DVDFab => Palm TX

vbimport

Trying to put movies on my Palm to watch on the go. Has anyone had any experience with the best resolution option? The Palm TX is 320 x 480 w/ 16k colors…but I dont see an exact match in the Generic option.

Thanks in advance.

[QUOTE=Noobface;1657782]Trying to put movies on my Palm to watch on the go. Has anyone had any experience with the best resolution option? The Palm TX is 320 x 480 w/ 16k colors…but I dont see an exact match in the Generic option.

Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]

I know this is grave digging, but I was going to start my own thread about it anyway.

I guess this is my formal way of saying bump.

I finally gave up trying to get videos to load directly onto the memory card more than a year ago and bought an Archos. Ting, one of the DVDFab authors, worked with me off and on for several weeks but we could not get anything that the device would accept. There are many more options now in DVDFab Mobile, or you might try making a generic AVI and then converting it to ASF. I think one of the sample videos that came on it was ASF. This is not a great movie device even if you could get it to work–inadequate color depth and low contrast. Would be handy to have a few episodes of House or Lost on it though for those long airport/expressway delays.

[QUOTE=signals;2211398]I finally gave up trying to get videos to load directly onto the memory card more than a year ago and bought an Archos. Ting, one of the DVDFab authors, worked with me off and on for several weeks but we could not get anything that the device would accept. There are many more options now in DVDFab Mobile, or you might try making a generic AVI and then converting it to ASF. I think one of the sample videos that came on it was ASF. This is not a great movie device even if you could get it to work–inadequate color depth and low contrast. Would be handy to have a few episodes of House or Lost on it though for those long airport/expressway delays.[/QUOTE]

Now there’s one I didnt think of, lost. THAT would be nice to have on my palm.

Anyway, I got it to work last night, without using DVDFab.

[B][U]Converting[/U][/B]

I used Handbreak to convert a DVD I had in my DVD drive to (MPEG-2 xVid) .AVI. Framerate was same as source. Cropping was auto. Anamorphic set to none, adn resolution 480 (width) by 320 (height).

I didn’t mess with anything under filters; mainly because I do not know what any of that means.

I used two pass encoding, (turbo first pass selected) with a target size of 450 mb (final size was 455, close enough).

The Audio section depends ultimatley on your preference; albeit I do not know which audio codecs are supported by your palm. (.MP3 worked fine for me)

The last three tabs in handbreak I left alone aswell.

After that, the file is ready to be transfered onto your SD card.

[B][U]Transfering[/U][/B]
I would NOT use the hotsync app to get this onto your SD card. (Not unless you’re that turtle from the verizon commerical anyway…)

I suggest using a card reader (if you don’t have one, check your printer; some printers have card readers) to transfer the .avi file onto your SD card (I believe it should be placed in the DCIM folder, but TCPMP [TCPMP will make sense in the next section] allows you to browse your SD card for files anyway, so it shouldn’t matter where you decide)

After that, you’re ready to play the movie.

[B][U]Playing[/U][/B]
I use and suggest TCPMP, (The Core Pocket Media Player) a freeware media player for the palm OS.

This little gem has been abandonned for awhile, and has a simple gui. The author decided to go commerical with the software; I don’t remember under which name he continued developement.

Bottom line, it plays a whole slew of media files the palm tx doesn’t like to play even with the proper codecs installed. If I recall coreectly, TCPMP has optional codecs available, but I did not need to download any to get my movie playing.

TCPMP is available here: http://picard.exceed.hu/tcpmp/test/ (its the first link).

[B][U]Overall[/U][/B]

Overall I was satasfied, if not impressed by the end result. Post back with any sugestions to this guide, with any comments and results!

Hope it helped!
nNJ

p.s. I wasn’t trying to be condecending by typing it all out as if you needed your hand held signals, It was merely for the benefit of anyone else having issues playing movies on the palm tx.