DVDFab Platinum rip speed

hi folks

could someone please tell me at what speed DVDFab Platinum rips. Thx for any response :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=cyspur;1958530]hi folks

could someone please tell me at what speed DVDFab Platinum rips. Thx for any response :)[/QUOTE]

Wide variability…depends on your hardware, settings, movie - quite a bit of variability here as well…some are problematic due to copy protection, structure +/or physical condition, etc., etc…

thx maineman was just thinking if reading the disc at a lower speed would be advantageous, guess i’m bored lol

Actually, you don’t control the rip speed at all. As maineman said, it’ll rip as fast as your PC and hardware will permit. If you look at my signature, you’ll see what my system is. I too run Platinum and the average new movie will take me approx. 16 to 18 min. to rip. On occassion again as maineman said, a movie will take up to 23 min. to rip. It’s all about the encryption and the amount of compression involved ok. ~ Mike

[QUOTE=cyspur;1958542]thx maineman was just thinking if reading the disc at a lower speed would be advantageous, guess i’m bored lol[/QUOTE]

I’ve had occasions where I used Nero DriveSpeed to limit a drive’s read speed when trying to recover data from a defective disc. However, I haven’t actually tried it in conjunction with DVDfab. I know DVD Decrypter has settings to slow down the drive itself. Slowing down the read speed is generally advantageous only if the disc is giving read errors or is out of balance enough to cause excessive vibration.

As far as I know, DVDFab Platinum doesn’t have that ability. It would be nice though. Maybe in a future update ? ~ Mike

There are a couple of settings within Fab that will “sometimes” help on hard to read discs.

Uncheck[B] Enable read-ahead cache[/B]
and I’ve also found it helpful to [B]Ignore all reading errors automatically[/B]…:wink:

Thanks maineman. I myself didn’t realize that. Guess you really do learn something all the time. ~ Mike

[QUOTE=maineman;1958740]There are a couple of settings within Fab that will “sometimes” help on hard to read discs.

Uncheck[B] Enable read-ahead cache[/B]
and I’ve also found it helpful to [B]Ignore all reading errors automatically[/B]…;)[/QUOTE]

Unchecking “Enable read-ahead cache” makes sense to me. :iagree:

The trouble with “Ignore all reading errors” is that what that really does is saves whatever the drive returns and pretends it is correct. If you are talking about a few scattered errors on a video DVD, that’s probably okay. But if you are getting a LOT of errors, you will wind up with an unwatchable mess. Been there, done that. :doh:

@cyspur
One thing I forgot to mention earlier, if you are getting read errors on one DVD drive, try a different drive if you have one available. I’ve seen night and day difference in ability of different drive models to read problem DVDs.

thx a million for the very useful info every1