DVDFab Platinum Reading/Writing Error Control

vbimport

I am having a problem with DVDFab Platinum with several different movies. In fact, all movies. This error is "Reading/Writing Error Control. Error while reading! Please choose what to do. Retry/Abort/Ignore/Ignore all. I have had this problem with DVD Fab Platinum 4 and recently upgraded to version 5 beta. I still have this error message. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance. WolfpackRon.

My log has been sent to Tech Support concerning the Reading/Writing Error Control error. This problem ocurrs with both DVDFab 4 and 5. Could this possibly be a DVD Burner problem? It still works with Nero. WolfpackRon.

Hi,

Please try to disable Read-ahead Cache in “Settings -> DVD -> Read” to see the result.

Best Regards,
Fengtao

That did not solve my problem. What happens if I check the box “Ignore all reading errors automatically?” Will that affect the burning of the DVD? Thanks, WolfpackRon.

It may. “Ignore” should be a last resort, but you can try it. Select a hard disc folder as the Target instead of a blank DVD so that you can play it before burning a possible coaster. Unless you are using win98, in DVDFab settings, select SPTI instead of AUTO for I/O control on the same Read page where the error control options are located. If your optical drive is on an IDE controller, make sure DMA is enabled. Make sure you do not have other software running that may be trying to use or control the drive at the same time. You also might try physically uninstalling the drive, then reinstalling it to force windows to reinstall the driver.

Signals advice is solid as always.
…one little FYI re: “Ignore”, this is ok to try on a "problem"disc…you may, in fact, be successful on a particular bkup.
However, this is a bad idea as a general setting.
Since this is occurring on all discs…this isn’t the problem.

It’s not clear to me, does anything rip at all?
Does this error seem to occur randomly?..or at the beginning of the rip?..etc.?

Selecting SPTI did not seem to help either. The program analyses the DVD OK. Then, when the copy process starts, the error message starts usually very quickly at the beginning. Sometimes less than one percent completed. Thanks for the effort. WolfpackRon.

I installed the new DVDFab beta version 5.0.1.5 on my desktop computer and I am still having the same error message mentioned above, “Reading/Writing Error Control.” Still looking for a solution. Thanks in advance, WolfpackRon.

Have you tried the “Ignore” option?

Signals,
Thanks for the reply. I have tried “Ignore All” and that seems to work, but I do not know if I have any hidden errors in playing the DVD. I believe “Ignore” has to be used more than one time to finish a DVD. WolfpackRon.

There is a button on that Settings page to “Ignore all reading errors automatically”; that’s the one I was talking about. Write to a hard drive folder and play back before burning.

Signals,
I have used “Ignore all reading errors automatically”, and copied the DVD to an RW DVD. However, I have not reviewed the finished product. In a previous post, you stated that this method should not be used on a regular basis. Is it possible my dvd burner is defective? WolfpackRon.

Hard to say. Something is clearly not right, and no one else is reporting these symptoms. If the RW does not play back correctly, write the files from the same disc to a folder on your HDD and see if they play OK on your PC. Have you checked to see if your HDD is in PIO mode? Any other apps opening/running slow?

How do I check to see if my HDD is in PIO mode? WolfpackRon.

Ron
Use the forum search tool to find any post by my good friend [B]maineman[/B]. He has excellent links in his sig that will tell you far more about DMA vs. PIO than I could put in a post. I know he posted in the 5.0.2.0 release announcement thread recently and others as well.

[B]///EDIT/// See post #6 in this thread.[/B]

It started after I upgraded to Version 4.1.2.0 and continues with version 5.0.2.0…

The error pops up right as the disc is finished being read. Then the dialog box asking to insert a blank disk pops up over the top of it. There is no way to click retry or anything.

Sometimes it is the standard “Error While Reading! Please Choose What to Do?” error. Other times it suggests using pathplayer.

If I cancel everything and start the process a second time, then it usually works.

Crazy…

Does it do this with all discs?
Try “Always” enabling PathPlayer (with no disc inserted), then inserting disc and processing.
Might also try writing to a HDD folder first instead of to a disc to see if it is really a read error. If that works, you can burn the folder using the Write Data mode.

[quote=W84Wind;2058083]It started after I upgraded to Version 4.1.2.0 and continues with version 5.0.2.0…

The error pops up right as the disc is finished being read. Then the dialog box asking to insert a blank disk pops up over the top of it. There is no way to click retry or anything.

Sometimes it is the standard “Error While Reading! Please Choose What to Do?” error. Other times it suggests using pathplayer.

If I cancel everything and start the process a second time, then it usually works.

Crazy…[/quote]

It has consistently done it the first time just about any disc is inserted. Then it works fine the second go around. This only started with a recent upgrade…

The other strange thing, is that it always does it right at the end and pops up with the error at the same time as it is requesting a blank disc.

I have fiddled with PathPlayer in all different configurations…

Try the HDD folder as Target instead of optical drive.

I tried to backup “Lord of the Rings” using the hard drive “c:\documents and settings\Ron Parks\My Docs\DVDFab\FullDisc\Fellowship” as the “target” and I still get the “Reading/Writing Error Control” error message. Any other suggestions? WolfpackRon.