DVDFab uninstall removes pcouffin

I was just curious about this & thought someone might know the answer.
DVDFab uninstall removes the VSO devices/ pcouffin device for 32 bits systems from Device Manager.
This would be OK if DVDFab was the only software that used pcouffin or was thst software that installed it.
I already had pcouffin installed from VSO software I already had.
I have reinstalled the latest DVDFab 6 which I intended to do any way .
This put the VSO back in Device Manager.
Still a software shouldn’t uninstall what it didn’t install.
If DVDFab overwrote what I had it should have replaced the old files it overwrote when uninstalled.

[QUOTE=cholla;2302823]I was just curious about this & thought someone might know the answer.
DVDFab uninstall removes the VSO devices/ pcouffin device for 32 bits systems from Device Manager.
This would be OK if DVDFab was the only software that used pcouffin or was thst software that installed it.
I already had pcouffin installed from VSO software I already had.
I have reinstalled the latest DVDFab 6 which I intended to do any way .
This put the VSO back in Device Manager.
Still a software shouldn’t uninstall what it didn’t install.
If DVDFab overwrote what I had it should have replaced the old files it overwrote when uninstalled.[/QUOTE]

Hey cholla
When ever I uninstall DVDFab the VSO burn engine is always left on my system which is why it is in the clean uninstall guide below :slight_smile:

dvdfab does in fact remove the driver even when dvdfab does not install the driver. dvdfab does not remove all files nor does using CleanVSO.exe or the remove commands from a DOS prompt.

this can be easily tested by uninstalling VSO and dvdfab and deleting the files and reg keys, then install the pcouffin driver with the free VSO Inspector. check the PCSetup.log this will show

7/4/2009 1:01:05 PM	info	******************** Report session closed *********************
7/4/2009 1:01:05 PM	info	Report: [SUCCESS: Install OK without reboot]
7/4/2009 1:01:05 PM	info	Driver installed. No reboot required
7/4/2009 1:01:02 PM	info	No driver has been found on the system. Trying to install new driver
7/4/2009 1:01:02 PM	info	Installing patin-couffin driver
7/4/2009 1:01:02 PM	info	ParamStr 1 = "/install2"
7/4/2009 1:01:02 PM	info	ParamStr 0 = "C:\Program Files\vso\pcsetup\PcSetup.exe"
7/4/2009 1:01:02 PM	info	User default language : 1033 (0x0409h) - English (United States)
7/4/2009 1:01:02 PM	info	System default language : 1033 (0x0409h) - English (United States)
7/4/2009 1:01:02 PM	info	Version 1.37.0.94
7/4/2009 1:01:01 PM	info	ExeName : "C:\Program Files\vso\pcsetup\PcSetup.exe"
7/4/2009 1:01:01 PM	info	OS : Microsoft Windows XP Personal Service Pack 3 (Build 2600)
7/4/2009 1:01:01 PM	info	******************** Report session started ********************

then reinstall dvdfab and not selecting to install VSO drivers.

check the pcsetup log ExeName : “C:\Program Files\vso\pcsetup\PcSetup.exe”

then uninstall dvdfab and the log will show

7/4/2009 1:04:58 PM	info	******************** Report session closed *********************
7/4/2009 1:04:58 PM	info	Report: [SUCCESS: Remove OK without reboot]
7/4/2009 1:04:58 PM	info	Driver removed. No reboot required
7/4/2009 1:04:57 PM	info	Removing patin-couffin driver
7/4/2009 1:04:57 PM	info	ParamStr 1 = "/remove2"
7/4/2009 1:04:57 PM	info	ParamStr 0 = "C:\Program Files\DVDFab 6\PCSetup.exe"
7/4/2009 1:04:57 PM	info	User default language : 1033 (0x0409h) - English (United States)
7/4/2009 1:04:57 PM	info	System default language : 1033 (0x0409h) - English (United States)
7/4/2009 1:04:57 PM	info	Version 1.37.0.94
7/4/2009 1:04:57 PM	info	ExeName : "C:\Program Files\DVDFab 6\PCSetup.exe"
7/4/2009 1:04:57 PM	info	OS : Microsoft Windows XP Personal Service Pack 3 (Build 2600)
7/4/2009 1:04:57 PM	info	******************** Report session started ********************

even when you select to install VSO drivers with dvdfab install the pcsetup log shows the drivers where already installed

7/4/2009 1:07:41 PM	info	******************** Report session closed *********************
7/4/2009 1:07:41 PM	info	The driver binaries seems to be present at their correct location
7/4/2009 1:07:41 PM	info	Driver is up to date. No install is attempted.
7/4/2009 1:07:41 PM	info	embedded driver revision : 37
7/4/2009 1:07:40 PM	info	A driver has been found on the system. Internal revision 37
7/4/2009 1:07:40 PM	info	Installing patin-couffin driver
7/4/2009 1:07:40 PM	info	ParamStr 1 = "/install2"
7/4/2009 1:07:40 PM	info	ParamStr 0 = "C:\Program Files\DVDFab 6\PCSetup.exe"
7/4/2009 1:07:40 PM	info	User default language : 1033 (0x0409h) - English (United States)
7/4/2009 1:07:40 PM	info	System default language : 1033 (0x0409h) - English (United States)
7/4/2009 1:07:40 PM	info	Version 1.37.0.94
7/4/2009 1:07:40 PM	info	ExeName : "C:\Program Files\DVDFab 6\PCSetup.exe"
7/4/2009 1:07:40 PM	info	OS : Microsoft Windows XP Personal Service Pack 3 (Build 2600)
7/4/2009 1:07:40 PM	info	******************** Report session started ********************

i do agree that something could be easily checking the log to see if dvdfab infact installed the drivers, besides its all there.

hmmmm maybe its just my systems then because I have uninstalled DVDFab countless times and it has never uninstalled the pcouffin driver on its own :confused: oh well what ever works I guess :bigsmile:

Thanks for the extra effort troy512.I.Glad to see it wasn’t just my OS or something I was doing wrong. haven’t used CleanVSO.exe or tried to remove VSO with command prompt
As far as I can tell the VSO pcouffin has never caused me any problems.

Hi StormJumper;
I tried the clean uninstall method for DVDFab installed on Vista.I figure this could give a clean install after anyway.
I used the DVDFab uninstall available in the Programs list.
I checked the Device Manager & the VSO devices/ pcouffin device for 32 bits systems is already removed at this point.
Here is where I found some differences from the instructions:
#7.No DVDFab or PCSETUP.exe in Prefetch folder
#8. I used CCleaner /Registry mode/Scan for issues for this. Rebooted . Then NT Registry Optimizer Rebooted again .
#9. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE >> Software no folder to delete
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT no folder to delete
HKEY_USERS no folders to delete

After the new install:
Still no DVDFab or PCSETUP.exe in Prefetch folder.
After the new install DVDFab key is now in :
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\DVDFab key & subkey V6
HKEY_USERS\account/accounts which are the longest set of numbers\Software\DVDFab
It has a V6 subkey with DVD & Generic subkeys.
HKEY_CURRENT USER >> Software has the same keys as HKEY_USERS
I now have these additional registry keys in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT:
.DVDFab6
.DVDFabBluRay2Bluray
.DVDFabDVD2DVD
.DVDFabDVD2Mobile
.DVDFabFile2Mobile
.DVDFabFileMover
& a second set of keys same names without the period for a file extension name.
I did the clean uninstall a second time.
Using the Programs /DVDFab6/uninstall
I checked the Device Manager & the VSO devices/ pcouffin device for 32 bits systems is already removed at this point.
Ran CCleaner as first time.I didn’t run the optimizer yet.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE still no DVDFab key
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\DVDFab I deleted this key that wasn’t there the first time.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT no folder to delete
HKEY_USERS no folders to delete.
I guess CCleaner did a good job.
I did the second fresh install here.
I’m now running a test rip & it seems to be doing fine.
Completed with movie ripped .The VIDEO_TS folder played in VLC.I already have a BU of this movie so I won’t burn it again.I have no reason to beleive it wouldn’t burn correctly.
Now if I could just figure out why the Roxio Easy VHStoDVD won’t complete its install I would have everything working for now anyway.But that’s another topic.

The Roxio Easy VHStoDVD is the reason I found out uninstalling DVDFab removed the pcouffin.I thought DVDFab might have a conflict with the Roxio Easy VHStoDVD .
When I uninstalled DVDFab I was checking out some things before attempting to install Roxio Easy VHStoDVD again.That’s when I saw thw VSO was missing from Device Manager.
Apparently there was no conflict with DVDFab because the Roxio Easy VHStoDVD still went into rollback before completion.

[QUOTE=cholla;2302900]Hi StormJumper;
I tried the clean uninstall method for DVDFab installed on Vista.I figure this could give a clean install after anyway.
I used the DVDFab uninstall available in the Programs list.
.[/QUOTE]

maybe the uninstaller has been improvedsince the guides was updated guess I’ll have to do some checking to see if I don’t need the guides in my sig anymore :cool: they have came in handy in past :bigsmile:

@StormJumper; It does remove the VSO pcouffin now but if you look at the differences I noted in my posts .I got a more complete install after doing the clean uninstall guide for Vista in your sig.
So I think it is still helpful.Maybe just a small update in the topic linked to.

your guide does remove more than the uninstaller. :iagree:

the uninstaller does remove the pcouffin driver, but not all the pcouffin files or registry keys

fabrice from VSO support says there is method for the pcouffin driver to remain after dvdfab uninstall, when dvdfab did not perform the pcouffin driver install. fengtao just needs to use the correct command line during the uninstall process.

also says that even without pcouffin driver, the burning sdk can work too.