DVDFab sub problems

I am currently running DVDFab 5.2.2.2 which I believe is the current version, I have had no problems ripping my DVD collection to avi’s except for 1 (Vantage Point) I have an English version of the DVD and want to create an avi with only the forced subtitles the same as it plays from the DVD in a DVD player. The problem I have is that I can rip it to an avi with no subs (No Problem) but when I select of the english subs (and yes I have tried them all) they play for the entire movie (all I want is the forced subs for the foreign languages spoken a couple of times through the movie). Has anyone had any success with this program and this DVD?

Any help would be appreciated
Bolters :confused:

Moved to DVD Fab forum.

[QUOTE=bolters;2192290]I am currently running DVDFab 5.2.2.2 which I believe is the current version, I have had no problems ripping my DVD collection to avi’s except for 1 (Vantage Point) I have an English version of the DVD and want to create an avi with only the forced subtitles the same as it plays from the DVD in a DVD player. The problem I have is that I can rip it to an avi with no subs (No Problem) but when I select of the english subs (and yes I have tried them all) they play for the entire movie (all I want is the forced subs for the foreign languages spoken a couple of times through the movie). Has anyone had any success with this program and this DVD?

Any help would be appreciated
Bolters :confused:[/QUOTE]

RE your first comment: It isn’t, but you’re close enough.

You can help me answer you with your question.

I am assuming that you are ripping the Main Movie before you start your conversion to .avi.

In the substreams list just under the audio tracks list of the Main Movie screen will show all instances of subtitle streams the program can detect.
The language is shown right beside each stream.

For the movie in question, how many streams are in English?

(I’ve been trying to find my copy of The Hunt For Red October, as it has a similar thing happen - subtitles while Connery and the others speak Russian, then none when the audio switches to English) but someone has borrowed it, and I can’t find it to check for myself.

Please advise.

O’C

:slight_smile:

Thanks for your reply.
I am using the DVDFab Mobile section, therefor I am going directly from the DVD to the avi. Should I go a different route using DVDFab? If I do, it seems a bit long winded considering that DVDFab is supposed to be able to go directly fron DVD to AVI.

Thanks

[QUOTE=bolters;2192944]Thanks for your reply.
I am using the DVDFab Mobile section, therefor I am going directly from the DVD to the avi. Should I go a different route using DVDFab? If I do, it seems a bit long winded considering that DVDFab is supposed to be able to go directly fron DVD to AVI.

Thanks[/QUOTE]

Please understand, I don’t use mobile at all, so I won’t be much use to you there, but this is another type of problem.

Whether you go direct to avi, or take the long route, you’re still going to have to make some choices (i think), and if not, to achieve what you’re after, you may have to take the long route to get there.

My question from the previous post still stands.

(you can get this info by selecting main movie in DVD to DVD mode - the info will come up, and you don’t have to do anything with it…yet…)

O’C

Thanks for your reply O’Canada,

I have download a program called SubResync, if I add the subtitles (IDX/SUB) file that DVDFab created into it, it tells me that there is forced subtitles in there. I thought, that by ticking the ‘Display only forced subpicture’ button I would only get the forced subs from the subpicture stream I picked. But I end up getting the entire subs from that stream. What is the ‘Display only forced subpicture’ button supposed to do? to me it looks like it does nothing. Looking in the IDX file that it creates, it says that you change the word OFF to ON to display only forced subs, but that doesn’t seem to work either. Great program if that button was to work the way I thought it.

Any ideas?
Bolters :confused:

[QUOTE=bolters;2192944]Thanks for your reply.

Thanks[/QUOTE]

If I read your post correctly, I think you’re missing my point.

One of the substreams on the DVD may be the one you are looking for… all I was asking was for you to tell me which ones were on the DVD, which can be determined very easily by setting up as if you were going to do that DVD, and before you actually start, check the substream listing in DVDFab after the program opens the DVD, and please report what’s there.

Please advise.

O’C

The button is suposed to work exactly the way you hoped it would, but the sub must have a forced start command in the stream you select for it to function properly (sounds like it does and the Display Only function may be broken). Which device/profile are you using for the conversion? Is this a Region 1 copy of Vantage Point?

O’C: My copy of Red October (R1, Special Collector’s Edition) does not have any forced subs. The Russian->English ones are digitally or optically printed into the transfer. I am looking for my copy of Vantage Point. As my wife points out, my collection is too big and disorganized.

[quote=bolters;2194646]Thanks for your reply O’Canada,

I have download a program called SubResync, if I add the subtitles (IDX/SUB) file that DVDFab created into it, it tells me that there is forced subtitles in there. I thought, that by ticking the ‘Display only forced subpicture’ button I would only get the forced subs from the subpicture stream I picked. But I end up getting the entire subs from that stream. What is the ‘Display only forced subpicture’ button supposed to do? to me it looks like it does nothing. Looking in the IDX file that it creates, it says that you change the word OFF to ON to display only forced subs, but that doesn’t seem to work either. Great program if that button was to work the way I thought it.

Any ideas?
Bolters :confused:[/quote]

[QUOTE=bolters;2194646]Thanks for your reply O’Canada,

Any ideas?
Bolters :confused:[/QUOTE]

I found my copy of The Hunt For Red October, and have checked it out.

You won’t like my answer, however.

‘The Hunt’ had 3 substreams listed: 1.) English, 2.) Spanish, 3.) Undefined.

Undefined turned out to be the French subtitles, all of which display throughout the film.

The short answer is that what you want to do can’t be done.

There is either another mechanism at work, or there is something in the DVD specs that allow this to be done, and it’s not being checked for by any copying program I have. They all report the normal audio, video and subtitle substreams, but to pick off this option requires something extra to be found and reported and utilized by the copying program.

Maybe a good candidate for the ‘Added Features’ list?!!?

O’C

The “Display only forced” checkbox still works fine, at least with the generic MP4.h264.aac profile. I found my copy of Vantage Point, which has forced subs (unlike Red October) beginning in chapter 9 when Enrique talks with the female guard at the metal detector (Spanish->English). The rest of the subs (English->English) do not display if the box is checked. See captures below.

I am using the generic MKV.h264.audio copy profile and find that when I select a subtitle stream and then convert it, when I play the file I only get the first sentence and then all the rest of the subs are dropped (are not there). Do you have any clues?. I have tried this with other DVD’s and I get the same result. I am only using the 1 pass function as I found out that if I use the 2 pass function I get no subs at all. Am I doing something wrong, it’s a great program and I would be absolutely over the moon if I could get my subs to work correctly.

I have never used that profile but I will try it and see what it does for me. Do you need the mkv file type for a specific player? Have you tried AVI or MP4?

The subs worked OK for me (see attached) but there seems to be something slightly broken with the mkv filetype. When played with VLC, the location slider jumps back and forth which has been attributed to muxing issues in the past. The video and audio (and rendered subs) are fine though. I did have some trouble with the subs when beginning the conversion anywhere except at the start of the movie, but it may be my content. Also, sometimes subs don’t render well (or at all) at very large screen resolutions. I did my test at 480x272.

Thanks for the reply Signals, your post was very enlightening. After reading it, I thought I would try my DVD again but this time drop the screen resolution.
BINGO, you have solved my problem. I now have subtitles!

Thanks to you and everyone else that tried to solve my dilemma.

Bolters :clap::smiley:

Glad it worked for you. Don’t know why they don’t render correctly with large screens, which many people use, but this is a long standing problem in many profiles. May be a law of pixel physics thing.