DVDFab vs BD_Rebuilder

vbimport

When copying/compressing a Blu-ray DL movie onto a Blu-ray SL does anyone know which of these 2 products produce the best quality?

[QUOTE=servtrkr;2527721]When copying/compressing a Blu-ray DL movie onto a Blu-ray SL does anyone know which of these 2 products produce the best quality?[/QUOTE]

BD-Rebuilder.

They both end up with the same format but DVDFab is geared for speed and BD-Rebuilder is geared for quality.

[B]Wombler[/B]

I haven’t tried DVDFab for this. BD-Rebuilder has a lot of variations in the type of encoding you can do with it. If you use the [B]automatic quality[/B] setting, it will often times choose a fast encode with ABR one pass encoding when reducing to fit a 25gb disk.

If you set the encoding mode yourself, and don’t choose one of the one pass options, it will automatically use a two pass encode, which will produce the highest possible quality at the cost of time spent doing it.

So in your opinion if I watched the same movie side by side where one was created using DVDFab and the other BD_Rebuilder, the one created with BD-Rebuilder would be better?

As an aside, I just made a backup of Man on Fire using DVDFab (compressing to fit a SL disc) and it took almost 7-8 hours which I think is about BD-Rebuilder would take.

Depending on the individual movie and the type of encoding selected, you might not notice any difference between the output from the two programs. Movies that require a lot of compression, and/or have a lot of action would benefit the most from the 2 pass encoding done by BD Rebuilder.

Speed of encoding depends quite a lot on the speed of your cpu and the number of cores available in the cpu. I’ve done backups to single layer BD-R, 25gb disks that took 10 1/2 hours using BD Rebuilder on two pass VBR encoding. That was on a quad core Intel processor, a Q9550 running overclocked to 3.4ghz. I also had 8gb ram, two 7200 rpm hdd’s and used one drive for input the second for output.

Another movie that required little compression, I did with one pass ABR encoding and it took ~6 1/2 hrs to compress to fit a blank 25gb disk.