DVDFab Quality

vbimport

When I load a movie to burn in DVDFab Plat. it runs a Quality% I’ve seen this @ 100% and see it as low as 55% but seems to burn the movies, just what is this? I have scarded around looking but cannot find the friendly answer!!

I don’t have this program but quality scan is the way the quality burnt disc, movie, or recorded Video to be examined before ripping it in to hard drive.

This is an indication of the size of the movie and will vary. This number is a relative indication of the amount of compression that DVDFab must apply to make the title fit on the disc size you select with the drop down window just to the left (DVD5/DVD9),; the default for this selection can be set in Common Settings if you always burn one type or the other. Higher numbers are better (produce better quality images); the lower the number the higher the amount of compression that is being applied. You can reduce the amount of compression by copying only the main movie, deleting unneeded audio streams and putting the extras on a 2nd disc, or use a DVD9 DL disc to hold more and copy the whole thing at 100% Quality. To be extra friendly, I will try to anticipate your next question, which is usually “How low can you go?” The answer is subjective and depends on the quality of the original DVD, how large a screen you plan to watch these backups on and other factors. I have had good results on some movies as low as 65%, but generally try to keep the number at 80-85% or better. At that point I can’t see the difference between one with no compression at all (100% Quality).

What A Great Answer, Thank You! I’m Not Trying To Be Smartas But That Makes Since Becasue The Low The % The Longer It Took For Read Or Load Or What Ever It Does First, But Thanks Again!!!

Hey, you’re welcome! The lower the number, the more DVDFab has to hump it to crunch the video and the longer it takes. Another good reason to keep that number as high as possible.

I have had good quality burns at the 58% mark myself. But these eyes aren’t like they used to be, LOL. ~ Mike P.S. Welcome to the forum

I wouldn’t judge it on percentage. What if you had a DVD that was at 80% but only had a bitrate of just over 1000? And another DVD at 55% with a bitrate of over 5000? Which one will come out better?

Just out of curiosity linx05 because I’ve heard of what you are talking about but I’m not very versed in that, how would I find that info about the movie to make that decision? Also where would I go to learn more about what you are talking about? Thanks for your info. ~ Mike

Most of you already know this, but I though the explanation might help some new users.

The term quality in reference to transcoding of the video is actually a bit misleading. I believe the number in DVDFab refers to the proportional size of the original video to the copied video.

In other words, if the original was a dual layer DVD-9 disk (which most are) that was entirely full, copying it to a single layer DVD-5 disk would result in a quality factor near 50%, because the video size would have been reduced by half.

The actual quality is based on the bit rate of the content on the original DVD, which varies considerably from one DVD to another, based on the amount of content (recording time) of the original. So, although a 2 hour DVD that fills a DVD-9 results in a near 50% quality on a DVD-5, that 50% is much higher than a 4 hour DVD-9 reduced to 50% on a DVD-5.

While what Fred says is certainly true, the user has no control over the bit rate of the original, only the amount of its reduction as reflected in the “Quality” number, which is why I said

“How low can you go?” The answer is subjective and depends on the quality of the original DVD, how large a screen you plan to watch these backups on and other factors.
With the “Quality” number, regardless of anything else, less is worse, more is better.

Thanks Fred, good to hear from you. I always learn something from you. And I agree with you signals. We should always strive for the biggest number so’s that the picture is sharper or what have you right? ~ Mike