DVDFab QT on XP

vbimport

This is probably old news, but I finally installed the QT version & every time I try to load it I blue screen with the message that something tried to write to protected memory.
I’ve run the registry patch, but still fail to get as far as finishing loading the codecs.
I tried it with the 11.9 Radeon drivers & now with the 11.10 drivers - No go for either.
The error happens with atioglxx.dll, which is the latest driver version for my Radeon 6770.
I am running XP SP3 32bit, fully patched, 4Gb RAM, Athlon Phenom x6.
Does this mean that I’ll be stuck on 8.085 forever ?
Passkey works fine.
Any clues ?
Thanks

What exact version of the QT did you try to install?

The last couple of version seemed to have loaded without any problems.

I waited until now in the hope that the XP problems had been ironed out.

Try the newest 8.1.2.9 QT Beta

That version is old all ready

Will do

No Joy, even with 8.1.3.2 - Instant Blue Screen :frowning:

[QUOTE=Fruitcake;2609279]8.126
I waited until now in the hope that the XP problems had been ironed out.[/QUOTE]

Hi Fruitcake

If you was one of many XP users that tried the QT version when it was first released you may want to try doing a “Clean uninstall of DVDFab”, however this does require you to uninstall any and all versions you may have on your system you will also need your registration key handy to activate the product.

The clean uninstall also required going into the registry and delete all DVDFab entries from several registry hives, if you have never edited the registry before you should have a friend or someone who has help you.

The DVDFab QT version was modified a while back to resolve the XP issue so the registry patch you speak of should no longer be required, after you [B]follow the guide below[/B] for doing a clean uninstall I suggest you install the latest QT version first and confirm it works first before installing any older version.

[B]SJ[/B]

Thanks. I’ll give it a go.
I thought that by waiting a while the QT version of FAB might be OK, but there is obviously something I need to tweak.
I’m very familiar with the Registry, so that part will be no problem.
I’m sure it’ll work eventually, but going straight to blue screen didn’t give me much in the way of error logs to work with :slight_smile:

If you are still getting the BSOD, post the minidump and we’ll see what’s causing it.

I had the same problem and I could have sworn I clicked on a link here
that sent me to a zip file that had an .exe that went to the registry and fixed the XP problem…

fabplay.zip is the file that will fix the XP REGISTRY problem with the fabQT
problem…

look for post by JIMBO on 22-6-11
the file is there in his post.

[QUOTE=rago88;2612181]fabplay.zip is the file that will fix the XP REGISTRY problem with the fabQT
problem…

the file is there in his post.[/QUOTE]

Yes that was the fix or workaround when the issue was reported, however I believe Fengtao resolved the problem later in one of the updates.

From the change log of v8116 QT…

Fix: New preview player improved compatibility with old version of DirectX on Windows XP SP3

[B]SJ[/B]

Post this file: C:\Windows\Minidump\Minidump.dmp

It will have the root cause of the BSOD. How to fix it might be a different matter but at least you’ll have a starting point.

[QUOTE=90312;2612376]Post this file: C:\Windows\Minidump\Minidump.dmp

It will have the root cause of the BSOD. How to fix it might be a different matter but at least you’ll have a starting point.[/QUOTE]

That might be a bit tricky as I don’t have that directory or any minidump.dmp file :confused:

The computer must not be set to save them, most are. Set it as follows and it will save the .dmp on the next BSOD.

Saving a memory dump

1.Right-click on My Computer
2.Select Properties
3.Select Advanced
4.In the Start up and Recovery section, select Settings; this displays the Startup and Recovery dialog box
5.In the Write debugging information section, select kernel memory dump

While still in the Start up and Recovery dialog box, ensure that the following options are checked in the System failure section:
Write an event to the system log
Send an administrative alert
Automatically restart

[QUOTE=rago88;2612181]fabplay.zip is the file that will fix the XP REGISTRY problem with the fabQT
problem…

the file is there in his post.[/QUOTE] :iagree: That was the fix for XP users whose graphic cards didn’t support QT versions, I updated my graphics card with a newer model and didn’t need the fix anymore so I removed it from the reg. Try the Fabplay.zip and see what happens

I’ve tried Fabplay.zip & it didnt work.
The Memory Dump was set to small dump as I have my swap file on a different spindle, so the larger Kernel dump may not work as I have no swap file on C:
I’ve set it to kernel dump anyway as there’s no harm seeing what happens.
I’ll let you know how I get on.

Don’t ask me why, but after several installs, re-installs, registry fixing & all sorts, to no avail, I had just about given up.
Tried V8.1.6.1 & it worked !
The only serious update since last time was an update to my Radeon graphics driver.
Makes no sense, but since when did anything running in Windows make any sense :slight_smile: