DVDFab Stop working

[QUOTE=Rexx72;2196564]I’m having similar problems …

DVDFab was working fine this morning, now all of a sudden it won’t burn. Ripping still works fine, it just won’t burn. I spotted that a new version is out (5.2.3.0). Just finished downloading, installing and registering, with no luck still the same problem.

Edit Tried burning on both my Laptops internal drive and my external one[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=StormJumper;2196572]We are still working with Capt on his problem, please wait until we have resolved his issue…his and yours may or may not be related so you can keep track of this thread or start your own. :cool:

BTW … Welcome to CD Freaks :flower:[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the welcome.

As per instructions … here’s my shiny new thread :slight_smile: cos I have more than one issue.

<< to beginning.

I install DVDFab 2.2.2.6 Beta a couple of days ago and was so impress with it’s easy of use, I bought DVDFab Platinum it the same day.

I’ve been happily backing up All my “Lost” season’s since then. Done Season 4 busy with Season 1 atm. I’m looking to protect my investment so I want 100% quality, therefor I’ve been using the "Split and “Custom Split” options to back them up to DVD-5’s.

My hassles
1) VSO burn engine
i) Always fails to “Verify” disks. [INDENT]Task_3 failed! Error=100[/INDENT]
ii) Ignores “Do not eject Disk after burning” option.

I’ve been working around i) + ii) by using Nero. As perfect disks are important to me. So “Verification” is essential. Ignoring the “eject” option is really irritating using the Laptops internal burner, as the drive won’t close automatically.

2) DVDFab won’t burn my backups
After Selecting the “Write Data” option and then selecting the source, nothing happens. (i.e. it doesn’t read the source and the dropdown menu is not updated)

This happened suddenly as I had been using DVDFab all day to “rip and burn” and have successfully used it on 20+ disks already. I then fiddled with various things, restart app, restarted system, left PC off to cool down, Tried different burner, tried previously burned files, etc.

Did a clean install, a la StormJumper’s Guides. DMA is fine. Upgaded to 5.2.3. Downgraded to 5.2.2.2. All with no diferrence.

Tried to use Nero Express to burn the disk … this failed with a “DVD-Video files reallocation failed” error.

:eek: So now what?

I’m wondering if my previous hassles with the VSO engine have something to do with my current problems. Any help will be appreciated.

Hardware: Asus F5 Laptop, T5450 Core2Duo, 2GB Ram, 160 Gb HDD, ATI Radeon x1100, DVD-RAM. Sony 16x DVD-R’s (Media ID: SONY16D1). Also using LG GE20LU10 DVD-RAM (USB)
Software Used:

WinXP SP2.5.1
Nero Express (pre-installed version 7.9.6.2)
DVDFab 5.2.2.2, 5.2.2.6(Beta), 5.2.3.0 All with the same results.
Settings which may be pertinent.
Write Speed: 4x (Always)
Verify Disks: Ticked
PathFinder: Always on

Have used StormJumper’s Guides between installs;
Guide: Clean uninstall of DVDFab Platinum/Gold on XP
Checking DMA status & reset if necessary

[QUOTE=Rexx72;2196697]Thanks for the welcome.

As per instructions … here’s my shiny new thread :slight_smile: cos I have more than one issue.

<< to beginning.

I install DVDFab 2.2.2.6 Beta a couple of days ago and was so impress with it’s easy of use, I bought DVDFab Platinum it the same day.

I’ve been happily backing up All my “Lost” season’s since then. Done Season 4 busy with Season 1 atm. I’m looking to protect my investment so I want 100% quality, therefor I’ve been using the "Split and “Custom Split” options to back them up to DVD-5’s.

My hassles
[B]1) [/B]VSO burn engine
i) Always fails to “Verify” disks. [INDENT][I]Task_3 failed! Error=100[/I][/INDENT]
ii) Ignores “Do not eject Disk after burning” option.

I’ve been working around i) + ii) by using Nero. As perfect disks are important to me. So “Verification” is essential. Ignoring the “eject” option is really irritating using the Laptops internal burner, as the drive won’t close automatically.

[B]2) [/B] DVDFab won’t burn my backups
After Selecting the “Write Data” option and then selecting the source, nothing happens. (i.e. it doesn’t read the source and the dropdown menu is not updated)

This happened suddenly as I had been using DVDFab all day to “rip and burn” and have successfully used it on 20+ disks already. I then fiddled with various things, restart app, restarted system, left PC off to cool down, Tried different burner, tried previously burned files, etc.

Did a clean install, a la StormJumper’s Guides. DMA is fine. Upgaded to 5.2.3. Downgraded to 5.2.2.2. All with no diferrence.

Tried to use Nero Express to burn the disk … this failed with a “DVD-Video files reallocation failed” error.

:eek: So now what?

I’m wondering if my previous hassles with the VSO engine have something to do with my current problems. Any help will be appreciated.

Hardware: Asus F5 Laptop, T5450 Core2Duo, 2GB Ram, 160 Gb HDD, ATI Radeon x1100, DVD-RAM. Sony 16x DVD-R’s (Media ID: SONY16D1). Also using LG GE20LU10 DVD-RAM (USB)
Software Used:

WinXP SP2.5.1
Nero Express (pre-installed version 7.9.6.2)
DVDFab 5.2.2.2, 5.2.2.6(Beta), 5.2.3.0 All with the same results.
Settings which may be pertinent.
Write Speed: 4x (Always)
Verify Disks: Ticked
PathFinder: Always on

Have used StormJumper’s Guides between installs;
Guide: Clean uninstall of DVDFab Platinum/Gold on XP
Checking DMA status & reset if necessary[/QUOTE]

Despite your rather long thread starter, I’m including it all, as I expect I’ll be touching on various parts of it as I go.

Media - Sony - no problem there.
Write Speed - 4X - Good there, too.
Verification after Burn:
I usually don’t make too many comments to people who do this, as it seems to keep them happy, and it doesn’t harm anything.

However, you seem to place a lot of stock in this feature, and I keep asking myself, “Why”?

When a disc is being burned, whatever engine you use, each sector, as it is written, is verified before the next sector is started. If your burning engine hasn’t kicked out with a write error before the end of the burn, then the subsequent verify isn’t going to tell you anything you don’t already know. In other words, Clean Burn=Clean Verify.
On the other hand, if you’ve burned a disk too fast (not a problem in your case), anything from pixelation to a complete freeze can occur, and that won’t be caught by the verification process.
As many here do, I use my eyes to watch the disk after a burn, and if there are any problems, I tune down some of the settings, and re-burn. (Yes, verification won’t fix any problems, either).

Since the VSO engine seems to be failing on the verification pass (Task 3 - Failed Error=100), I’m not surprised that the drive door isn’t staying closed, either. The problem with VSO is a suspected bug, but as the program isn’t written by or updated by the DVDFab authors, all we can do is bug VSO software, and hope they fix it.

Your other problem: may be a corrupt write to your HD, which is why Fab is not updating when you try to access it.
Check it with Windows Explorer and see if that program will list the file. That, however, won’t prove much. According to your notes, Nero file reallocation failed when you tried it, which causes me to think it’s a HD error. (as well as Fab not reading it at all).
There may be a bad sector on your HD that’s not mapped into the HD table, and the only way to fix that is to re-format and start again (unless someone here knows a utility that will update the HD Table).

I also noticed you’ve got an ATI card in your system. Were all the utilities on the ATI supplied disk loaded on your computer? If so, you may want to consider getting rid of all of it except the drivers, as I had problems with some software as long as those utilities were on my system.

Not much in the way of solutions here, except forget the verification, and see if you can find anything that’ll confirm a corrupt file for you.

O’C

:slight_smile:

Thanks for your input :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=O’Canada;2196732]
However, you seem to place a lot of stock in this feature, and I keep asking myself, “Why”?

When a disc is being burned, whatever engine you use, each sector, as it is written, is verified before the next sector is started. If your burning engine hasn’t kicked out with a write error before the end of the burn, then the subsequent verify isn’t going to tell you anything you don’t already know. In other words, Clean Burn=Clean Verify.
On the other hand, if you’ve burned a disk too fast (not a problem in your case), anything from pixelation to a complete freeze can occur, and that won’t be caught by the verification process.
As many here do, I use my eyes to watch the disk after a burn, and if there are any problems, I tune down some of the settings, and re-burn. (Yes, verification won’t fix any problems, either).[/QUOTE]

I’ve been Burning disks since about 1998 with a fancy new 4x CD Writer, and back then I had a number of Disks that burnt fine but if fact had multiply errors. Since then I haven’t trusted a disk that hasn’t been verified. And I always burn at max 24x for Cd’s and 4x for DVD’s

I’ve notice this happening, every now and then, that a disk will burn fine but fail a verification.

This recently happened again when a PC Techie burnt a driver disk for me (without verification), I got it home and it was corrupt. The 2nd one he produced from the same source files, worked fine.

So in my experience “Verification” is an important step in the burn process. And has save me a lot of time in the long run.

Not being an expert though I be interested in reading more about why it shouldn’t happen in order to try tracing the case. (maybe the burners, mostly samsung around here)

[QUOTE=O’Canada;2196732]Since the VSO engine seems to be failing on the verification pass (Task 3 - Failed Error=100), I’m not surprised that the drive door isn’t staying closed, either. The problem with VSO is a suspected bug, but as the program isn’t written by or updated by the DVDFab authors, all we can do is bug VSO software, and hope they fix it.[/QUOTE]

The Verification fails with the setting on or off (External Drive included, which can close it’s tray) :frowning:
VSO doesn’t seem to wait long enough to actually read the disk. The tray closes and it fails almost instantly.

Is there somewhere I can “bug” them about it?

[QUOTE=O’Canada;2196732]Your other problem: may be a corrupt write to your HD, which is why Fab is not updating when you try to access it.
Check it with Windows Explorer and see if that program will list the file. That, however, won’t prove much. According to your notes, Nero file reallocation failed when you tried it, which causes me to think it’s a HD error. (as well as Fab not reading it at all).
There may be a bad sector on your HD that’s not mapped into the HD table, and the only way to fix that is to re-format and start again (unless someone here knows a utility that will update the HD Table).[/QUOTE]

At this point I’ll try anything :slight_smile: that and the fact that I’m ripping to my D:\ which is purely a temp data partition, so no biggy to format.
I doubt it’s the problem though as I’m ripping about 6 DVD at a time and then burning. So the HD errors would have to be all over the drive, and none of the rips will load.

Update
Got VSO to burn but nero won’t work … I’ll post a update with the details.

[QUOTE=O’Canada;2196732]I also noticed you’ve got an ATI card in your system. Were all the utilities on the ATI supplied disk loaded on your computer? If so, you may want to consider getting rid of all of it except the drivers, as I had problems with some software as long as those utilities were on my system.[/QUOTE]

Not all but i’ve been planning to trim it further, it’s been low priority. I’m not a fan of there CCC etc. Seems they’ve gone for Flashy Looks rather than effieciency when making it. Just got a high priority.

Still none of the above explains the sudden way in which DVDFab started to behave differently, Between one burn and the next. (ok, except the HDD failing bit.)

I’ve now got VSO working how it did originally … burning the disks but failing to verify.

The following still happens

But if I then select one of the other main functions (i.e. Split) it’ll read my source folder and update the dropdown box. I can then select “Write Data” and move on to the actual burn process.

VSO behaves as before, but nero fails almost immediately. The Command window pops up and then disappears, DVDFab then reports the failure.

Is there any way for me to “catch” the command sent to nero’s consul program, so that I can replicate it manually and actually see what nero is saying? Or could someone supply me with a example of the command sent which I can then adapt.

Does this workaround shed any light on what’s really going on:p

Have you considered burning them as you ripped them using split?

You seem to be out of the loop burning and using verify for DVD’s. A Transfer Rate Test with Nero CD-DVD Speed will tell you if the disc will read back ok however i don’t trust that either because i’ve had a good TRT but the disc failed to work. Your drive will not perform quality tests so that is out (that’s another thread). Watching it will even prove it verifies better.

Ditch VSO and Nero for burning and use ImgBurn. You can try the verify with ImgBurn but i never use it. Just an extra thing i don’t need to wait on.

Burn your Sony 16D1’s at 8x or even 12x would work out better than 4x. Slower does not mean better with DVD’s. Your not burning CD-R’s and i don’t think burning CD-R’s at a slow speed was even proven but some will argue that.

Use Verbatim or Tayio Yuden media only… No more Sony’s. I personally use TY’s in the +R 8x variety and burn at 8x. If your player(s) is newer one you won’t have to bitset them to DVD-ROM (that’s another thread). Been using these for years without any problems.

Edit:
Actually you can use ImgBurn to burn. You don’t need DVDFab to burn your discs.

Also in your settings for “Split” and “Customize” in the dropdown select “Blank Screen” for both.

[QUOTE=Bob;2196792]Have you considered burning them as you ripped them using split?[/QUOTE] That’d be far to adventurous for me :stuck_out_tongue:

[QUOTE=Bob;2196792]You seem to be out of the loop burning and using verify for DVD’s. A Transfer Rate Test with Nero CD-DVD Speed will tell you if the disc will read back ok however i don’t trust that either because i’ve had a good TRT but the disc failed to work. Your drive will not perform quality tests so that is out (that’s another thread). Watching it will even prove it verifies better. [/QUOTE]

Point Taken! from both you and O’Canada, Realise now that my observations are only of Data CD’s. Limited experience with DVD’s and specifically Video DVD’s. Problem is I have a large DVD collection to back up and don’t have time to watch the lot :frowning: Have been working through the menus and spot checking each disk but even that is time consuming.

[QUOTE=Bob;2196792]Ditch VSO and Nero for burning and use ImgBurn. You can try the verify with ImgBurn but i never use it. Just an extra thing i don’t need to wait on.[/QUOTE]
Busy downloading it as I read this :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Bob;2196792]Burn your Sony 16D1’s at 8x or even 12x would work out better than 4x. Slower does not mean better with DVD’s. Your not burning CD-R’s and i don’t think burning CD-R’s at a slow speed was even proven but some will argue that. [/QUOTE] Will try being adventurous here and up the speed to 8x to see what happens.

[QUOTE=Bob;2196792]Use Verbatim or Tayio Yuden media only… No more Sony’s. I personally use TY’s in the +R 8x variety and burn at 8x. If your player(s) is newer one you won’t have to bitset them to DVD-ROM (that’s another thread). Been using these for years without any problems.[/QUOTE] TY I’ve never see or heard of, Verbatim are scarce and overpriced in my out of the way corner of South Africa)

[QUOTE=Bob;2196792]Also in your settings for “Split” and “Customize” in the dropdown select “Blank Screen” for both.[/QUOTE] Did that already.

[QUOTE=Bob;2196792]Edit:
Actually you can use ImgBurn to burn. You don’t need DVDFab to burn your discs.[/QUOTE]
Don’t need it to burn, but it was one of the major attractions for me. Means I can delegate some of the backup tasks to the wife :slight_smile: One UI … click here,here and here … job done. :slight_smile: hmmm … maybe I will be adventurous with the rip and burn in one go. Once I can find out what went wrong with DVDFab.

Thanks for the response.

[QUOTE=Rexx72;2196829] TY I’ve never see or heard of, Verbatim are scarce and overpriced in my out of the way corner of South Africa)[/QUOTE]sorry i didn’t know you were in SA. There is a member here diane7 that lives in SA also and she has said the same thing. Stick with the Sony’s then but they can be something else and not be 16 D1’s. If you could find Sony MIJ = made in Japan that would be great. Keep an eye on Verbatim and look for a sale on them.

Give ImgBurn a try. Once you install ImgBurn you can use it with DVDFab or by itself to burn with.

@ O’Canada sorry to butt in. Just trying to help out is all.

[QUOTE=Bob;2196845]sorry i didn’t know you were in SA. There is a member here diane7 that lives in SA also and she has said the same thing. Stick with the Sony’s then but they can be something else and not be 16 D1’s. If you could find Sony MIJ = made in Japan that would be great. Keep an eye on Verbatim and look for a sale on them.

Give ImgBurn a try. Once you install ImgBurn you can use it with DVDFab or by itself to burn with.

@ O’Canada sorry to butt in. Just trying to help out is all.[/QUOTE]

@ Bob - thanks for the help - you can say some things better than me…

@Rexx72:

If Write Mode is proving problematic, simply don’t use it. Imgburn, run as a solo program, can locate & write anything Fab can put on your HD - as long as you remember where you put it!

Re the HD problem - it’s not as bad as you might think… if only one file was affected, the actual damage is minor - I’m just not sure if there’s a utility that will update your HD Allocation Table. If you find one, it’ll mark that section as unusable, and it won’t be a problem anymore. Your HD will skip over it every time it does a write op.

Re Nero 7 (the version you indicated you had) - not to alarm you, but please verify (the hard way - put DVD in player & watch) that any you burned with Nero will play on a DVD player. We’ve had reports that Nero isn’t writing the AUDIO_TS folder, even though it’s empty, and I suspect that’s enough to stop a player cold.

If you get adventurous, and burn from disk to disk, with the burn speed upped a little, it should go faster. (important with a large library)!
On a disk to disk burn (even in Main Movie) Fab writes to a temp file, used only to provide data for the copy, then is erased (if you so choose).

Happy Burning!

O’C

:slight_smile:

[QUOTE=O’Canada;2196890]@ Bob - thanks for the help - you can say some things better than me…[/QUOTE]I just don’t have the patience like some of you members do…

I had the same problem, updated my firmware on my dvd drive and bam works again.

[QUOTE=spikebrian;2197759]I had the same problem, updated my firmware on my dvd drive and bam works again.[/QUOTE]Welcome to CDF’s:

That’s because of the blank discs you are using i would say.

[quote=Bob;2197937]Welcome to CDF’s:

That’s because of the blank discs you are using i would say.[/quote]
Yup making sure the drive/burner firmware is up to date does help it to understand the write strategies don’t it :bigsmile:

Sorry for the delay … but I had to work :frowning:
Also had a bit to do … getting new software to work, cleaning out old software, HDD maintenance, etc.

DVDFab is working perfectly again. :clap:

It seems the pre-installed version of “Nero Express Essentials” (Asus Laptop) in combination with the VSO burn engine was the cause of my problems. I think they interfere with each other as I was switching between them for my “Write Data” tasks, testing which worked best … lol

The gory details …

After doing a "Clean uninstall of DVDFab Platinum/Gold on XP"as per StormJumper’s Guide, I uninstalled Nero as well as removing all the Folders and registry entries in similar places to the ones mention in the guide. Also did a search for pcouffin and deleted the files I found in the windows system folders.

Installed ImgBurn. WOW :bow: what a great burning app, and freeware too. I was so impressed that after posting this I’m going to donate to the project.

Then Installed DVDFab 2.3.0.0 without the VSO engine. Everything working perfectly again :bow:

Many Thanks To O’Canada and Bob for their advice, also to StormJumper (for his guides).

I’m now zipping through my disks at 8x speed and getting the wife to do some of the backups :slight_smile: In a way I’m glad I had the hassles or I might not have had a closer look at ImgBurn or changed my burning habits.

p.s. Is there anyway to change the Topic title and/or edit my first post? Just to denote that my problems are fixed.

Well good deal Rexx. No way to change title or posts after 30 minutes. It’ll just fade away in the sea of threads here until someone posts here again so don’t worry about it.

Keep using the best media you can find and all should be good.

One good thing about ImgBurn you can set an automatic write speed for the discs you use and the dvd burners you have. It is under tools on the main screen of ImgBurn

[quote=Rexx72;2198042]Sorry for the delay … but I had to work :frowning:
Also had a bit to do … getting new software to work, cleaning out old software, HDD maintenance, etc.

DVDFab is working perfectly again. :clap:

It seems the pre-installed version of “Nero Express Essentials” (Asus Laptop) in combination with the VSO burn engine was the cause of my problems. I think they interfere with each other as I was switching between them for my “Write Data” tasks, testing which worked best … lol

The gory details …

After doing a "Clean uninstall of DVDFab Platinum/Gold on XP"as per StormJumper’s Guide, I uninstalled Nero as well as removing all the Folders and registry entries in similar places to the ones mention in the guide. Also did a search for pcouffin and deleted the files I found in the windows system folders.

Installed ImgBurn. WOW :bow: what a great burning app, and freeware too. I was so impressed that after posting this I’m going to donate to the project.

Then Installed DVDFab 2.3.0.0 without the VSO engine. Everything working perfectly again :bow:

Many Thanks To O’Canada and Bob for their advice, also to StormJumper (for his guides).

I’m now zipping through my disks at 8x speed and getting the wife to do some of the backups :slight_smile: In a way I’m glad I had the hassles or I might not have had a closer look at ImgBurn or changed my burning habits.

p.s. Is there anyway to change the Topic title and/or edit my first post? Just to denote that my problems are fixed.[/quote]
Your welcome, yeah system maintenance is critical for keeping the performance in tip top running order :wink:

BTW you may find that Nero DriveSpeed[B]([/B]loads at start up :eek: [B])[/B] to be the leading culprit of your issue.

Have a nice day :flower:

[QUOTE=StormJumper;2198062]
BTW you may find that Nero DriveSpeed[B]([/B]loads at start up :eek: [B])[/B] to be the leading culprit of your issue.
[/QUOTE]

I remember deleting that along with the other .pf files

BTW the VSO engine is also working great now in version 5.2.3.0

Just for the record … i have Nero 5.5.10.56 and DVDFab running on XP Pro 32 bit. Nero 7.11.10.0 and DVDFab running on Vi$ta 64 bit. I have VSO/pcouffin installed on both and no problems.

You left out one little detail my friend…
You are better at doing system wide configurations then the avg user, which does play a big role when it comes to performance and compatibility :wink:

Have a nice day :flower: