DVDFab Portable

Hey guys,

I wonder why I couldn’t find any post about my issue, but maybe someone still has an idea about it:

I try to run DVDFab Platinum portable from a thumb-drive (without installation needed). What I did is:

• I did a standard installation
  • copied the directory to my thumbdrive
  • tested on anthoer machine
  • was happy that it seemed to work

My question is: Since the “Patin-Couffin Engine” needs to be installed why did it work without it? I tried it on a plain machine, so no Nero, no VSO drivers, nothing. Do I miss something?

If it works I’d buy the app (and write a small script which enters my registration info to the registry), but is there anything else which prevents the app to run portable?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers!

quicky

I think you could not find any posts about this because not many users would need or want to do it. You say that it “seemed to work”; did you try all functions? The DVDFab installer is compact and runs quickly, probably safer just to let it install correctly. Are you satisfied that this does not violate the EULA?

Hey signals,

I have to admit, that I need to check the EULA but since I only use it on one machine at a time I doubt that there should be an issue. But again: I’m gonna check it.

“It seemed to work” means that ripping/burning a full DVD worked absolutely perfect, however I was just wondering why it would need to install any drivers if it also works without them.

What are they good for? The VSO burning engine seems to work without the Patin-Couffin-Engine.

Have apps run without the need of regsitry entries is quite nice since you’re not limited to one machine. Or setting up a system again works like charme when you don’t need to setup all apps.

Check www.portableapps.com those communities are growing quite fast!

Cheers!

quicky

Hi Quicky,
Well, maybe I am just to old and creaky to understand the need or attraction for this for an app like DVDFab.:slight_smile: I read the EULA before I wrote the other post and I’m not sure myself whether this would violate it. Kind of vague. The DLL for the burning engine (vso_hwe.dll) is part of the folder on your pin drive, it may be that it can run from this alone. Unless you possibly had P-C installed from some other app. The way DVDFab is structured for DVD to Mobile, all the codecs are included, so that part should be OK too. Hope it works out for you!

[quote=quicky;1940214]Hey signals,

I have to admit, that I need to check the EULA but since I only use it on one machine at a time I doubt that there should be an issue. But again: I’m gonna check it.

“It seemed to work” means that ripping/burning a full DVD worked absolutely perfect, however I was just wondering why it would need to install any drivers if it also works without them.

What are they good for? The VSO burning engine seems to work without the Patin-Couffin-Engine.

Have apps run without the need of regsitry entries is quite nice since you’re not limited to one machine. Or setting up a system again works like charme when you don’t need to setup all apps.

Check www.portableapps.com those communities are growing quite fast!

Cheers!

quicky[/quote]