DVDFab v. 5.3.0.0 BETA

I have downloaded and tested this version on my system, and for what I do, it performs well… Thank you, Fengtao for another good job!

As usual, I do have a couple of questions.

A few weeks ago, when we seemed to be getting nothing but VSO Engine problems, in an attempt to help me keep my own foot out of my mouth, I contacted VSO Software, and traded several e-mails with Mr. Fabrice Meuwissen, the Exective Manager of VSO. It was, to say the least, an eye opening experience.

In this release, Fengtao again references an ‘Updated Burning Engine’, as he did in ver. 5.3.3.0 and 5.2.2.5.

According to Mr. Meuwissen, the only update VSO has provided Fengtao with in the .dll, is with the addition of, in his words, ‘the blue ray stuff’, which I suspect was added some time ago, when the blue ray was first added to DVDFab.

I’ve checked the VSO site, but all they advertise are their complete packages, so any updates there won’t necessarily reflect what might be done the the Fab package.

First question: Does anyone know just what issues have been addressed and/or what features have been added/modified by these ‘updates’ that are being reported?

Second. I have installed on my system a utility called febooti file tweak hex editor, which I find useful in perusing individual files sometimes. The other day, I decided to take a look at the VSO file that is Fab’s burning engine.

Another surprise - right at the beginning of the file is a text message: “This program must be run in Windows 32”.

Next question: Might this be a source of problems for some of those we try to help when using the VSO engine? I know it’s not a problem for me, but I’m running Windows in 32 bit mode. There would have to be at least some timing errors trying to run a 32 bit application in a 64 bit environment.

Third. Among the problems we face are people complaining about the verification and failure to complete (or other) problems with it. I know I was on the bandwagon early to suggest people move to Imgburn.

Well imagine my surprise when I learned that VSO didn’t include any verification routines in the package that Fengtao got. Either he got them from another VSO product, or another program altogether, or wrote them himself.

I know we are all quick to blame the VSO engine for a variety of problems, but maybe we should give it a bit of a break, and look elsewhere for the problems.

P.S. I got the same Feb 25 expiry date for the new adds to Ver. 5.3.0.0. I don’t know if I can get out fast enough to get a new drive, buy some new discs (blank and store-bought movies) to test that part of the program in the next 8 hours… I hope there’s a patch or something issued to give users the full 30 days advertised. I know the screaming on the forum is going to be loud and long!!

O’C

:slight_smile:

VSO burning engine supports BD burning a few versions back and there have been minor fixes then. I don’t know what version is the VSO burning engine in DvdFabPlat 5.3.0.0 because I don’t want to install it b/c of the trial period bug for BD. Check the file version for vso_hwe.dll.

P.S. I got the same Feb 25 expiry date for the new adds to Ver. 5.3.0.0. I don’t know if I can get out fast enough to get a new drive, buy some new discs (blank and store-bought movies) to test that part of the program in the next 8 hours… I hope there’s a patch or something issued to give users the full 30 days advertised. I know the screaming on the forum is going to be loud and long!!

Fengtao addresed this and fixed the download,Please re download and it will show the full 30 days.

You also might want to read some of the other threads discussing these issues.