DVDFab Platinum problems

vbimport

Hi all… This is starting to get discouraging. I have yet to burn a successful disc with these new versions of DVD Fab… I used to use an older version (2.8) with never a problem, except certain discs wouldn’t copy.

Now, I’ve used one of the latest 4.0 versions, and now 5.0. No matter what I do, the discs will not play in my DVD player. I put them in, and the disc seems to read for a moment and then nothing.

I’ve tried dvd-r and dvd+r. I’ve put the discs in my PC and they play. I’ve never had a problem reading any other burned discs in this DVD player, as well as ones that were copied with the older 2.8 DVDFab.

I haven’t tried SAO mode for burning… Would this possibly fix the problem? Also, is there something that controls if the disc is “finalized” or not? My DVD player will only play them if they are “finalized.”

Secondly, I have another bug in this software that is frustrating me. It seems that many times after burning a disc, the recordable device will disappear off the drop down box for a target. I have to restart the computer before DVDFab gives me the option to use the DVD-RW drive for a target again.

Thanks for your help.

You really don’t provide much information to go on.
Can you post a burn log?
Have you tried any other burning software?
What brand media are you using?
How old is your burner?
Is the firmware up to date?
What burning speed are your discs rated for?
What speed are you burning at?
Is your DMA on?
What os are you using?
The list can go on and on.

Hi, thanks for your reply.

Sorry I didn’t post more information… Here goes…

By posting a burn log, do you mean saving the log within the program after the burn is complete? The information listed in this window never appears to have any errors, but I can try another burn and save the log, or is there a place on the hard drive it has saved a more detailed log automatically?

I have used other burning programs to make my own DVDs, such as Roxio with no problems. But DVDFab is the only one I have copied DVDs with.

I have tried DVD-R (Memorex’s), and DVD+R (Philips).

I actually just changed my DVD-RW drive because the old one started to act a little strange and I thought it might be bad with all the bad burns from DVDFab. Originally I was using a LG GSA-H10N, now I am using a brand new Lite-ON LH-20A1L. I just downloaded the newest firmware for the Lite-On, but I am curious how to check the current version before installing the new version?

Both types of discs are rated at 16x, and I have DVDFab burning at “recommended” speed.

How do I check if DMA mode is on?

I am using Windows XP SP2.

There is an option in DVDFab to set booktype to DVD-ROM atleast for DVD+R/RW. Make sure that selection is enabled.

Yes the burn logs are saved automatically.
The default location is:
[B]C:\Documents and Settings[I]Administrator Name[/I]\My Documents\DVDFab\Log[/B]

[quote=appleoddity;2073682]
Both types of discs are rated at 16x, and I have DVDFab burning at “recommended” speed.

[/quote]You may or may not have other problems, but “recommended” is a recipe for coasters. Try 8X, then move up until it quits working.

[quote=signals;2073720]You may or may not have other problems, but “recommended” is a recipe for coasters. Try 8X, then move up until it quits working.[/quote]I too have found that the “recommended” speed seldom (if ever) creates a good copy even though I use Verbatim discs. I now avoid the “recommended” setting entirely.

[quote=Dialysis1;2073676]Can you post a burn log?
[/quote]

Heres the portion of the log file relevant to my most recent burns since yesterday…

DVDFab.txt (22.9 KB)

Yes, I tried a burn with this option on, and with it off. Both responded the same way.

I will try reducing the speed… In order to avoid making more coasters than necessary are there any other recommended settings I should try that are different than default?

Should I try SAO writing mode? Or can someone explain the difference/benefits?

Also, on a side note, I just went back into DVDFab, and now, it is showing my liteon as a target device again, although earlier it would not, and I have not restarted the PC. I read another post about a bug where it doesn’t detect the recordable device if a blank disc is not inserted before they started DVDFab. I tested this theory earlier, but now, without anything changing (a blank disc IS in the drive), I started DVDFab and low and behold theres the LiteOn as a target device.

I just checked DMA modes… Interesting thing… This new LiteON drive is a SATA drive, and all SATA ports are configured in IDE mode. In device manager I have two primary IDE channels, and two secondary IDE channels. All of them are set to DMA mode if available. And for the devices, some say “not applicable” and the others says Mode 5.

Any answers to how to check the current firmware version of the LiteOn drive?

I’m still at a dead end on this software.

This is so darn frustrating.

Not one single copy of anything that I have made with DVDFab has worked on my DVD player. NOTHING! I’m up to v5.0.5.0. I have the latest firmware on my DVD-RW. Every movie plays fine on my PC. No movie plays at all on my DVD player. It reads it, then just stops. My DVD player plays every original just fine, and every single home movie I make just fine. Nothing from DVDFab works. The old 2.8 version worked every single time, I bought this v4 and now v5 program and I’m extremely disappointed.

I’ve tried every single option that has anything to do with burning, that would be significant. Burn speed, mode, booktype, etc.

The only mode I use is SPLIT. I always have done it this way, and plan to continue doing it this way. I strongly suspect this goofball software is not laying out the tracks right. But, who knows.

Please help.

[quote=appleoddity;2088148]I’m still at a dead end on this software.

This is so darn frustrating.

Not one single copy of anything that I have made with DVDFab has worked on my DVD player. NOTHING! I’m up to v5.0.5.0. I have the latest firmware on my DVD-RW. Every movie plays fine on my PC. No movie plays at all on my DVD player. It reads it, then just stops. My DVD player plays every original just fine, and every single home movie I make just fine. Nothing from DVDFab works. The old 2.8 version worked every single time, I bought this v4 and now v5 program and I’m extremely disappointed.

I’ve tried every single option that has anything to do with burning, that would be significant. Burn speed, mode, booktype, etc.

The only mode I use is SPLIT. I always have done it this way, and plan to continue doing it this way. I strongly suspect this goofball software is not laying out the tracks right. But, who knows.

Please help.[/quote]
Have you tried using SAO yet? I would as packet writing some players have trouble reading. I use SAO all the time and all my dvd players can play my back ups made with dvdfab3 dvdfab4 and dvdfab5. Keep the burn speed at half the rated speed and keep the booktype dvd-rom checked. What burning software you using? The VSO, Nero or ImgBurn? I use the VSO burning engine and no problems with that.

I have tried SAO… ANd I use the built in VSO engine. I am writing at half the rated speed of the discs. (8x)

I started looking at write settings again, and compared them to the screen shot a guy posted earlier in the thread. I noticed that my default for DVD-5 size was 4300Mb, and he has his set to 4472. So, I changed that, and am now attempting another burn. I notice that it has changed the way it split the tracks up some. So, maybe this is the secret. I’ll post back when I know.

Anybody have any opinion about that setting?

[quote=appleoddity;2088160]I have tried SAO… ANd I use the built in VSO engine. I am writing at half the rated speed of the discs. (8x)

I started looking at write settings again, and compared them to the screen shot a guy posted earlier in the thread. I noticed that my default for DVD-5 size was 4300Mb, and he has his set to 4472. So, I changed that, and am now attempting another burn. I notice that it has changed the way it split the tracks up some. So, maybe this is the secret. I’ll post back when I know.

Anybody have any opinion about that setting?[/quote]
I use the 4472 you get less compression with it but it burns closer to the edge and makes it easier for burn errors. But if you have a good drive then it should be good EDIT: What brand of discs are you using? Use verbatim or taiyo yudens they are the favourite among most here

please follow the advice given in the other thread to address your dvd drive recognition problem.
http://club.cdfreaks.com/2088158-post7.html

however please post your responses here so your problems will be kept separate.

4300 is just a compression setting, if the burn is good should not effect dvd from being recognized. if you set it higher there is chance of dvd skipping at end.

since you always do split mode please try main movie and check for playback on standalone player.

appleodditty

Have you done a complete uninstall ?Check out stormjumpers guide
I had problems with the vso burn engine untill i did a complete uninstall and re-install of DVDFab Plat.
Look in stormjumpers sig for link.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f116/dvd-fab-products-discussion-thread-210538/

bean55

Ok… I tried 4472 sized burn, with out any change in results. I then went in and deleted several upperfilter and lowerfilter entries (all from Roxio it looks like) and rebooted, and still no go on the burns.

I’m going to give this software one more try, on a completely different computer and see what the results are. I’m also going to try the main movie copy (which is useless to me anyways as far as I am concerned). I’m pretty confident the results will be the same and I can chaulk this software up as garbage, seems how the only other person I know personally who has it also has to do a bunch of funky stuff to make it work right.

I’ll wait until I try the software on this other PC tomorrow, before I share what I really think about this software right now. Lets just say it isn’t pretty.

[QUOTE=appleoddity;2088184]Ok… I tried 4472 sized burn, with out any change in results. I then went in and deleted several upperfilter and lowerfilter entries (all from Roxio it looks like) and rebooted, and still no go on the burns.

I’m going to give this software one more try, on a completely different computer and see what the results are. I’m also going to try the main movie copy (which is useless to me anyways as far as I am concerned). I’m pretty confident the results will be the same and I can chaulk this software up as garbage, seems how the only other person I know personally who has it also has to do a bunch of funky stuff to make it work right.

I’ll wait until I try the software on this other PC tomorrow, before I share what I really think about this software right now. Lets just say it isn’t pretty.[/QUOTE]

frustration is setting in don’t let it get to you I can guarantee dvdfab is not garbage it works great give it another try on another pc.:iagree:

Well, today I used a completely different PC to make a split of a dual layer disc. I also played the copied discs in a different DVD player. The results were exactly the same.

My conclusion, the SPLIT function in DVDFab 4.x and 5.x is completely defunct. Its hard to believe. I am a very experienced computer user, and the process is extremely simple with very few options to try. I’ve tried every option, used different types and brands of media, used different PCs, and different DVD players. The results are the same. The DVD Player begins to read the disc, then stops, with no errors or anything. The DVDs play fine on a PC.

I’d like one person, ANYONE, to post here that has successfully used the SPLIT function to break a dual layer DVD-9 on to two DVD-5s. I have always used this method so that I can retain all the menus and bonus features at maximum quality and save money on discs. It used to work great in the 2.x version. If I’m going to pay for a movie I want all the extras backed up also.

Please, please, please… Just one person that has actually used the SPLIT function successfully. Please post, so I can pick your brain.

I’m certainly not the only one experiencing this problem.