DVDFab, WD HDTV and framerates

Hello All,

I have an issue of selecting the correct container and codec in DVDFab 5.x. and would like some recommendations.

I am ripping avi/mp4/mkv files from a TV/Episodal’ DVD to compress the file size in order to play them on the Western Digital HDTV. The player does play all the files ripped so far, however, it takes about 1-2 hours, depending on the selections, to rip one file episode.

(1) Is this a normal processing time (my old pc is a single P4/2.66Ghz/2GB RAM) ? I’m using 5.2.3.2

(2) I would like to know a suggested frame rate / container / codec to use to get the highest quality without any jittering effects.

The 29.97 fps looks to be the best quality, but the playback is somewhat jittery when, for example, panning up a tall building. (AVI/H264)

The 23.97 fps plays without jitter, but the quality isn’t the same. (MP4/H264)

VOB passthrough plays the best, but is too big.

(3) Should I be aiming for the lowest bits/pixel ratio? Fixed Bitrate settings?

Long story short, I thought to ask those more knowledgable for best settings rather than trial and error as it the process takes too long. I don’t have a preference regarding the container or codec, I just want the best picture with the best compression and can run the rip overnight. I would like to keep the file size under 500MB per episode.

Best Framerate:
Bits/Pixel:
Container/Codec:

Thanks for any help. BTW…DVDFab developers, you have a great product and I have recommended it to several people.

[QUOTE=MaxPower;2272297]Hello All,

I have an issue of selecting the correct container and codec in DVDFab 5.x. and would like some recommendations.

I am ripping avi/mp4/mkv files from a ‘Rules of Engagement’ DVD to compress the file size in order to play them on the Western Digital HDTV. The player does play all the files ripped so far, however, it takes about 1-2 hours, depending on the selections, to rip one file episode.

(1) Is this a normal processing time (my old pc is P4/2.66Ghz/2GB RAM) ?

(2) I would like to know a suggested frame rate / container / codec to use to get the highest quality without any jittering effects.

The 29.97 fps looks to be the best quality, but the playback is somewhat jittery when, for example, panning up a tall building. (AVI/H264)

The 23.97 fps plays without jitter, but the quality isn’t the same. (MP4/H264)

VOB passthrough plays the best, but is too big.

(3) Should I be aiming for the lowest bits/pixel ratio?

Long story short, I thought I ask those more knowledgable for best settings rather than trial and error as it the process takes too long. I don’t have a preference regarding the container or codec, I just want the best picture with the best compression. I would like to keep the file size under 500MB.

Best Framerate:
Bits/Pixel:
Container/Codec:

Thanks for any help. BTW…DVDFab developers, you have a great product and I have recommended it to several people.[/QUOTE]Think of the bits/pixel as a Quality reading; the more the better, especially for watching on a big TV. The file size you want may not be realistic for a high quality image. I’m not really familiar with you WD box or your TV, but see if they have software controls for deinterlacing or pulldown/telecine correction. There will be some interaction between these controls and the setting in DVDFab for framerate and deinterlacing and you may need to experiment. If both the TV and the WD box are trying to correct for a telecine and interlaced to progressive scan it could have unpredictable effects. Generally, H.264 in any container your player supports at 23.97fps, a screen size of 7xxXxxx and a video bitrate of 2000-2500 kb/s will produce a pretty good image (but not as good as the original DVD). If you plan on making lots of these, consider a quad core PC with lots of RAM. Remember that you can make test conversions of just single chapters to speed up the testing and evaluation process.

Thanks for your input. I did try all containers and FPS changes. I also upgraded to 5.2.5 which is much faster. The TV is a Samsung 58" plasma.

Ripping a chapter rather than the whole episode was a good idea.

I also tried using xilisoft (not so good) and Handbrake (very good vid quality vs DVDFab using identical settings but very slow to rip).

In the end, I decided to get a bigger USB drive, as the VOB video quality was superior over H.264 or Xvid produced by either DVDFab or Handbrake.

If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.

Cheers.

I think you made a good choice. VOB Passthrough processes like lightning compared to any of the MPEG-4 modes and looks great.

Did you choose your forum nickname like Homer did (from the handle of a hair dryer) LOL. Good one.

Homer to the Max…Season 10, episode 13…

Plays great via VOB Passthrough :slight_smile:

LOL. One of my favorites.