DVDFAB on Linux

vbimport

I was a little curious and decided to run an experiment to see if DVDFAB V5.0 would run under Linux. I’m using the Ubuntu distro version 8.04 with WINE version 0.9.61 installed.

DVDFAB did install and I was actually able to rip a DVD with this.

One thing that I couldn’t do was to have the application recognize my license key. I copied and pasted it into the registration window when asked and it appeared to recognize it when the window popped up saying “Thank you! The product will be restarted to enable the registered version.” After restart though, the registration window opened back up again.

Has anyone else tried any of this? Does anyone have any suggestions on entering the license key?

Thanks in advance…

I have tried it it with the latest DvdFab 4 and it would not recognize my license key either.

Please add a test report or comment in the Wine Appdb,
http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=11565

If you’re feeling ambitious, also file a bug at http://bugs.winehq.org

Have you guys checked that the registration key is being stored in your WINE registry? I’m using DVDFab Platinum via WINE on Debian here.

To check, open a Terminal and enter [B]wine regedit[/B]

Look for the DVDFab entry in the Software section of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.

If it is, then the problem appears to be with retrieval of the license key rather than a failure to write it to the registry. Possibly, the DVDFab developer’s change over to Visual Studio 2008 has something to do with it.

Yes I have the same problem trying out linuxmint for the heck of it. My keys for ver 4 or 5 wont work. also the free version wont allow changing setups.
Perhaps it just wont work with linux., although in trying to make a back up it did start the process.

JT

The actual program works well enough here, the only problem in use I’ve encountered was that ripping one disc after another the DVDFab would occasionally fail to scan the newly inserted disc. A restart resolves this issue.

The real problem is that for some reason DVDFab 4.1.2.0 and beta 5.0.1.2/5.0.1.5 fail to read the registration code from the WINE registry despite it being stored there correctly.

Hi All,
I’m new here and as a matter of fact new to Linux. I’ve been using DVD Fab to back up my DVDs for a while now but was wondering if anyone has tried running it with Wine on Mandriva Spring 2008 yet? Not really sure how to open it in Wine either… :-(. Real rookie here. Appreciate any help.

What’re you using as window manager? KDE? GNOME?

In GNOME the steps to install are:

[B]1.[/B] locate DVDFab installer .exe file
[B]2.[/B] right click on .exe file and select Open With Other Application if Open With WINE isn’t at the top of the popup menu
[B]3.[/B] locate WINE in the either the Installed or Available Applications list, or type [B]wine[/B] into the [B]Use A Custom Command[/B] drop down

That’ll start the DVDFab installer. Once done, depending on how you WINE install is configured, you should have DVDFab listed and available to start in your Applications->WINE menu. If not, opening a Terminal and typing [B]wine “C:/Program Files/DVDFab 5/DVDFab.exe”[/B] should work (replace DVDFab 5 with DVDFab 4 if you’re using that version).

Thanks Andy, I’ll have to wait till I get home from work to try it out. By the way I’m using the KDE desktop, should have stated that in the first place…:o. Told you I’m a rookie :iagree:.

KDE should have something similar to the Open With… function in it’s right click popup menu, if not via a Terminal - [B]wine “the location of the DVDFab installer.exe”[/B] should do the trick.

'fraid I’m not too familiar with KDE!

WINE BugZilla entry created:

http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=13114

Has anyone here contacted Fengtao about this problem? I only use the free DVDFab ripper myself with the latest 5.0.2.0 beta. The program has been buggy at times, but the latest seems ok except for the lingering GUI bugs from earlier versions.

Now that Fengtao has Linux with Wine listed as a supported OS he may want to make sure people can get there License to work.

http://www.dvdfab.net/download.htm

I bought my license so long ago that I dont have the transaction number to request the new key. The number is asked, even if I have a version 3-4 key.

Well I’ve just installed 5.0.3.0 this problem still isn’t fixed and my trial period has run out. I might try completely reinstalling WINE to see if there’s something I missed.

I have to agree with wildchild88 - Fengtao should be looking at this now that the Linux/WINE combo is officially supported.

[quote=@ndyH;2073586]Well I’ve just installed 5.0.3.0 this problem still isn’t fixed and my trial period has run out. I might try completely reinstalling WINE to see if there’s something I missed.

I have to agree with wildchild88 - Fengtao should be looking at this now that the Linux/WINE combo is officially supported.[/quote] Did you get the key for ver.5 or trying to use another ver key, also check your spam filter for the email with the key as it comes from china and your isp might be blocking it thinking it’s spam

[quote=reylafo;2056055]I bought my license so long ago that I dont have the transaction number to request the new key. The number is asked, even if I have a version 3-4 key.[/quote] kinda of late but here ya go in case you didn’t get it http://www.dvdfab.com/retrieveregkey.htm make sure that in the drop down box you have ver #5 and you have to use the same email address that you used when you bought it

Jimbo, the v5 key I have works fine on my old WinXP machine, I’m only having issues with it on my Linux based media box.

I’ve been running Fab HD Decrypter 4.1.2.0 under wine for some time now, currently with 1.0-rc4. It works nearly perfectly except for some gui-menu issues.

anjilslaire, the issue is with the registration key for the FULL version.

Yes, I’m aware. Just throwing in my .02. There are others here that have the full version on Linux as well without issue last I heard.

It may be a regression in wine, or a settings issue. What OS settings are being used in wine, along with other settings…