DVDFab Platinum not responding

vbimport

I purchased DVDClonerIV and it was basically garbage so I got my money back and tried your trial version. I had trouble of it not responding but it did a great job at dubbing so I put up with it but now it is doing it all the time. I purchased it now and it hasn’t helped, I even uninstalled and reinstalled and still the same. It also does not finalize the DVD’s completely without again not responding. Very frustrating I seen further down in this forum that someone else received help from a problem similar to mine and I hope you guys come through for me. I have a Dell computer with a standard DVD/CD-ROM drive. Please help this is discouraging thanks.

Please make these changes in common settings
Write Speed…4x or 8x
Write Type of DVD-R Media…SAO Writing
DVD Writable Media (DVD-5) Size…4464 (use customize in drop down )
Set Booktype to DVD-ROM…(put a check in the small box)

PLEASE note the write speed is for DVD5 (SL) disc’s, DVD9 (DL) will be slower due to Disc max write speed which in this case you may be prompted to select a write speed for the DVD9 (DL) when you use them, the slower the burn the better.
For a better understanding on why burning slower is better please read The Burning Factor in my signature below

StormJumper thanks for the timely response I will try doing a clean uninstall and reinstalling I will let you know what happens thanks again.

I will be waiting for your reply back on the results, and don’t forget to make the changes in common settings after you re-install

Oh BTW Welcome to the DVDFab forum :bigsmile:

Hey Storm I hit a snag already I cannot find the hidden application data folder I guess it really must be hidden.

I replied to your PM

I recently tried the trial version of DVDFAB and foung it to be an excellent program to backup my DVD collections.I did not have any problems and the disks that I backed up were great. So, I bought the DVDFAB Platinum version and it also worked fine until I upgraded to version 3.0.8.6.

Now, this version is about worthless.It consistently freezes up, have to use task manager to close it down. It does not matter if I am going from disk to disk or ISO file to disk…what ever movie doesen’t matter either. Reading info on CDFreak’s forum quite a few people are having problems with this version.

I did a clean uninstall using the instructions provided on this forum and reinstalled it and it still freezes up. I use verbatim DL disks in my PX-716 Plextor.When I installed the older version of DVDFAB I did not save it to my HHD. Does anyone know how I can obtain the previous version. Below is the DVDFAB log after trying a DVD copy…which really shows nothing about the actual fail to burn.

Thanks

3/13/2007 7:59:51 PM info ******************** Report session closed *********************
3/13/2007 7:59:41 PM info Current Drive selected : 1:1:0 - PLEXTOR DVDR PX-716A 1.09 [E] (Ide)
3/13/2007 7:59:41 PM info Using Patin-Couffin driver Version 1.37, Internal revision 37 - Async. Access mode
3/13/2007 7:59:41 PM info User default language : 1033 (0x0409h) - English (United States)
3/13/2007 7:59:41 PM info System default language : 1033 (0x0409h) - English (United States)
3/13/2007 7:59:41 PM info DLL Version 2.0.25.278
3/13/2007 7:59:41 PM info DLL C:\Program Files\DVDFab Platinum 3\vso_hwe.dll
3/13/2007 7:59:41 PM info Version 3, 0, 8, 6
3/13/2007 7:59:41 PM info ExeName : "C:\Program Files\DVDFab Platinum 3\DVDFabPlatinum.exe"
3/13/2007 7:59:41 PM info OS : Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)

PLEASE make these changes in common settings
Write Speed…4x or 8x
Write Type of DVD-R Media…SAO Writing
DVD Writable Media (DVD-5) Size…4464 (use customize in drop down )
Set Booktype to DVD-ROM…(put a check in the small box)

PLEASE note the write speed is for DVD5 (SL) disc’s, DVD9 (DL) will be slower due to Disc max write speed which in this case you may be prompted to select a write speed for the DVD9 (DL) when you use them, the slower the burn the better.
For a better understanding on why burning slower is better please read The Burning Factor in my signature below

I have tried those settings and I still have the same problems. I am really fustrated at this point. Like someone else said "don’t fix it if it ain’t broke…my mistake in upgrading.

Hi JDANKAR, sorry for your trouble.
Before you tear out whatever remaining hair you have, I’d be happy to provide you with a previous version of platinum. Just drop me a pm and include your email address. Unless otherwise specified, I’ll send along platinum v.3.0.8.0 (released 02/09) and v. 3.0.8.5 Beta (released 02/27).
This will probably get you by and provide a decent work-around until the next beta (or perhaps final) release…not ideal, but ok temporarily and better than what you have now

BTW, I found v. 3.0.8.6 to be somewhat unstable in my system as well…similar to what you describe, but not as bad. After tinkering with it and my system for a few days, it seemingly is glitch-free… :eek: …fingers crossed. Should it act up again, I’ll revert to 3.0.8.5 Beta (proved very stable for me and to this day has not seen a decrypting failure) and wait it out for the next version.

I too, have had problems with the latest version of DVDFAB Platinum. It continually freezes and does not respond. I always have to manually shut the program down.

I did a clean uninstall of 3.0.8.6 and reinstalled. I experienced the same issues. So, I did another clean uninstall and went back to 3.0.8.0. I have not had the freeze problems since. I hope this continues.

I truly believe there is some issue with 3.0.8.6. Maybe it can be addressed with the next update. DVDFAB is still the best!

Please send me a URL too, same problems with reading “main movie”

Hey Storm thanks for your help I did a clean uninstall and followed your instructions to the letter except the mentioned above just because I am not sure where to find the settings for those. I did change the write speed to 4X however. I am still having problems with it freezing I thought it was going to work perfectly but again finalizing with about 68% completed it freezes and need to use task manager to close. I tried another disk after that and it froze up instantly. How do I change media type, SAO writing, media writable size and booktype? At this point I am ready to try anything frustrated to say the least.

Hi larrypd
When you open common settings and click on write on the left side it opens the write settings page and you will see

Burn Engine
A dropdown window

Write Speed
A dropdown window…4x or 8x here

Write Type of DVD-R Media
A dropdown window…put SAO here

DVD Writable Media (DVD-5) Size
A dropdown window…put 4464 here use customize to enter the size

checkbox…Set booktype to DVD-ROM (Only for DVD+R/RW media)…check the box

Ok changed the settings thanks again. I think I’ll just put up with it until another update comes out.

Ever since I have been visiting forums here and the old dvdidle forum, most problems are related to the garbage that windows leaves behind and programs running in the background. I am amazed the number of people who never do computer maintenance. “Main problem with Windows is that it seems fine until one day it is like someone poured molasses into it” by Keir Thomas author of [I]Beginning Suse Linux[/I] he was make the point that Windows leaves bits and pieces of files and programs that were supposed to been removed when shut down. You have to run registry cleaners and defrag your HD regularly. Also when the HD fills to more than half its capacity it becomes slower, unlike DVD drives that read /write from inside toward the outside a HD does the reverse causing it to have to find space to work which may not be in the same area. There are plenty of maintenance tools that are free to use.

Mack

If you made the changes it should take care of the probblem, Please let me know how it works out [B]OK[/B]
PS… you do know how to open common settings don’t you, when you said
"I think I’ll just put up with it until another update comes out"
makes it sound like you didn’t make the changes :confused:

I have been encoutering similar problems which have started in the last few days. My fab has always worked pretty good… once in a while I come accross a title I cannot decript, but I am certain everyone has. Sometimes I see another program that attempts to load, I have a Dell Pentium 4 desktop that has a Sonic viewer and it prompts me to register the product… I cancel it and continue with Fab. Lately I cannot decript anything as soon as I click to do a main movie it locks up and I have to go to task manager to get out… What gives??

Welcome to the CDFreaks forum, since you have experienced this problem last few days that is the indication that some thing have been downloaded into your system registry that interfere with DVDFAB program, the best thing to do restore your system back to may be 2 weeks ago see if the problem will be resolved.