DVDFab reading/writing problem

I am new to this forum, so hope I posted this right. I have used DVDFab for quite awhile and not really had any problems till recently . . keep getting this notice.

Reading/Writing error control Error while reading! Please choose what to do. (choices are retry, abort, ignore, ignore all.

Doesn’t seem to matter what I choose, the process doesn’t continue.

This is happening with any dvd I’ve tried recently and is happening with various drives.

I saw in another posting that some cut&paste the techinical aspects of whatever was going on, however I can’t find that area.

Thanks for any help.

I’ve updated to 5.2.3.2 with no success.

[quote=jkroe;2229745]I am new to this forum, so hope I posted this right. I have used DVDFab for quite awhile and not really had any problems till recently . . keep getting this notice.

Reading/Writing error control Error while reading! Please choose what to do. (choices are retry, abort, ignore, ignore all.

Doesn’t seem to matter what I choose, the process doesn’t continue.

This is happening with any dvd I’ve tried recently and is happening with various drives.

I saw in another posting that some cut&paste the techinical aspects of whatever was going on, however I can’t find that area.

Thanks for any help.

I’ve updated to 5.2.3.2 with no success.[/quote]
Hi jkroe
Have you tried checking the transfer mode of the drive/drives to see if it or they are in DMA mode and not PIO mode ? also if you go into common settings-> "PathPlayer make sure it is not set as “Enable PathPlayer when necessary” that setting has a flaw, set it as “Always enabled” or “disabled”

Thanks for the suggestions Stormjumper,

I’ve checked and the drives are both in DMA, not PIO.

I also checked Pathplayer and the “enable pathplayer when necessary” box was NOT checked. It is on “Always enabled.”

[quote=jkroe;2230189]Thanks for the suggestions Stormjumper,

I’ve checked and the drives are both in DMA, not PIO.

I also checked Pathplayer and the “enable pathplayer when necessary” box was NOT checked. It is on “Always enabled.”[/quote]
If those two are ok then it [B]may[/B] be the drive/burner :eek:
I was thanking it could be the disc but you said you have this issue with all discs you try so don’t think that is the problem area :confused:
Do you have this issue with other burning software ? if not, have you checked the I/O setting in common settins ?

I’m having the same reading/writing error problem but so far on only one backup of Star Wars. I’ve made sure that PathPlayer setting is always enabled but I don’t know how to check the transfer mode of the drives.

I did see in one post to ‘reset the DMA’ but when I clicked on that button it came up with a rather ominous message about ‘dramatically reducing the CPU speed’. Not knowing what that would do to my computer I didn’t do the reset thing.

Would you please tell me how to check the transfer mode?

Thanks!

Ah ha… I just discovered how to check the transfer mode.

All were set to ‘DMA if possible’.

Since all the settings seem to be OK, I’m guessing my problem with just this one backup is something about the disc itself. Of course I’m open to any and all suggestions. :slight_smile:

Which of the discs is it? Some of them were difficult to backup, but it could just be a bad disc. If the original plays back OK, try selecting Ignore All. Use a folder as the Target instead of a blank disc so that you can test the playback before burning.

[quote=kolohe;2232333]Ah ha… I just discovered how to check the transfer mode.

All were set to ‘DMA if possible’.

Since all the settings seem to be OK, I’m guessing my problem with just this one backup is something about the disc itself. Of course I’m open to any and all suggestions. :)[/quote] but what were they set at ? look under the current transfer mode that is where it tells you what mode it is in PIO or DMA

[QUOTE=signals;2232386]Which of the discs is it? Some of them were difficult to backup, but it could just be a bad disc. If the original plays back OK, try selecting Ignore All. Use a folder as the Target instead of a blank disc so that you can test the playback before burning.[/QUOTE]

It’s the “New Hope” disc (the one released in 2004). It does play back fine. I’ll try the Ignore All and use the folder method you suggested. Thanks!

[QUOTE=Jimbo;2232518]but what were they set at ? look under the current transfer mode that is where it tells you what mode it is in PIO or DMA[/QUOTE]

I have 2 Primary IDE and 2 Secondary IDE channels with 2 devices listed under each one.
The 1st Primary: Device 0: current is ultra DMA Mode 5
Device 1: current is "not applicable"
The 2nd Primary: Device 0: current is ultra DMA mode 2
Device 1: current is PIO mode

The 1st Secondary: Device 0: current is 'not applicable’
Device 1: current is 'not applicable’
The 2nd Secondary: Device 0: current is 'not applicable’
Device 1: current is ‘not applicable’

The above info is probably overkill but I’m not sure what I’m looking at… tho the one with the PIO mode is obvious… just don’t know what to do about it. :confused:

[quote=kolohe;2232775]I have 2 Primary IDE and 2 Secondary IDE channels with 2 devices listed under each one.
The 1st Primary: Device 0: current is ultra DMA Mode 5
Device 1: current is "not applicable"
The 2nd Primary: Device 0: current is ultra DMA mode 2
[B]Device 1: current is PIO mode[/B]

The 1st Secondary: Device 0: current is 'not applicable’
Device 1: current is 'not applicable’
The 2nd Secondary: Device 0: current is 'not applicable’
Device 1: current is ‘not applicable’

The above info is probably overkill but I’m not sure what I’m looking at… tho the one with the PIO mode is obvious… just don’t know what to do about it. :confused:[/quote]
The one in [B]Bold[/B] is the onf you want to change to DMA

[QUOTE=StormJumper;2232810]The one in [B]Bold[/B] is the onf you want to change to DMA[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the help and thanks for the ‘link’ to the explanation of how to check and reset the DMA; very helpful! Will give it a go. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=StormJumper;2232810]The one in [B]Bold[/B] is the onf you want to change to DMA[/QUOTE]

OK. I followed the instructions for resetting/changing the setting to DMA. When it rebooted the one in question was indeed changed to DMA. BUT now my write drive has a problem. I can no longer access it! It comes up with “E:\is not accesible. Incorrect Function”. It won’t play or read anything even when I manually try to open or ‘explore’ it, the same error comes up.

I tried resetting the DMA back to the way it was i.e. PIO. Same problem. I tried doing a restore point, same problem.

Help please.

try uninstalling the IDE Channel that it’s or and then reboot and let windows reinstall it

[QUOTE=Jimbo;2232992]try uninstalling the IDE Channel that it’s or and then reboot and let windows reinstall it[/QUOTE]

OK will try that now. Thanks

[QUOTE=Jimbo;2232992]try uninstalling the IDE Channel that it’s or and then reboot and let windows reinstall it[/QUOTE]

No go. I uninstalled the offending IDE channel and rebooted. The puter came up with new hardware notice indicating it found a new CD rom drive and a new Primary IDE Channel. However, those notifications stayed on and wouldn’t let me do anything else with the computer i.e. shut it down etc. I waited for 15 mins in case the system was doing something. Still locked up. I finally got through to task manager and clicked on shut down there. It didn’t work and I had to do a ‘hard’ shut down.

I booted up again the system came up OK but the problem with the write drive still exists. Without a disc in the drive it says " DVD/CD-RW Drive" after inserting a blank DVD it relabels itself as “CD ROM drive”. Trying to open or explore it again just comes up with the “E:\ is not accesible. Incorrect Function” message again.

Again, help please.

OK, time to admit I’m an idiot.:o I won’t tell you just how big an idiot I am but suffice it to say, all is well with my burn drive, my DVDFab program etc. :bigsmile:
Thanks to all for your help.

[quote=kolohe;2233677]OK, time to admit I’m an idiot.:o I won’t tell you just how big an idiot I am but suffice it to say, all is well with my burn drive, my DVDFab program etc. :bigsmile:
Thanks to all for your help.[/quote]
OK :bigsmile: will not bother asking what the problem was or how you solved it, will just say glad you got it fixed :iagree: