DVDFab Profile Editor is out

vbimport

Dear all,

DVDFab Profile Editor 1.0.0.1 Beta is out (August 19, 2008):

http://www.dvdfab.com/download/DVDFabProfileEditor1001Beta.exe

If your device is not supported by DVDFab, you can create your own profile for your device now.

Please try it to see the result. Any question or feedback is welcome.

Best Regards,
DVDFab Team

Ting
This is great :). It does not seem to allow creation or editing of H264+[B]MP3[/B] in MP4; AAC is the only audio codec choice in the dropdown. Very handy new tool! Thank you!

Never mind, I found how to fix it. :slight_smile:

This is a great tool but I can’t see whats at the bottom of the screen so I cant adjust the width or height of the video. I’m unable to get the window to fit my screen correctly. Any suggestions other than having to move my task bar or changing my screen resolution everytime?

This is a welcome addition to DVDFab. A couple of suggestions:

It is may be a bad idea to allow such easy editing of the standard profiles that come with DVDFab. Instead, I suggest that standard profiles be able to be copied and saved as something else. This is especially true since the installer will undoubtedly overwrite these profiles with each version of the software. The profile editor could allow edit and save of modified profiles under the “Documents and Settings/<user>/Application Data/DVDFab/profiles” where DVDFab also picks up profile information. This is also where DVDFab saves when you click the button to make your changes the default.

Allowing changes to the standard profiles will also will make it very difficult to help troubleshoot problems users are having. When a user is asked what profile they are running, we can no longer assume that the profile is unchanged. Signals will be pulling out all of his hair trying to figure it out.

This is the very first publicly available beta release but I’d like to point out that you have not included all the settings available in the standard profiles. Specifically, you have not included the fourcc and vcodec options. This is probably not a tool for the average user so including all the settings that DVDFab has in a profile editor would be a great way to mitigate the lack of up-to-date documentation on profiles.

The ones I have experimented with so far ask for a rename when the profile “belongs to DVDFab”. I think your other points are well taken. I am treating my hair very gently these days, what is left of it. :slight_smile:

Far enough, but why not edit in the user specific profile directory instead of the program directory. Keeping the program separate from the user files is a basic design principle. DVDFab HAS implemented that principle given where the default profile is saved. Why wouldn’t the profile editor follow the same?

hi,

Far enough, but why not edit in the user specific profile directory instead of the program directory. Keeping the program separate from the user files is a basic design principle.

Thanks good idea !

for this beta, version, not allow Editor save changed profile into DVDFab default profile, users can save it in another file name.

I think in next version, we will save all user changed profile into “Documents and Settings/<user>/Application Data/DVDFab/profiles”

In the future, we will add more options for advance settings.

Thanks.

Multilanguage interface would be nice.

[QUOTE=frankster91;2112987]This is a great tool but I can’t see whats at the bottom of the screen so I cant adjust the width or height of the video. I’m unable to get the window to fit my screen correctly. Any suggestions other than having to move my task bar or changing my screen resolution everytime?[/QUOTE]

same here

is a tutorial available for profile editor??? please help!!

:rolleyes::rolleyes::doh:[QUOTE=Jolly-Roger;2113083]is a tutorial available for profile editor??? please help!![/QUOTE]

Not yet.

The window for DVDFab Profile Editor is too large for my screen (1024x768)
The buttons are off the bottom of the screen.
It is impossible to resize the window, so the program is unusable.

[QUOTE=signals;2113089]Not yet.[/QUOTE]

You think you can put one together for us :bigsmile:

[quote=StormJumper;2113135]You think you can put one together for us :bigsmile:[/quote]I knew that was coming! Poor signals. :eek:

[QUOTE=Frank_Keane;2113102]The window for DVDFab Profile Editor is too large for my screen (1024x768)
The buttons are off the bottom of the screen.
It is impossible to resize the window, so the program is unusable.[/QUOTE]
three times this has been mentioned by three different users.
and each time the problem totally ignored.
i know it was only released 11 hours since.
c’mon Ting…is this being looked into?

[QUOTE=Complication;2112988]This is a welcome addition to DVDFab. A couple of suggestions:

It is may be a bad idea to allow such easy editing of the standard profiles that come with DVDFab. Instead, I suggest that standard profiles be able to be copied and saved as something else. This is especially true since the installer will undoubtedly overwrite these profiles with each version of the software. The profile editor could allow edit and save of modified profiles under the “Documents and Settings/<user>/Application Data/DVDFab/profiles” where DVDFab also picks up profile information. This is also where DVDFab saves when you click the button to make your changes the default.

Allowing changes to the standard profiles will also will make it very difficult to help troubleshoot problems users are having. When a user is asked what profile they are running, we can no longer assume that the profile is unchanged. Signals will be pulling out all of his hair trying to figure it out.

This is the very first publicly available beta release but I’d like to point out that you have not included all the settings available in the standard profiles. Specifically, you have not included the fourcc and vcodec options. This is probably not a tool for the average user so including all the settings that DVDFab has in a profile editor would be a great way to mitigate the lack of up-to-date documentation on profiles.[/QUOTE]

I am afraid that I disagree with Complication here. His request to store the profiles in the AppData directory make an assumption that you are always logged on as the same user otherwise those profiles will only available to that user.

[B]This is most certainly NOT the case in my installation as any PC may be used by a variety of different logged on users (Even though they may all only be me).[/B]

I would far prefer to manage the profiles centrally where they are at the moment under \Program Files\DVD Fab\Profiles.

I do agree with Complication that there are more parameters to add and that documentation on all of these is way out of date and needs an update.

[quote=StormJumper;2113135]You think you can put one together for us :bigsmile:[/quote]I thought I would wait for the next release since Ting said there would be changes in the way it works.

@GregiBoy
I’m not too sure about this either, but Ting already said it was a good idea, so we’ll just have to see how it works out. I’m not sure if he meant he was going to move all the profiles out of program files, or just the modded ones. I still want to be able to access them all, and you would want to also, no matter how you’re logged on. Time will tell. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=signals;2113215]I thought I would wait for the next release since Ting said there would be changes in the way it works.[/QUOTE]

Yeah Paul I figured you would wait, but knowing you as we all do you are already putting something together :smiley: