Dvdfab platinum 3.0.8 upgrade -> nothing works

I have been using and recommending DVDFab to my friends, and I have liked it a lot, but after upgrading to 3.0.8, I am having problems.

When I try to copy a DVD to an iso image, I get this, regardless of the DVD:
12:46:37: Analyzing of DVD started
12:46:40: Analyzing of DVD completed successfully
12:46:40: Copy process started
12:58:53: Copy process completed successfully
12:58:53: Create ISO process started
12:58:58: Task_2 failed! Error=500
12:58:59: Process failed!

I have set and reset DMA, and my region codes for stripping are correctly set.

The TEMP and image destination directories are on a firewire-connected external HDD with over 100 GB of free space.

I have been using version 2 for several months, and I have not had a single problem. Same system. The only change has been the upgrade to version 2.

I cannot find any information on Error 500.

[QUOTE=mcooper]I have been using version 2 for several months, and I have not had a single problem. Same system. The only change has been the upgrade to version 2.
QUOTE]
Hello mcooper
Welcome to the DVDFab Forum
when you upgraded did you also send for your new key :confused:
when you upgrade from version 2 to version 3 you can’t use the old key that was first given to you, PLUS version 2 has not been used or downloaded for about 6 or 8 months I think

Yes, I got a new key and imported it. There are no problems with my license or anything.

I just tried to copy from DVD to DVD, which has always worked well with version 2. I have never (until know) seen a failure message box. Since I cannot create iso images, either, I don’t think it is a media problem. I have tried four DVDs, but I was only able to copy one so far.

Does anyone know what I should do? Can I uninstall version 3 and reinstall version 2?

Crash Log:
2007/02/11 16:11:10 info Media removed. Burning layer not ready to write
2007/02/11 16:11:07 error Write error at 514800 (16) - Code 03 0C 08 [Write error, recovery fail]
2007/02/11 16:05:33 info Lead-in burning time (mS) 3
2007/02/11 16:05:33 info Write started 1599040 sectors to write
2007/02/11 16:05:33 info Init success: DVD-R packet writing
2007/02/11 16:05:33 info Writing speed requested x4.0, effective x4.0
2007/02/11 16:05:32 info Available write speed: 4x, 4x, 2x, 2x, 1x, 1x
2007/02/11 16:05:32 info Media ID: MXL RG02
2007/02/11 16:05:32 info DMA Enabled
2007/02/11 16:05:32 info Scanned files #12, folder #2 - total size 3273728000 b. (3.05 Gb.)
2007/02/11 16:05:32 info Inserted media type : DVD-R
2007/02/11 16:05:32 info Write started
2007/02/11 16:05:16 info New media inserted. Burning layer is ready to write

Event Log:
12:46:37: Analyzing of DVD started
12:46:40: Analyzing of DVD completed successfully
12:46:40: Copy process started
12:58:53: Copy process completed successfully
12:58:53: Create ISO process started
12:58:58: Task_2 failed! Error=500
12:58:59: Process failed!

First uninstall version 3; run registry cleaner, reboot and try to install version 3 one more time before going back to version 2. Once you get the latest version up and running you will be happy.

Hi mcooper,

Please try to copy DVD to DVD folder at first, then use “Write Data” to convert DVD folder to ISO image to see the result.

Best Regards,
Fengtao

Thank you for the reply. I did as you suggested. I copied the DVD to a folder, which worked just fine. Then I used “Write Data” to convert to iso image, but it failed as soon as it started.

Here is the event log:
23:11:02: Create ISO process started
23:11:06: Task_2 failed! Error=500
23:11:07: Process failed!

Do you think it is a bug, or can you suggest some other way around this?

I love dvdfab, and I have suggested it to several people, one of whom bought it right there after I showed him how well version 2 worked for me.

Waiting for reply and thankful,
mcooper

Try using SAO and not Packet Writing, it may make a difference.

Hi all,

I’m with mcooper all the way! :confused:

Using 3.0.8.0 trial I try to copy directly to .ISO on my LinkStation NAS and get mcooper’s screendump.

fengtao graciously provided an error code list in another thread. Only, it doesn’t list Error=500! Please, anyone enlighten mcooper and myself? :slight_smile:

However, if I switch target from NAS to local HD everything is fine! But then I have the hassle of copying from local HD to NAS…

Looking forward to hearing from you.
Regards,
Anders

AndersL, is you NAS connected as a mapped drive under WindowsXP? I assume it is. I am writing to HDD, but it is an external HDD connected by USB2.0. In an earlier post, I wrote that it was connected by FireWire, but I was looking at the wrong HDD. However, that shouldn’t matter, since the connection type should be encapsulated by the OS.

Could version 3 have a problem writing to externally-connected media?

Sure, the NAS is mapped in XP, but it doesn’t need a driver or anything, it just hangs of the router and has an embedded web-page for administration purposes, so have full rights.

I suppose you touch on something there, mcooper, but there might also be an issue with Windows. I run with administrator rights, so should not be problem there.

Knowing what Error=500 means might give a pointer if not a solution.

Regards,
Anders

Don’t think so. I have an external HDD and burner on USB and use the HDD as the target for folders/ISOs much as you are trying to do. Another user had this exact problem last month. I assume from the way the thread ended that the reinstall fixed the problem. Hopefully Fengtao will check back on this thread later and can shed some light on the mysterious error 500.

500 is a general DVD drive error failed to auto load.

Mack

I switched it from Packet Writing to SAO and tried again, but I get the same error:
10:39:53: Create ISO process started
10:39:59: Task_2 failed! Error=500
10:40:00: Process failed!

I reinstalled last night, and I have exited all other applications and killed unnecessary services. I am still trying to write the ISO on an external HDD.

Thank you, bigmacnc. So error 500 is a DVD drive error failed to load…

I am getting this error when trying to write an iso file, which does not use the DVD drive, so perhaps there is a module that acts as a virtual DVD drive for the purpose of making the iso file?

I am just guessing now.

I just created an ISO file successfully, and I am burning it to DVD-RW to make sure it is okay.

I simply changed my output directory from the external HDD to the second partition on my local drive. The temporary directory is still the external HDD, but by changing the output directory and the target location of the ISO file, I was able to get around the problem.

To recap:
I could not make an ISO file or copy DVDs with the new version upgrade. I got Error=500 or error 500 when the program started to create the iso file. Reinstalling dvdfab 3 did not fix it. Switching from packet writing to SAO did not fix it. The problem only occurred when trying to use an external HDD as the output location. Switching to a partition (not necessarily the system partition) on the local hard disk fixed it.

Thank you very much for your time and comments, and I hope that FengTao can patch this problem soon.

DVDFab is truly superb software.

FengTao, if you would like me to try some variations to help you diagnose the problem, please tell me what you would like me to do. I now have a workaround to allow me to backup DVDs, but I look forward to the patch/ update that will make version 3 as easy to use as Version 2.

Just a thought: is the file system on the external drive NTFS or FAT32?

Oooh…good thought… :iagree:

I didn’t think of that. The external disk G is FAT32, and the internal data partition D is NTFS. I have a second external HDD which is NTFS, so I can give that a shot and report back to you.

It would be nice to get this out of the way soon and get version 3 up to snuff. Fengtao really deserves credit for this version. I love the new interface and features.

Also, the Generic mobile option’s conversion to DivX works just fine with the external HDD D (FAT32).