DVDFab VSO Burning Engine, Nero Burning Rom DVD-Video or ImgBurn

The burning :cool: question, which burning app to use after copying with DVDFab - DVDFab VSO Burning Engine , Nero Burning Rom DVD-Video or ImgBurn?

I have tested all 3 and just found you can set any of the 3 to burn w/DVDFab Platinum (haven’t tried all of that yet). However, testing/burning w/any of the 3, the VIDEO_VS files came out the same size and the actual DVD size came out the same size using DVDFab and Nero but a little bigger using ImgBurn. Comments?

Is DVDFab’s (I assume proprietary) VSO Burning Engine similar to Nero’s?

[quote=PCat;2218065]The burning :cool: question, which burning app to use after copying with DVDFab - DVDFab VSO Burning Engine , Nero Burning Rom DVD-Video or ImgBurn?

I have tested all 3 and just found you can set any of the 3 to burn w/DVDFab Platinum (haven’t tried all of that yet). However, testing/burning w/any of the 3, the VIDEO_VS files came out the same size and the actual DVD size came out the same size using DVDFab and Nero but a little bigger using ImgBurn. Comments?

Is DVDFab’s (I assume proprietary) VSO Burning Engine similar to Nero’s?[/quote]
Well if you want no holds bared I would say ImgBurn it gives you more control over the drive/burner and the write speed which can bet set differently according to the different MID :bigsmile:

Thanks, StormJumper; always appreciate your experienced replies.

I must ask, what is MID? Media used?

Also, I recently just installed and used ImgBurn… if no problems arise when I use it to burn my bkups I assume I should just leave all the settings alone/default?

Issues I have been reading about are usually with speed of the burn? That can then be altered within ImgBurn if necessary?

Thanks again for all comments/replies.

[quote=PCat;2218123]Thanks, StormJumper; always appreciate your experienced replies.

I must ask, what is MID? Media used?

Also, I recently just installed and used ImgBurn… if no problems arise when I use it to burn my bkups I assume I should just leave all the settings alone/default?

Issues I have been reading about are usually with speed of the burn? That can then be altered within ImgBurn if necessary?

Thanks again for all comments/replies.[/quote]
MID [B]->[/B] [B]M[/B]edia [B]ID[/B]

Open ImgBurn and click on Tools on the menubar and select settings then click on the Build tab and put a check mark in the box next to “Don’t prompt image details” there are other settings that you may find usefull but the one I just pointed out will keep you from having to click ok ever time DVDFab starts ImgBurn (No babysitting :wink: ) close the settings window
To set the write speed put a blank media that you are going to use in the drive and click on the Write files/folders to disc button -> top right now at the bottom make sure that your drive/burner is shown in the dropdown window for the target, then click on the device tab upper right now at the bottom right you’ll see three buttons click on the top one there you can set the write speed for the MID that is shown on the bottom left side…if you have two burners you can set each burner to write at different speeds for that MID, comes in handy if one burner works better with that MID once the burn speed is set no matter what brand you use if it has the same MID ImgBurn will see the MID and burn it at the speed you have set for it :wink:
thats what makes ImgBurn so Great

MID = Media ID.
It is a much more specific, method to refer to blank media.
Typically, referring to brand names is not very useful.
The MID will be displayed in your burn log or with any number of utilities such as nero cd-dvd speed.

I agree with SJ, my preference is Img as well.
If you decide to use Img, please make the following change:

[B]tools > settings > build > don’t prompt image details[/B].

This will allow for seamless burning of SL discs. You’ll still see the Img window pop up, but it won’t require any action from you.

For DL burns, you will still have to select a layer break location (Img will provide selections), unless you previously had Img create a .MDS file which contains the LB location

Ahhh…there you are SJ…:cool:…didn’t see you in time.
Stuck at work…:sad:… and grabbing a minute here and there.

imgburn and dvdfab

http://www.youtube.com/user/dvdfabtroy

OK,
I’ve done what most have recommended…DVDfab w/ImgBurn. Most likely I will be purchasing DVDfab as it works)plays) well with others:D.

I setup DVDFab w/PathPlayer “Always enable”, and to use ImgBurn which I set to “don’t prompt image details” and things were cruising right along. Great, a perfect plan. However, burning at MAX (16x Verbatims) came up with a msg about the buffers (sorry I don’t get all the info to attach, yet) and the speed dropped down about 50% thru the burn to 4x and finished that way. So I lowered my MID speed to 12x and it did it again but my 3rd bkup with this setting went fine. Anyway, I lowered the MID speed 10x for the heck of it and the 4th burn about 70% thru had msgs again about the buffers and dropped to 4x speed to finish the burn. All 4 burns completed fine and I assume will play fine (I tried a couple for a few minutes and all looks good). Just one more things to overcome or figure out. But I’m getting there…

[quote=PCat;2218952]OK,
I’ve done what most have recommended…DVDfab w/ImgBurn. Most likely I will be purchasing DVDfab as it works)plays) well with others:D.

I setup DVDFab w/PathPlayer “Always enable”, and to use ImgBurn which I set to “don’t prompt image details” and things were cruising right along. Great, a perfect plan. However, burning at MAX (16x Verbatims) came up with a msg about the buffers (sorry I don’t get all the info to attach, yet) and the speed dropped down about 50% thru the burn to 4x and finished that way. So I lowered my MID speed to 12x and it did it again but my 3rd bkup with this setting went fine. Anyway, I lowered the MID speed 10x for the heck of it and the 4th burn about 70% thru had msgs again about the buffers and dropped to 4x speed to finish the burn. All 4 burns completed fine and I assume will play fine (I tried a couple for a few minutes and all looks good). Just one more things to overcome or figure out. But I’m getting there…[/quote]
I believe I said something about setting the write/burn speed within ImgBurn for the MID that you will be using before starting the backup with DVDFab :smiley: guess you must have over looked that reply :confused:

Actually, your suggestion about setting the MID speed was what led me to try that, thanks again. I guess I need to just keep trying different speeds until all goes well, although, like I said, other than the burner slowing down and finishing that way the burns appear to complete fine. I assume some brand disks or burners could have more prblms at higher speeds and cause failures, coasters.
I guess I was just curious of 2 things:
Setting the MID speed is better than lowering the burner speed? I assume if I use different disks the MID speed would be set to max unless I change those too?
Lastly, why make 18x DVD burners and 16x speed disks if they can’t burn that fast?

[QUOTE=PCat;2219530]Actually, your suggestion about setting the MID speed was what led me to try that, thanks again. I guess I need to just keep trying different speeds until all goes well, although, like I said, other than the burner slowing down and finishing that way the burns appear to complete fine. I assume some brand disks or burners could have more prblms at higher speeds and cause failures, coasters.
I guess I was just curious of 2 things:
Setting the MID speed is better than lowering the burner speed? I assume if I use different disks the MID speed would be set to max unless I change those too?
[B]Lastly, why make 18x DVD burners and 16x speed disks if they can’t burn that fast?[B/][/QUOTE]

For the same reason they make cars and tires that will go in excess of 100 mph… they both can, but for a variety of reasons, it’s not a good idea to most of the time.

The reason for cars should be obvious (if not, try driving through a school zone or past a cop shop in excess of 100 mph and you’ff quickly find out what I mean).

The same thing with burners… go ahead and burn at 16X or whatever the media will support, just don’t expect to be pleased with the results.

I don’t know how many different types of media you have lying around, but it’s a good idea, if you’re going to use Imgburn, to set them all up, so you don’t have to worry about it later. I usually set at half the max speed, and my burns so far are flawless.

O’C

:slight_smile: