DVDFab Platinum Destroyed Source DVD!

vbimport

There’s no shortage of irony here, that CSS Region Free almost cooked my drive last week and now DVDFab is pummeling my original movies discs.

Really I suppose I did the destroying due to lapse judgment, but DVDFab was the facilitator with questionable default settings.

When ripping a DVD last night, my source was on the DVD in my drive of course, but I forgot to set the target for the ripped files and the default ‘Target’ in DVDFab was my DVD drive itself. I realized this about 20% in and immediately canceled the rip. and did it over with a new target set to my hard drive but the damage was already done. I later found the the DVD source had a few random scenes cut and burned out of order. Permanent irreversible damage to my original dvd movie disc.

Is there a way to prevent this from occuring again in DVDFab? Can there be a less “hazardous” default setting for the target?

Was your source disk a pressed disk (retail) or were you trying to copy a burned disk? It is not possible for a pressed disk or a burned disk to be damaged by a dvd burner unlesss the disk was a rewritable disk. Please explain what type the source was and could you see the contents in explorer.

[B][I][U]impossible. [/U][/I][/B]

dvdfab will eject the original dvd before trying to burn. and if the dvd has data it will tell you to insert an empty disc. :cool:

Retail region 3 of Drunken Master.

[quote=troy512;2080792][B][I][U]impossible. [/U][/I][/B]

dvdfab will eject the original dvd before trying to burn. and if the dvd has data it will tell you to insert an empty disc. :cool:[/quote]

Not impossible because I had to cancel at 20% to stop it. Source was DVD in drive, and Target was DVD Drive. Again, I had to stop it at 20%.

Unless the ripped video file included chapters out of sequence and that’s what I threw into DivX Author and encoded, DVDFab hosed the disc. In DVDFabs defense, I never viwed the sopurce DVD before this (just had it sent to me from Hong Kong DVD Distributor) and I also never previewed the rip in DivX Author. Though, I should note, I only selected the video portion, Chinese Audio , and English subs when I imported into DivX Author, I never took chapters or menus etc. This is common practice for me.,

It’s possible the disc is defective/damaged, though it looks normal.

I’m not sure i quite understanding this…you put a store bought disc in or a pre-burned disc in to rip. Then the same disc got burned?

Had to be defective source disk, just tried to make the latest fab version do what you said it did, NO WAY NO HOW WOULD IT EVEN TRY TO OVER WRITE THE DISK

Hi :slight_smile:
DVDFab caused my car to run up a tree!!! :eek: :rolleyes: :bigsmile:

I am sorry but there is no way that using DVDFab can cause any burning to source disc or chapters to alter order.

Agreed Zebs, its impossible under any circumstances, I don’t know what the problem is but its sure not that.:disagree:

Only way i can see this happening is if this was a homemade disc to start with and wasn’t closed/finalized.

Hi :slight_smile:
If you didn’t have a closed source disc. (In other words trying to backup an already backed up disc.)
This problem should still not arise due to insufficient space etc.
Also generally when using this type of program adding new material usually ends up with the first track/data written being inaccessible.

Even then it would have to be an RW disc and it would have erased and ejected before writing.

Not sure what isn’t clear. I put a retail DVD in and DVDFab ripped it to itself about 20% before I actually noticed and stopped it.

You can deny it, but it happened to me. Whether or not that was the cause for the damaged video, I don;t know. But I can say I had to stop ripping it to itself at 20%.

I’m trying to give the benefit of the doubt to the OP lol

[quote=Kung-Fu Theater;2080820]Not sure what isn’t clear. I put a retail DVD in and DVDFab ripped it to itself about 20% before I actually noticed and stopped it.

You can deny it, but it happened to me. Whether or not that was the cause for the damaged video, I don;t know. But I can say I had to stop ripping it to itself at 20%.[/quote]
You might have to look elsewhere for what happened to your disc, because your theory is flawed. No software will overwrite a pressed dvd. None.

So you were just ripping to the HDD actually and then you stopped it and then changed the path of the rip and then it ripped to that directory? Then you burned a disc?

If so i usually go to the folder that it was ripped to and delete that file(s) close the app and re-open it and then change it to where i want it to go.

[QUOTE=Kung-Fu Theater;2080820]Not sure what isn’t clear. I put a retail DVD in and DVDFab ripped it to itself about 20% before I actually noticed and stopped it.

You can deny it, but it happened to me. Whether or not that was the cause for the damaged video, I don;t know. But I can say I had to stop ripping it to itself at 20%.[/QUOTE]

At 20% ripping it was not burning anything it writes to a temp file first then when it is completely ripped it burns to whatever is chosen for the output, so your premiss is not correct.

[QUOTE=~Jethro~;2080826]At 20% ripping it was not burning anything it writes to a temp file first then when it is completely ripped it burns to whatever is chosen for the output, so your premiss is not correct.[/QUOTE]Exactly Jethro and that’s what i’m getting at in my post #15.

Sorry off topic, Bob I was typing when you and Alan were posting. Sometime I type really slow…Really had to answer phone in the middle of my reply

But you were just as sure that FairUse Wizard didn’t encrypt. Even going as far as using caps to emphasize that point in another thread. Then a poster came back and agreed with me and confirmed that it does in fact decrypt.

I’ve both encountered and heard of others encountering unprecedented anomalies in other software, so I won;t be surprised if that happend here. though I’m certainly open to suggestions to why I had to manually stop it at 20% ripping to itself.

EDIT: And it seems Jethro might have ruled it out on post #16 with the best techincal rationalization I’ve heard yet. Which would then mean, either the rip was bad, or the retail disc is (would be a first).

I think if you would go find those temp files and delete them and start all over doing it the way you had planned you will find you will get a perfect rip and burn.

It would worth a try before you take the disc in question back for replacement.