DVDFab trial as not Admin in windows 2000

Recently downloaded current version of DVDFab Platinum (4.0.3.0).

Ran fine on my old Windows 2000 professional machine when I was logged in as an administrator, however my normal user accounts do not have administrator privileges.

When running DVDfab from a normal user account it didn’t recognise any disc in the DVD rom drive. Similarly no files were visible when navigating to the DVD drive (only directory structure was visible). Giving all users full rights to the DVDfab program directory didn’t resolve the problem.

Is this normal? Do I really need to always run DVDFab from an administrator account? If not is there a work around?

Yes you need to be the administrator logged in, welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the quick response.
Is there anyway around this, for example

Does DVDfab run as an ordinary user after you register (Buy) it on windows 2000?

Does it run as a non-administrator at all on Windows XP professional?

The reason I ask is as if I can’t get it to run as a normal user, I will unfortunately have to find a product that can.

Edit:
I suspect it need the equivalent of “Nero BurnRights” to get low level access to the DVD.
Does a “DVDfab BurnRights” control panel exist?

[quote=patch2;1964758]
Does a “DVDfab BurnRights” control panel exist?[/quote]

Tried Nero BurnRight
Got much closer to working. Can now read DVD :slight_smile: but crashes then start to RIP :frowning:

Perhaps a new version maybe fully compatible :iagree:

Hi,

there is something similar to Nero Burn Rights:
http://www.cheetahburner.com/CheetahDVDBurner2/security.html
maybe this works for you.

:iagree: I agree with your opinion, not to use application software that needs admin permissions :eek:.

I found this thread and wanted to post what worked for me.

Apparently the program creates a DVD Fab folder in the My Documents folder during installation. This was apparently to fix the 300 error code http://club.cdfreaks.com/f116/error-300-admin-privs-204375/.

Since I installed the program as an Admin, the Admin My Documents account received the required DVD Fab folder & files. The User account I was having access issues with didn’t have permission to access the Admin My Docs folder.

To fix, I simply copied the entire DVD Fab folder to the User’s My Document’s folder.

[QUOTE=patch2;1964408]When running DVDfab from a normal user account it didn’t recognise any disc in the DVD rom drive. Similarly no files were visible when navigating to the DVD drive (only directory structure was visible). Giving all users full rights to the DVDfab program directory didn’t resolve the problem.[/QUOTE]

tried it and experience the same. havent tried to find a work around yet but will post back if i do.

troy

Addition to my post above:

The registry also needs modified for User access to DVD drive in DVDFab:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWSNT\CURRENTVERSION\WINLOGON
allocateCDRoms = 1

This works on W2k & WinXP Pro (I’m not sure of any others).

I forgot about this step until I setup my XP machine.
Both machines use a SATA DVD drive so I don’t know if it will work on a IDE drive.

I wonder if this has something to do with the User access rights to SPTI. This is the same fix I needed for another backup program.