing with another disc (that did not exhibit any read errors), and once the writing phase began, DVDFab never again tried to access the original disc, and the disc copied just fine.

It seems as if DVDFab gets a little whacked out if there’s a read error in a two-disc system.

Did the people/person that needs to see this actually see it?

Who knows? :slight_smile: It’s been viewed 75 times as of this post. I have never experienced or heard of such a malfunction and can’t imagine how it could even be possible with two optical drives.

During the write phase (writing to the new disc), DVDFab continued reading the original disc, and kept generating the read error dialog box that I had to keep hitting Retry on.

impossible, under normal operating conditions.

in one step (as opposed to writing to the hard drive, and then writing from the hard drive to the backup disc manually)

dvdfab still writes to hard drive first. the original can be removed while burning.

It seems as if DVDFab gets a little whacked out if there’s a read error in a two-disc system.

never once has this happened to me, even when receiving many read errors

[QUOTE=troy512;2125168]impossible, under normal operating conditions.[/QUOTE]

Define “normal” on a PC. I’m running a virgin install of XP-64 on a home-made PC sporting a Phenom 9850 CPU and 8gb of RAM. The only application running was DVDFab. For me, that’s “normal”.

[QUOTE=troy512;2125168]dvdfab still writes to hard drive first. the original can be removed while burning.[/QUOTE]

I’m aware of how DVDFab works, but I certainly didn’t imagine this. The work-around is, of course, to burn to the hard drive (and deal with the read errors during that phase), and then copy from the hard drive to the new disc. However, there is an issue here.

[QUOTE=troy512;2125168]never once has this happened to me, even when receiving many read errors[/QUOTE]

I’ve been a programmer for almost 30 years, and I’ve often used the claim that “it doesn’t happen for me”, or “I can’t duplicate the problem”, but I still look at the code to see if there’s some weird little thing that I can’t trigger. I recognize that it can be a pure bitch to find the cause of problems like this, and I’d like to see a comment from the developer that he’s at least looking it.

Besides all that, I’m a paying user, so I think I’ve got the right to expect some kind of response from the guy that’s writing the code.

Besides all that, I’m a paying user, so I think I’ve got the right to expect some kind of response from the guy that’s writing the code.[/quote]

Have you tried e-mailing DVDFab directly with your question?

[QUOTE=jsimmons3;2124573]It seems as if DVDFab gets a little whacked out if there’s a read error in a two-disc system.[/QUOTE]
Hi js…
Yeah, that really is weird behavior for Fab.
The only thing that comes to mind is that you inadvertantly had more than one application of Fab running and it wasn’t readily apparent.

Being a programmer for 30 years, I realize that you are more than just a tad comfortable around software, but do you think this is a possibility?
Personally, I once had an experience where Fab had finished analyzing the source disc and was engaged in the ripping process…when I noticed Fab was again, analyzing the source disc…:eek:
Well, I had two applications running…:doh:

[QUOTE=delerue;2125389]
Have you tried e-mailing DVDFab directly with your question?[/QUOTE]
Just an FYI,

Fengtao has been unusually “absent” for awhile. He has always been responsive to my emails and pm’s in a timely fashion. I haven’t heard from him in 1-2 weeks…unusual for sure.
Not criticizing or defending anyone here…just making an FYI comment.

[QUOTE=maineman;2125429]Hi js…
Yeah, that really is weird behavior for Fab.
The only thing that comes to mind is that you inadvertantly had more than one application of Fab running and it wasn’t readily apparent.

Being a programmer for 30 years, I realize that you are more than just a tad comfortable around software, but do you think this is a possibility?
Personally, I once had an experience where Fab had finished analyzing the source disc and was engaged in the ripping process…when I noticed Fab was again, analyzing the source disc…:eek:
Well, I had two applications running…:doh:
[/quote]

Believe it or not, I actually checked to see if that was the case, but looking at task manager, there was only one instance of DVDFab in the process list.

However, I had run DVDFab earlier in the evening and shut it down. maybe it’s not completely cleaning up after itself. Maybe a a DLL isn’t unloading and a thread is still running - I’ve seen - and done - some pretty bizarre stuff over the years. I can crash intentionally blue-screen Windows (any version, including Vista) with just a few lines of code. Anyway, I’ll keep a watchful eye and report back if it does it again.

DVDFab is infinitely useful to me, and I just want to help make it better. BTW, where do we submit suggestions for features?

The console exe process often does not close correctly after a crash or error.

It looks like the program is a Visual C++ application (if it was a .Net app, it wouldn’t run under Linux/Wine), and he’s using DLLs from ffmpeg in the console application.

It could be that the DLLs are somehow preventing the app from closing, or the app itself is not properly responding to exceptions thrown by/within the DLLs. It could also be that the DVDFab application itself (which is spawning the console app?) isn’t releasing the process handle when the console app tells it that it is closing during an error.

It’s kind of hard to say for sure without seeing the code, of course.

just a thought - why don’t you restart the entire process, i.e. with same original dvd, same PC & see if you can duplicate the fault. then post some screen shots to convince any non-believers

if you can’t duplicate it, then it’s unlikely that anyone else will be able to.

[QUOTE=cybmole;2125857]just a thought - why don’t you restart the entire process, i.e. with same original dvd, same PC & see if you can duplicate the fault. then post some screen shots to convince any non-believers

if you can’t duplicate it, then it’s unlikely that anyone else will be able to.[/QUOTE]

I got it duplicated, and this thread isn’t about the actual duplication of the DVD - it’s about an issue I discovered while trying to get the DVD duplicated.

For what it’s worth, I even rebooted and tried it again, and I still got the read errors, but like I said, this thread is to report a problem with the software.

[quote=jsimmons3;2126246]I got it duplicated, and this thread isn’t about the actual duplication of the DVD - it’s about an issue I discovered while trying to get the DVD duplicated.

For what it’s worth, I even rebooted and tried it again, and I still got the read errors, but like I said, this thread is to report a problem with the software.[/quote]

If you read cybmole’s response more carefully, you will see that he/she was trying to kindly and courteously requesting that you duplicate the ERROR so that we can help you out with the problem. That is the universal method to diagnose and fix a technical problem.