DVDFAB run faster Startup by adding RAM?

vbimport

Dear All,

Hi, I have been using DVDFAB with my notebook running at 1gb of Ram.

Will it make any difference if I add another 1gb of RAM? I am only using DVDFAB for disk copying and ripping.

The recent addition of Blu-Ray, has made DVDFAB a little blouted. (specially during program startup). So I thought additional RAM might help. Or how can I improve DVDFAB startup?

I am running Processor type Intel Core Duo, Processor speed 1.83 GHz. WinXP SP3

DVDFab starts up slow for everyone now as it takes about 20 to 30 seconds for it to start on my computer and I have 4gb of ram

[QUOTE=GJ;2463617]DVDFab starts up slow for everyone now as it takes about 20 to 30 seconds for it to start on my computer and I have 4gb of ram[/QUOTE]
No kidding…4gb and still takes 20-30seconds to start up DVDFAB, I guess 2gb doesn’t help.

Blu-Ray features must be the “culprit”.

Thank you

[QUOTE=Sea Monster;2463620]No kidding…4gb and still takes 20-30seconds to start up DVDFAB, I guess 2gb doesn’t help.

Blu-Ray features must be the “culprit”.

Thank you[/QUOTE]

Yeah as GJ pointed out the amount will make no difference in load time :frowning:
and the more that is added to the program the load time will increase :eek:
one of the biggest downfall of having all options combined into one package :rolleyes:
but hey I’ve never been one to be in a hurry :bigsmile:

Don’t matter…

I this love DVDFAB as much as I love my wife & daughter. Just don’t tell them I am comparing DVDFAB to them, I will be a dead monster.

Cheers:p

[QUOTE=Sea Monster;2464049]Don’t matter…

I this love DVDFAB as much as I love my wife & daughter. Just don’t tell them I am comparing DVDFAB to them, I will be a dead monster.

Cheers:p[/QUOTE]

My lips are eeled, I mean sealed :bigsmile:

A solid state disk drive might make it load faster?

20 seconds to load? mine takes 9 to 10 seconds. Maybe Windows Vista’s superfetch helps a little.

[QUOTE=lizardo_manson;2464589]20 seconds to load? mine takes 9 to 10 seconds. Maybe Windows Vista’s superfetch helps a little.[/QUOTE]

Is that on the first load after booting the machine or after the program is in cache memory?

if i calculated correctly, same time for both methods.

Mine loads in about 6 -7 seconds on the first startup and 3 seconds after that with Vista 64bit and 4 GB Ram
unless I already have a disc in the drive then click on it then it takes a few seconds longer to load on both first
startup and on tries afterwords about 15 - 20 seconds to load and scan the disc to be ready to rip.

[QUOTE=getit29;2464770]Mine loads in about 6 -7 seconds on the first startup and 3 seconds after that with Vista 64bit and 4 GB Ram
unless I already have a disc in the drive then click on it then it takes a few seconds longer to load on both first
startup and on tries afterwords about 15 - 20 seconds to load and scan the disc to be ready to rip.[/QUOTE]

Ditto…I wait till my machine boot up and I exe DVDFAB…with the disc in the bay. It takes 23.8sec (timed with stop watch) before it scan the DVD.

On first start up immediately after booting Time 10.2sec (timed with stop watch).

Don’t know it is because I am using a notebook. I have 2RAM and using WinXPSP3.

I just checked it takes 10 seconds for mine to start and not 20 seconds. Don’t have it installed on my laptop or my other desktop but I am sure it would take longer for them as they are slower due to cpu and ram

I don’t know about everyone else but I personally would think the startup time would depend on the type of CPU…ie…Single core, duel core or Quad core…course what CPU resources being used at the time you startup DVDFab may also play a factor :bigsmile:

But to be honest why worry about seconds whether it is 10, 15 or even 20…hmmm :confused: I wonder how many milliseconds it takes :rolleyes:

I’m in no hurry. I run a portable install anyway, that is to say I’ve installed Fab on a USB thumb drive. I can move it from computer to computer without worrying about violating the license agreement and the only thing that stays on any of the computers is the key information in the registery. I can carry DVDFab in my shirtpocket! I’ve sold a few copies for the devs by being able to demonstrate the power of the software to friends on their computer. It will only run as a trial on any computer without the key installed so no problem there. The flash memory in the thumb drive is pretty darn fast in any case.

[QUOTE=90312;2465013]I’m in no hurry. I run a portable install anyway, that is to say I’ve installed Fab on a USB thumb drive. I can move it from computer to computer without worrying about violating the license agreement and the only thing that stays on any of the computers is the key information in the registery. I can carry DVDFab in my shirtpocket! I’ve sold a few copies for the devs by being able to demonstrate the power of the software to friends on their computer. It will only run as a trial on any computer without the key installed so no problem there. The flash memory in the thumb drive is pretty darn fast in any case.[/QUOTE]

Cool, never thought of “carrying” DVDFAB in thumb drive. That is really cool, but do you still need to INSTALL in on machines, it would be even more cool if DVDFAB has a PORTABLE mode, but I assumed it is rather impossible to create one.

It is completely portable. When the installer asks where you want to install the software just change the C: to whatever the drive letter is for your thumb drive. You need not install anything on the computer other than the key of course. It will run normally on your computer and as a trial on any computer that hasn’t had the key installed. I take it to work with me in my shirtpocket so the IT guys don’t get in a twist about installing software on thier preicous machines.

[QUOTE=90312;2465416]It is completely portable. When the installer asks where you want to install the software just change the C: to whatever the drive letter is for your thumb drive. You need not install anything on the computer other than the key of course. It will run normally on your computer and as a trial on any computer that hasn’t had the key installed. I take it to work with me in my shirtpocket so the IT guys don’t get in a twist about installing software on thier preicous machines.[/QUOTE]

In that case, where should I placed the “keys”. I assumed DVDFAB will automatically scan for the keys on the original PC with the keys regardless of there the keys are located?

If the key is installed you don’t need to do anything, the keys stay on the computer in the registry I guess and not on the installed program on the thumb drive.If I run it at a friends house on his computer it runs as a trial. I have three computers including my laptop, the only thing installed is the keys on each of them. I simply plug in the USB drive and go. I do have a short cut on the desktop so I don’t have to dig up the exe file every time.

[QUOTE=90312;2465431]If the key is installed you don’t need to do anything, the keys stay on the computer in the registry I guess and not on the installed program on the thumb drive.If I run it at a friends house on his computer it runs as a trial. I have three computers including my laptop, the only thing installed is the keys on each of them. I simply plug in the USB drive and go. I do have a short cut on the desktop so I don’t have to dig up the exe file every time.[/QUOTE]

The keys stays in the registry, but won’t a Registry Cleaner program removed them?

Maybe an external HDD with DVDFAB installed, but keys are placed in a folder on the main drive, might also work.

THank you for the interesting way of using DVDFAB