DVDFab Platinum unable to start on Vista

Hi,
My copy of DVDFab Platinum (3.0.9.8) is unable to start up on my copy of Vista Home Premium. Every time I start it I get a windows popup error stating:
“DVDFab - The ultimate DVD copying/converting/burning software has stopped working”

This seems to happen before DVDFab even gets started.

The vist problem reports gives the following info:
Product
DVDFab - The ultimate DVD copying/converting/burning software!

Problem
Stopped working

Date
27/04/2007 02:07

Status
Report Sent

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: DVDFabPlatinum.exe
Application Version: 3.0.9.8
Application Timestamp: 4611dd71
Fault Module Name: kernel32.dll
Fault Module Version: 6.0.6000.16386
Fault Module Timestamp: 4549bd80
Exception Code: 0eedfade
Exception Offset: 0001b09e
OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.768.3
Locale ID: 2057
Additional Information 1: e6fb
Additional Information 2: 56ad483fa1a14adffcabebacd7ccd3dc
Additional Information 3: afbf
Additional Information 4: d115c1f4f21df248cee97a8da796acf9

Extra information about the problem
Bucket ID: 406501054

Hi, lonegroover and welcome to the DVDFab forum. Sorry your’re having trouble. Fab is up and running on many Vista systems with only a few hiccups along the way, so I wonder of this might be 1) a corrupt install, caused by installing with firewall/AV enabled 2) a conflict with some other app or process already running or 3) some other series of unfortunate events:) . Does the DVDFab screen even come up before the failure? Does this happen with no movie in the Source drive? Any problems with any other apps? Give us a little more info and I’m sure someone will have some suggestions.

Hi Signals, & thanks for the super-quick reply. I’ve tried re-installing the software a few times, including with my AV disabled, but with the same problem each time. I also get the problem if I run with the AV disabled. I get the problem if I run immediately on reboot before I start any other software, and even if I shut down any programs run on startup. It certainly could be a conflict with something else (the fact that the error shows in ‘system32.dll’ suggests this), but it’s hard to identify what it could be. It happens regardless of whether or not any movies are in a DVD drive. The problem occurs before I get any indication of DVDFab running, no splash screen or anything else, it seems to occur before DVDFab really gets started. It’s this which makes it hard to track down. Hoping someone has some bright ideas as I’m out :frowning:

The fact that it happens so quickly sure sounds like a conflict of some sort. If it has a chance DVDFab will write an Event or Crash log that may tell us a little more about what is happening. Click on the bottom link in my sig for the log location (the log will be in the same folder as described in the linked post, but will have a different name, containing “Event” or “Crash”). Have a look in there and see what you can find. These logs are text files that will open in Notepad.

As far as I know the DVDFAB Platinum has yet been updated for VISTA compatibility therefore I am not surprised if does not work perfectly with VISTA.

I have the exact same problem, the only time I can get dvdfab platinum to run on vista is the first time after installing. As soon as I enter the registration code and it tries to restart it crashes the same way as for lonegroover, and crashes every time from there on. Restarting Vista does not fix it. I’m using 3.0.9.8.

Hi, No sign of the logs anywhere :frowning: I can see an old log file (last updated in Jan) from a previous XP install, but nothing more recent, and nothing with anything except XP-based log info.

I solved the problem on my computer. It’s due to DEP (Data Execution Protection) !!! I read a message posted elsewhere on this forum dealing with the same problem with vista 64 and the guy narrowed it down to DEP. I added dvdfab platinum to the DEP exceptions list and now it works fine. Maybe you have the same issue ?

Forgot to add, see thread “DVDFab Platinum and Vista 64” and thanks to Dilburt for finding the problem. This should be added to the FAQ page for DVD Fab .

Thanks Margrave - you get my star of the day award - that fixed it :slight_smile:

And thanks to everyone who posted helping me get this fixed so quickly :clap:

Hi. I still have this problem (v. 3176, 4012, 4025Beta). I changed DEP on my PC. But still no works. I tried on 3 others PC (one XP) and there are the same problem. Maybe someone help me. But what is interesting - DVDFabHDDecrypter4025Beta1 is working fine…

about Vista compatibility …

works flawlessly even on Vista Bussiness 32-bit build 6001 SP1 RC1 (v.668)

I have Vista Home Premium (Polish) with all updates and still doesn’t work. Also the last version - 4.0.3.0.

I’m having the same problem here. I have a Intel Core 2 Duo, E4400 on an Intel D945GCFG1 motherboard (the computer itself is a Gateway). The operating system is Windows Vista Home Premium (32 bit). After I installed the latest version (not the beta), I checked the DEP setting and dvdfab was already there and checked (maybe the program adds itself automatically now?), but the program still crashed.

I tried the latest beta with the same results. I also did the ‘full’ uninstall of dvd fab before installing the beta.

Is there any further information or updates on this problem?

Thanks.

Welcome lonegroover… you will see many issues with Vista in recent posts. I have been running DVDFab on Vista Ultimate for a while now, and some builds seem to work better than others… so hopefully we’re getting there! As far as my ripping is concerned (to PS3 (for Xbox360 actually)) the most recent builds have been the worst… allowing only one or two rips before I have to resort to a full reboot. regards.

Some companys like HP as the Adminisrator account disabled on the Vista Home verson and you can’t access the security policy even though you are listed as the “Computer Adminisrator” you have only limited rights, that is the reason I upgraded to Ultimate and even then I had to enable Administrator Account myself by changing the setting ing the security policy

My DVDFab 6.0.1.0 opens fine. Using full disc DVD to DVD copy, I have no trouble with the first task (ripping the source to HDD). After putting in the blank disc, it begins the writing process, but a few seconds in, I get the DEP shutdown. Added every DVDFab .exe file I can to the DEP exception list and restarted several times, but it always shuts down right after I insert the blank disc and it starts the burn. Any ideas?

[QUOTE=doctorjan;2286684]My DVDFab 6.0.1.0 opens fine. Using full disc DVD to DVD copy, I have no trouble with the first task (ripping the source to HDD). After putting in the blank disc, it begins the writing process, but a few seconds in, I get the DEP shutdown. Added every DVDFab .exe file I can to the DEP exception list and restarted several times, but it always shuts down right after I insert the blank disc and it starts the burn. Any ideas?[/QUOTE]

Did you change the setting for DEP ? you need to put a tick next to “Run DEP for all programs and services except for those I select” :wink: