DVDFab Platinum Burn Inconsistencies

Hello! I’ve been lurking and using the search function on this forum for the past several weeks to learn about backing up DVD’s. I’m new to this and I have a question. First, my preliminary information.

My computer is an HP Media Center a1268c Desktop PC (Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 with Update Rollup 2 and Microsoft SP 2) with a Lite-On SHM-165H6S burner with the most recent firmware (HP-16).

I have a large DVD collection and I’m interested in backing up same. I down loaded the trial version of DVDFab Platinum recently to determine if it would be the program of choice for me to backup my collection.

I want to use the best media available but I have encountered a problem. After extensive attempts, I have found that Verbatim 16x discs (DVD+R: MCC-004-000 and DVD-R: MCC 03RG20) do not work for me.

They seem to burn successfully but upon playback they freeze or stutter during playback. I have burned over 40 discs of both Verbatim –R and +R with the same results. I’ve tried burning at every available speed from slowest to fastest and tried various DVD movies to backup.

However, other media such as DVD-R: CMC MAG. AE1 (HP, 8x), DVD+R: CMC MAG-E01-000 (HP, 8x) and DVD+R-DL: RITEK-D01-001 (Memorex, 2.4x) burn acceptably with only an occasional bad burn.

The best burns for me have been with DVD+RW: SONY-S11-000 (Sony, 4x). These discs burn perfectly every time!

Aside from the Sony discs, all the others mentioned above are bottom line cheap media and I would prefer to use the best media available. I worry that cheap media will not last as long. I also am worried that the Sony rewritable discs will not be suitable for long term storage either (as compared to comparable write once discs).

I still have about 150 of these Verbatim discs left. Is there any way I might be able to get them to work in my application? Or, would it be better just to write off the Verbatim discs and look for other quality media (such as Taiyo Yuden) that might work with my burner?

Or are my fears about the Sony RW discs unfounded?

Should I perhaps steer clear of 16x media and instead buy only quality media with 8x speed ratings or less?

I only have 20 days left for my evaluation period on the DVDFab Platinum program and I want to be confident that this program works for my needs. I need to establish some consistent burn results to bolster my confidence in this program before I make the decision to purchase it.

This is a wonderful forum and I have learned a lot in my short time here. :bow:

Thank you. :clap:

What speed are you burning the Verbatims at? Are these old stock or new stock. About 10 burns in with the one & only 100 pack spindle of new stock that I bought, I am finding they are very inconsistant. This is just my own personal experience.

[FONT=Times New Roman]I have one 100 spindle cake box of Verbatim 16x DVD–R, one 100 spindle cake box of Verbatim 16x DVD+R that are new stock that I purchased just a week ago at Office Max. I have one 30 spindle cake box of Verbatim 16x DVD+R LightScribe discs that I bought when I purchased the computer last year (summer 2006).[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]I have tried burning the discs at all available speeds using both the VSO engine and the Nero ROM. I’ve used the “Recommended” and the “Slowest” speeds and everything in between. Every once in awhile I get a good burn but when I attempt to repeat the burn using the same settings and the same type disc, I can’t repeat the success. I am also getting the same bad results with a 50 pack spindle of TDK 16x DVD+R discs that I bought last week at Best Buy.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]However, when I use lower rated speed discs (8x or less) and use the “Recommended” speed, it results in a good burn. It would seem that the speed rating of the disc is the critical factor. The lower the speed rating the better the burn.[/FONT]

Hi Senor Bag
when you do a backup do you disable or stop most of the programs that run in the background :confused: the more you stop from running in the background the better
when you have programs running during the backup will and can cause issues due to the fact that the CPU gets over worked, also try to stop all internet traffic during backup if you are doing a backup and your anti-virus or firewall checks for updates they will cause problems if they need to update

[quote=StormJumper;1974066]Hi Senor Bag
when you do a backup do you disable or stop most of the programs that run in the background :confused: the more you stop from running in the background the better
when you have programs running during the backup will and can cause issues due to the fact that the CPU gets over worked, also try to stop all internet traffic during backup if you are doing a backup and your anti-virus or firewall checks for updates they will cause problems if they need to update[/quote]
[FONT=Times New Roman]Thanks for the input StormJumper. As a matter of fact I’m glad you brought that up. To determine if that was in fact the problem I performed a few tests. I burned a bunch of the Verbatim discs while off the Internet and all background programs shut down with the Task Manager. I made sure the CPU was 100% devoted to the burning process, yet it made no improvement in burn success.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]I also burned some of the Sony 4x DVD+RW discs while on the Internet and purposely made sure that my antivirus, firewall and spyware programs were doing updates (the hard drive was working like crazy). I even did some multi-tab web browsing at the same time. These backups were perfect![/FONT]

I would also check the speed ratings for your stand alone player because I recently had a problem playing a faster rated disc on my stand alone even though it is not that old.

[FONT=Times New Roman]That is indeed something I considered dustyobones, however, these bad burn discs won’t even play properly in the same drive that burned them. My other stand alone players will easily play a properly burned 16x disc without a problem.[/FONT]

Do you have the free app. CD-DVD Speed by Nero ? It’s a great app. to analyse your finnished burn. It’s a free app. You might try it to look at one of your bad burns ok. ~ Mike

[FONT=Times New Roman]Yes I do have CD-DVD Speed but unfortunately I don’t know how to use the program as of yet. I put a few of the bad burns into my drive and ran CD-DVD and clicked on several of the tabs and waited for the results, but it was all Greek to me.:confused:[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]I was able to establish that there were a lot of burn errors as opposed to disc flaws (i.e. bad disc surface). However, I’m new to all this and have a lot to learn so my basic interpretation of the data provided by CD-DVD Speed is very elementary.:o[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]It seems kind of counter intuitive to me to get such bad results with Verbatim 16x discs while at the same time getting great burns with cheap (low reputation such as Memorex) and slow media.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]Also, the Sony 4x RW discs I’m using have worked perfectly every time! I just don’t get it. However, at the same time I guess I should consider this to be a blessing?:bigsmile:[/FONT]

maybe you should take the remaining verbatims back to the store & insist that they test them.

OR try burning them with difrferent software, to eliminate softwware as the cause. e.g. try the free IMGburn application or switch between the VSO & Nero options in DVDfab.

there is also a free app called DVD identifier that will read the blank media codes & confirm that you have bought genuine branded media.

@ senor bag

Rip your movie with dvdfab platinum & save as an iso. Set your drive booktype to dvd-rom. Burn with imgburn. Only use verbatim and burn speed x4.

Hey man, I’ve had a lot of problems with verbatim too. I had a stack a while ago when I used to use dvdxcopy and it would be like playing burning roulette.

I switched to dvdfab and got a new set of Phillips 8x, and never had a problem. Couldn’t get anymore Phillips, so when I ran out I bought some more verbatim, thinking it was just xcopy causing my issues.

I now have movies that freeze halfway through and require me to skip a chapter to watch. I think these disks are basically good for paperweights or data backup.

And x2, on stopping all your programs when copying.

I really think you must of gotten a bad batch of Verb’s. I’ve been using them for the past year or more and haven’t had any problems with them. The only time I’ve had any problems was when my Lite-On 1633s burner started to go bad. I changed to a LG H-22 and all of my problems went away. How long have you been using your burner ? ~ Mike

[quote=cyspur;1974950]@ senor bag

Rip your movie with dvdfab platinum & save as an iso. Set your drive booktype to dvd-rom. Burn with imgburn. Only use verbatim and burn speed x4.[/quote]
[FONT=Times New Roman]Brilliant! I followed your advice cyspur and got a perfect copy. The problem it seems to me is the burn speed.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]When I use either the VSO Burning Engine or NERO from within DVDFab Premium it detects that I have put a 16x disc into the burner and it only allows burn speeds of 6x, 8x, 12x, 16x, slowest, fastest and recommended.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]If prior to starting the whole process I choose a default setting of 4x to burn the disc, DVDFab Premium over rides this selection and leaves me with the aforementioned default writing speeds. Obviously, 6x is too fast for my burner.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]Is there any method I can use to make the burner in DVDFab Premium burn my 16x discs at 4x? I’ve looked at the tutorial and played around with the write settings but I haven’t found an answer.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]Burning the ISO from DVDFab Premium with ImgBurn at 4x with my Verbatim 16x discs did the trick! If I could only get the burner in DVDFab Premium to slow down to 4x I’m reasonably sure that would work.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]I’ve tried the DVDFab Premium “slowest” burn setting but that doesn’t work with my Verbatim 16x discs.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]Thanks again cyspur for your input. You were right on the money! And speaking of money, if I can get DVDFab Premium to work for me with just one or two clicks I fully intend to buy the program. I just have to figure out how to slow down the burner.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]Cyspur just proved the great worth of this forum!:iagree:[/FONT]

Hi Senor Bag,

Glad to hear you got at least some resolution of your problem with the help of cyspur.

To answer your question about your 165H6S with the HP-16 firmware, I’m certain this is not a failure of the drive, but more than likely, the firmware.
The 165H6S is most assuredly capable of handling the verbs and at reasonable speeds.
I own a LiteOn SHM-165H6S (liteon fw HSOD) and I use it primarily as a reader, but it has done its share of burning on a wide variety of media…including MCC 004 (Verbatim 16X).
Absolutely no problems
It’s a very reliable and consistent burner up to 12X. It will burn at 16X, but I typically burn at 6-8X, depending on the TY or Verb media.

HP is a PITA with their firmware, very proprietary. I’m not sure how old your rig is and your current warranty status, but there is no reason that you can’t flash this drive with official LiteOn firmware.
You would however, void any active hp warranty.

This can get a bit complicated as you would need to use a utility called
FlashFix. This will patch the drive and disable "…the model/version checkup function of the flasher…"
Before you attempt any kind of firmware flash, I’d recommend you read over the info on cdf’s Liteon subforum. You should back up your current EEPROM, see:
EEPROM Utility for LiteOn/Sony/BenQ CD/DVD-Writers
and read over the tips, guides and tools here:
Comprehensive LiteOn Tools Collection.

There’s tons of info and plenty of help here on cdf if you choose to go this route.

Also, if this seems a bit scary or just too much, for another $30-35 you can just throw another burner of your choice in your rig…:wink:
Besides this one, I’ve got another litey… LH-20A1S, a Benq 1655 and a Samsung SH-S203B in my newer rig…this doesn’t count the other rigs in my family or the 6 liteons (they all still work) and assorted others on the shelf.
You can never have too many burners…can’t wait to buy my next one…:bigsmile:

Please post a burn log from Fab (VSO burn engine). The default location is:
C:\Documents and Settings[I]Administrator Name[/I]\My Documents\DVDFab\Log

Sorry, I think I made a mistake and posted the wrong log. Let me regroup on this end and try again!

OK,

I was just starting to look it over and saw this burn:

1/3/2008 8:43:58 PM info Writing speed requested x16.0, effective x16.0
1/3/2008 8:43:58 PM info Available write speed: 16x, 12x, 8x, 6x
1/3/2008 8:43:58 PM info Media ID: MCC-004-00

I also saw a successful burn with MCC 03RG20
Are these discs out of the same spindles that now refuse to burn?

Ok, here’s one I just did. It burned just fine! Just played several parts of the DVD that normally would freeze on this movie and it worked perfectly. I burned it at 8x and hoped it would become a coaster for this log:

1/11/2008 9:13:36 PM info ******************** Report session closed *********************
1/11/2008 9:13:10 PM info Media removed. Burning layer not ready to write
1/11/2008 9:13:08 PM info Finalization Time 00:00:37 - Total completion time 00:08:05
1/11/2008 9:12:31 PM info Write finished in 00:07:28 - Finalization start here. Avg. burn rate 7.83
1/11/2008 9:05:50 PM info Lead-in burning time (mS) 0
1/11/2008 9:05:02 PM info Write started 2158880 sectors to write
1/11/2008 9:05:02 PM info Writing speed requested x8.0, effective x8.0
1/11/2008 9:05:02 PM info Available write speed: 16x, 12x, 8x, 6x
1/11/2008 9:05:02 PM info Media ID: MCC-004-00
1/11/2008 9:05:02 PM info Media type: DVD+R
1/11/2008 9:05:02 PM info Ultra DMA mode 2 (ATA33)
1/11/2008 9:05:02 PM info Scanned files #9, folder #2 - total size 4420261888 b. (4.12 Gb.)
1/11/2008 9:05:02 PM info Inserted media type : DVD+R
1/11/2008 9:05:02 PM info Write started
1/11/2008 8:58:20 PM info New media inserted. Burning layer is ready to write
1/11/2008 8:58:20 PM info Compatible media types : DVD-R, DVD-RW Seq., DVD-RW RO, DVDRAM, DVD+R, DVD+RW, CD-R, CD-RW, DL DVD+R, DL DVD-R
1/11/2008 8:58:20 PM info New Drive selected : 5:0:0 - LITE-ON DVDRW SHM-165H6S HP16 [E] (Ide)
1/11/2008 8:56:53 PM info New media inserted. Burning layer is ready to write
1/11/2008 8:55:00 PM info Current Drive selected : 5:0:0 - LITE-ON DVDRW SHM-165H6S HP16 [E] (Ide)
1/11/2008 8:55:00 PM info Using Patin-Couffin driver Version 1.37, Internal revision 37 - Async. Access mode
1/11/2008 8:55:00 PM info User default language : 1033 (0x0409h) - English (United States)
1/11/2008 8:55:00 PM info System default language : 1033 (0x0409h) - English (United States)
1/11/2008 8:55:00 PM info DLL Version 2.1.3.324
1/11/2008 8:55:00 PM info DLL C:\Program Files\DVDFab Platinum 4\vso_hwe.dll
1/11/2008 8:55:00 PM info Version 4, 0, 3, 2
1/11/2008 8:55:00 PM info ExeName : "C:\Program Files\DVDFab Platinum 4\DVDFabPlatinum.exe"
1/11/2008 8:55:00 PM info OS : Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
1/11/2008 8:55:00 PM info ******************** Report session started ********************

And to answer your question, the MCC 03RG20 and MCC-004-00 are from two different Verbatim spindles I recently purchased. Both have given me bad burns.

As for the HP-16 firmware, I suspected it might be less than perfect for my needs. But I was uncertain if I could or should flash the drive with the “real” LiteOn firmware for fear that I would end up creating a boat anchor.

So, I’ll head over to the LiteOn subforum and study up on how to flash the drive. My experience with HP firmware is that the original manufacturer usually has better drivers and firmware for their products than does HP.

My system is almost 2 years old now and I’m not worried about warranty aspects. If I make a boat anchor out of the drive I hope you’ll be kind enough to suggest a good replacement?

Thanks very much for your help maineman. I’m taking this step by step in the hope that I don’t fall off a cliff in the process. :bigsmile:

As I think everyone call tell, I don’t know what I’m doing yet but I’m learning.

[QUOTE=Senor Bag;1975602]Ok, here’s one I just did. It burned just fine! Just played several parts of the DVD that normally would freeze on this movie and it worked perfectly. I burned it at 8x and hoped it would become a coaster for this log:

And to answer your question, the MCC 03RG20 and MCC-004-00 are from two different Verbatim spindles I recently purchased. Both have given me bad burns.[/QUOTE]
Right, I realize the 03’s and 04’s are from different spindles, but I was asking were there bad burns in the spindles that produced the successful burns (the initial burn logs that were posted and deleted).
Thanks, you answered that.

I see that you had a successful burn at 8x, which should be a decent speed, given the ratings of your burner and media.
I also see that back on post #3, you had repeated failures with various burn speeds.
So, you’re not able to reproduce, at least with any consistency, successful burns with this speed (8X) and media?

Upgrade toPlatinum 4.0.5.0.
I don’t see whether you using Packet or SAO for writing.
Be certain you choose [B]SAO[/B] and stick with the MCC 004’s, for now anyway.
Stay at 8X for your burn speed and see if your consistency improves.

Maybe I missed it, but have you made any changes to your system prior to the failures, software installs, etc.

When did you flash to HP-16 firmware?